My Mega Raider build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you on the cheap to start. $150 is hard to beat. Plus, sometimes I think I enjoy the mechanic part of it more than the driving.
Agreed on the wrenching!
Time spent well, better than watching TV.
BTW, would you mind posting a pic of the Raider from top down? So we can see tread?

image.jpeg
Agreed on the wrenching!
BTW, would you mind posting a pic of the Raider from top down? So we can see tread?
Here is the pic of the Anacondas. And I believe I just realized I mounted one backwards (left rear) according to tread direction. Oh well!
Probably paying too much attention to the Mets game that night. Lol

Agreed on the wrenching!
I'm just re reading my post and I guess it's not really the tread that's rounded.... It's the tire itself, whereas only the middle of the tire is contacting pavement when sitting flat ... Kind of like a bicycle tire, instead of the whole width if the tire making contact.

View attachment 1966
Here is the pic of the Anacondas. And I believe I just realized I mounted one backwards (left rear) according to tread direction. Oh well!
Probably paying too much attention to the Mets game that night. Lol

I'm just re reading my post and I guess it's not really the tread that's rounded.... It's the tire itself, whereas only the middle of the tire is contacting pavement when sitting flat ... Kind of like a bicycle tire, instead of the whole width if the tire making contact.

Interesting on the tire rounding. I'm curious to hear how they corner, you going to run on asphalt?
Also, are you still brushed or did you upgrade to brushless yet?

Interesting on the tire rounding. I'm curious to hear how they corner, you going to run on asphalt?
Also, are you still brushed or did you upgrade to brushless yet?
The grip and cornering are great. I think stiffening up the springs for the asphalt and they'll be perfect. At full speed it pushes into the corner with no traction roll at all.
Any little bump where the tires loose contact, they grip right away when it comes down. I don't have much experience with any other street tires, but these seem pretty good!

Still brushed but I've been looking. Lol.
Will the BLS setup give me enough speed to keep going for a while without being bored too quick?

The grip and cornering are great. I think stiffening up the springs for the asphalt and they'll be perfect. At full speed it pushes into the corner with no traction roll at all.
Any little bump where the tires loose contact, they grip right away when it comes down. I don't have much experience with any other street tires, but these seem pretty good!

Still brushed but I've been looking. Lol.
Will the BLS setup give me enough speed to keep going for a while without being bored too quick?

You're comments on the springs and cornering are spot on, although openly admit I have not explored upgrading shocks/springs at all.

On the BLS set-up, is it safe to assume you want to go with that because of "plug & play"?
If that's the case, then I'd suggest you skip the BLS upgrade.
The BLS ESC is $55, motor is $45, that's $100 total for a wussy 35A ESC and "meh" motor.
The Castle Creations ESC and motor will plug and play just as easily and for prob a few bucks more.
But, you'll have a 80A ESC and the freedom to plug in all sorts of brushless motors, from 3900 to 6900+.
Also you can go 2S or 3S LiPo and push yourself to new heights on power and speed.
Imagine, having the power at say 20MPH, to punch the trigger and pop a wheelie.
Or going up a huge hill without a running start, but being able from standing start to power and accelerate up?
Speed, it's not a wish nor desire, it's an addiction!

Last edited:
I would also recommend the castle SCT combo after looking a lot on the web. That is the one that I am going to buy for my fury

You're comments on the springs and cornering are spot on, although openly admit I have explored upgrading shocks/springs at all.

On the BLS set-up, is it safe to assume you want to go with that because of "plug & play"?
If that's the case, then I'd suggest you skip the BLS upgrade.
The BLS ESC is $55, motor is $45, that's $100 total for a wussy 35A ESC and "meh" motor.
The Castle Creations ESC and motor will plug and play just as easily and for prob a few bucks more.
But, you'll have a 80A ESC and the freedom to plug in all sorts of brushless motors, from 3900 to 6900+.
Also you can go 2S or 3S LiPo and push yourself to new heights on power and speed.
Imagine, having the power at say 20MPH, to punch the trigger and pop a wheelie.
Or going up a huge hill without a running start, but being able from standing start to power and accelerate up?
Speed, it's not a wish nor desire, it's an addiction!
Yeah the "plug and play" is a nice bonus..... I was afraid you would say that about the BLS. It's pretty much what I've been thinking but I guess I had to hear someone say it. Lol
I've looked at the Castles here and there..... I guess I'll have to take another look!

