My Mega Raider build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably gonna start ripping into this motor/ esc swap tonight. Am I going to have to program the BLX esc? Not much experience with this!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last run on the brushed motor I popped a front shock cap! And just realized I broke the shock mount too. So much for the added shock mount brace. Went out with a bang!! I guess it's on to the Tower site.... and I got some time to work on this!

So the bullet connectors on the esc and the motor are different size. Arrma was nice enough to include the larger ones I need with the ESC, so a little more work, but glad to see they thought ahead with this. One more vote for the Arrma Brand!!

So the bullet connectors on the esc and the motor are different size. Arrma was nice enough to include the larger ones I need with the ESC, so a little more work, but glad to see they thought ahead with this. One more vote for the Arrma Brand!!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised that it's way easier than expected.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised that it's way easier than expected.
Yep....looking forward to a new part of the hobby. I've run plenty of 110 and wire nuts, only minimal soldering but I'm sure I'll be fine!

Sorry, missed the shock cap popping off.
Threads still good?
Can you add some oil and screw it back on?

Yep....looking forward to a new part of the hobby. I've run plenty of 110 and wire nuts, only minimal soldering but I'm sure I'll be fine!

On this thread, @WoodiE posted a great soldering video from YT.
I was never good nor bad at soldering, then for some reason started struggling with it.
See if this makes you feel 100% better:
Thread:
https://arrmaforum.com/threads/i-need-a-deans-connector-to-solder-on-to-a-new-esc.1135/
Direct YT link:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Yep.... Shock all good. Refilled and popped the cap back on!!!

Here's a pic of the broken mount!!!

Been tearing everything down tonight and just got the new RC Gear Shop motor mounted up.

Hopefully get the new ESC soldered up with the bigger bullets tomorrow (thanks for the link to the RC Network vid!!). Once that's done I wait for my Tower order with the shock towers (I ordered 3...lol )

View attachment 2035 View attachment 2034 Yep.... Shock all good. Refilled and popped the cap back on!!!

Here's a pic of the broken mount!!!

Been tearing everything down tonight and just got the new RC Gear Shop motor mounted up.

Hopefully get the new ESC soldered up with the bigger bullets tomorrow (thanks for the link to the RC Network vid!!). Once that's done I wait for my Tower order with the shock towers (I ordered 3...lol )
Those body parts do tend to separate. I've driven a long time with them cracked, my under carriage has been cracked forever, but the car keeps moving!
Glad the soldering tutorial was a plus!

Finally got my RC gear shop motor and BLX esc installed today. First run was through the grass in the backyard and nothing slowed it down!!! Had the original dBoots on for that run. I'll throw my Traxxas Bandit street meat on for the next run and see what it will do. This is all on the 8.4 Nimh. I definitely see Lipo in my future!!

Finally got my RC gear shop motor and BLX esc installed today. First run was through the grass in the backyard and nothing slowed it down!!! Had the original dBoots on for that run. I'll throw my Traxxas Bandit street meat on for the next run and see what it will do. This is all on the 8.4 NiMH. I definitely see LiPo in my future!!
Once you go brushless, you won't go back!
Same's true for LiPo!!!!

Once you go brushless, you won't go back!
Same's true for LiPo!!!!

Need to work on the rear shocks/ springs. Slams right to the ground as soon as it takes off. Using 40wt oil but I think I need some stiffer springs.
I'm sure the Lipo will have it pulling wheelies!

Need to work on the rear shocks/ springs. Slams right to the ground as soon as it takes off. Using 40wt oil but I think I need some stiffer springs.
I'm sure the LiPo will have it pulling wheelies!
Wheelies? Are you kidding me?
You'll be putting the front wheels over the rear and skimming along on the roof! On the Traxxas tires. The street meat? If they are small enough diameter, you'll spin the heck outta them!
That's what the "Steve crystal ball" is calling! LOL!!!

Looks like you're running into alot of the same problems I am! Shocks blow caps every time out, springs are wayyy to soft...

I ordered a set of Traxxas Ultra shocks and the Integy MSR9 spring assortment (posted here) and will be working on getting them installed in the next day or two...

Looks like you're running into alot of the same problems I am! Shocks blow caps every time out, springs are wayyy to soft...

I ordered a set of Traxxas Ultra shocks and the Integy MSR9 spring assortment (posted here) and will be working on getting them installed in the next day or two...

Saw your post in the Raider section. Looking forward to hearing how they work out.

Pick yourself up a set of 75mm long Fastrax Medium springs,they're quite cheap and are much stiffer than the stock ones.

Just ordered a set. Seemed like a nice cheap first step!! Stay tuned.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Fastrax springs are on. Fronts fit perfect. Needed the spacers on the rear to make em work. We'll see how they do next run.

So I put some new dog bones on rear end, along with some new HPI Geolandar tires. I did not replace the slightly worn axles/cups.

Figured a five minute test run under the street light wouldn't hurt. WRONG. Lost a brand new dog bone into the dark of the blacktop....... Should've changed those axles.

But..... Those Geolandars were super sticky before it spit