Yeah the "plug and play" is a nice bonus..... I was afraid you would say that about the BLS. It's pretty much what I've been thinking but I guess I had to hear someone say it. Lol
I've looked at the Castles here and there..... I guess I'll have to take another look!

I started, same as you, Raider Mega brushed. Found a smokin' deal at Tower on a Onyx ESC/motor, 80A/4500.
It way overpowered the Raider, but I didn't care, I was having a blast, even more after going LiPo.
Then got a S&D Vorteks BLS.
Heh... So I swapped power systems, the Vorteks went from fun to a blast.
The Raider with the BLS? It was better than brushed and I had the system so it was okay.
But a letdown after the Onyx.
So... I started exploring eBay after coming here and found a 60A ESC and 5200 motor, $20 and $21, if I remember. $41 total, not bad.
It is still more than the Raider can handle, needs to be geared down.
Up side: it's cheap and fun, plugged and played, can be programmed with any programming card, even so found the factory default to be fine.
Down side: could there be? Yeah, a lot of guys say the ESC will burn up. IDK if they mean it fries or they literally have flames. Me? I must be the lucky one cuz mine's fine! :)
Sorry for the long winded answer, but it's hotter than Hell outside right now and I've nothing better to do, prob should start wrenching on my Raider, but think I'll kick back instead.
I rec'd CC because I've never heard anything bad on them, most 1/10 guys go for the Sidewinder.
Don't bother emailing CC with questinos, they do not reply, LOL. Although all the major online retailers are glad to answer questions and give advice, like Tower & RC Planet.

I started, same as you, Raider Mega brushed. Found a smokin' deal at Tower on a Onyx ESC/motor, 80A/4500.
It way overpowered the Raider, but I didn't care, I was having a blast, even more after going LiPo.
Then got a S&D Vorteks BLS.
Heh... So I swapped power systems, the Vorteks went from fun to a blast.
The Raider with the BLS? It was better than brushed and I had the system so it was okay.
But a letdown after the Onyx.
So... I started exploring eBay after coming here and found a 60A ESC and 5200 motor, $20 and $21, if I remember. $41 total, not bad.
It is still more than the Raider can handle, needs to be geared down.
Up side: it's cheap and fun, plugged and played, can be programmed with any programming card, even so found the factory default to be fine.
Down side: could there be? Yeah, a lot of guys say the ESC will burn up. IDK if they mean it fries or they literally have flames. Me? I must be the lucky one cuz mine's fine! :)
Sorry for the long winded answer, but it's hotter than Hell outside right now and I've nothing better to do, prob should start wrenching on my Raider, but think I'll kick back instead.
I rec'd CC because I've never heard anything bad on them, most 1/10 guys go for the Sidewinder.
Don't bother emailing CC with questinos, they do not reply, LOL. Although all the major online retailers are glad to answer questions and give advice, like Tower & RC Planet.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I will have to start the research again and get into something soon.
Has your transmission held up to the new power or did you change to the BLX tranny ?

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I will have to start the research again and get into something soon.
Has your transmission held up to the new power or did you change to the BLX tranny ?

I keep hearing "what bout the tranny".
So far, so good.
Do they mean the differential gears?
Because the plastic ones are $10 and metal are $12.

Plastic diff gears
Metal diff gears

You should use the metal ones if you are going brushless

Yes that is the combo that most people recommend for the Short Course

Glad you said that..... Cause I planned on running the stock gears til they broke.
Is this what I should be looking at?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=003068475&I=LXDRLN&P=K
I'm doing the same, run them till they break! LOL!
On that CC combo, you may want to get some suggestions from others.
That particular one includes the fan, darn CC nickel and dime's you on every piece.
The motor is a 3800, which lower kw's - higher torque, digging out of the hole but lower top end.
Also, check specs, it's limited to a 2S LiPo.
This one: Castle Creations 1/10 SV3 Sidewinder WP 4600kV System
Up to 3S LiPo and 4600kw, no fan. Fan is $8.
Programming card? IDK.
I have one but was also happy with the factory settings.
But I go mine for the low, low price of "free" due to some warranty issues, long story, ended happy for me.
If you go with the set-up I linked, you can always experiment with other brushless motors, say like this RC Gear Shop Brushless Motors
I'm running the 5400 and happy with the performance.
But, I'm admittedly an unorthodox basher...
And a bottom-feeder... :cool:

I'm doing the same, run them till they break! LOL!
On that CC combo, you may want to get some suggestions from others.
That particular one includes the fan, darn CC nickel and dime's you on every piece.
The motor is a 3800, which lower kw's - higher torque, digging out of the hole but lower top end.
Also, check specs, it's limited to a 2S LiPo.
This one: Castle Creations 1/10 SV3 Sidewinder WP 4600kV System
Up to 3S LiPo and 4600kw, no fan. Fan is $8.
Programming card? IDK.
I have one but was also happy with the factory settings.
But I go mine for the low, low price of "free" due to some warranty issues, long story, ended happy for me.
If you go with the set-up I linked, you can always experiment with other brushless motors, say like this RC Gear Shop Brushless Motors
I'm running the 5400 and happy with the performance.
But, I'm admittedly an unorthodox basher...
And a bottom-feeder... :cool:

We're down to $95 after the Tower Coupon. This is adding up to one expensive Raider. Lol. Loving every minute of it though!!

Which one did you got Rdub?
Nothing yet but I think I'm leaning toward the Castle SV3 4600 system.
Once I get it I will have two projects on my hands. I will put the stock Mega brushed into my original Blackfoot. Should make that truck a little more fun too!
So in my head it's $50 per truck.... Lol

I know .... I just need to pull the trigger and do it.

Nothing yet but I think I'm leaning toward the Castle SV3 4600 system.
Once I get it I will have two projects on my hands. I will put the stock Mega brushed into my original Blackfoot. Should make that truck a little more fun too!
So in my head it's $50 per truck.... Lol

I know .... I just need to pull the trigger and do it.
Hey guys.... When I do this, I will have to buy a battery connector and solder it on? Just want to make sure I order everything at once..... Soldering not an issue. Would hate to get the new motor only to have to place another order. Lol

Ok so I'm sorry for being a PITA but I just noticed this system says 2s Lipo minimum. I have 7 cell 8.4v. If I need to get into Lipo right away with this motor I'm talking batteries and a new charger just to get started. Red flags will fly with the CFO if you know what I mean. Can I run that Castle on a 8.4 Nimh?
Thanks again for the help..... This forum is awesome!!

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that exact system... according to this link it can run NiMH but looks like they want more voltage like a 10-cell pack - http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/Sidewinder-3-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf (EDIT: Looks like 10S NiMH is the MAX - so my thought is if they support NiMH at all then you'll be fine, if anything just have less power)

I have run 8.4v NiMH packs on ESC/BL systems that only ever said 2S LiPo. While I'm not advocating you should try this (caveat emptor) - there were two issues I had to watch out for:

1. The NiMH packs need to be rated for high current draw. In the past some of my higher capacity packs (3000+) turned out to be rated for something like 15A (or 5C current), the problem was that with a pack like this either the ESC would get pissed and go into dead-battery mode (or some other error condition) - OR - (and worse) my packs would get super super hot which is obviously dangerous. I got a hold of some 3000mAh 8.4v packs rated for something like 50-60A and took it easy on the full-power pulls and never had any further issues other then not getting peak performance out of the system. Never had an issue with motor or ESC getting too hot, just always had to monitor battery temps - but always check all three (motor, ESC, and battery temps).
  2. One ESC had a hard-wired non-programmable LiPO LVC (low voltage cutoff) of 3.2v/cell - yet I'd hit the cutoff pretty early during running, depending on how hard sometimes just 5-7 mins into the run. If this ESC has an option to change the LVC try using 2.8v/cell while you are using NiMH packs.

We're down to $95 after the Tower Coupon. This is adding up to one expensive Raider. Lol. Loving every minute of it though!!
Once you go brush less, you'll be sorry you didn't sooner!

image.jpeg

Finally got my brushless motor. Went with the RC Gear Shop and the BLX esc. Chose that ESC for no other reason than Arrma has me believing in them. Motor cause it was cheap. Lol. Hope neither was a mistake. Got some time off next week.... Hopefully get it installed and see what it can do!
Happy Fathers Day everyone!!

View attachment 2014 Finally got my brushless motor. Went with the RC Gear Shop and the BLX esc. Chose that ESC for no other reason than Arrma has me believing in them. Motor cause it was cheap. Lol. Hope neither was a mistake. Got some time off next week.... Hopefully get it installed and see what it can do!
Happy Fathers Day everyone!!
I'm sure you made no mistakes!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back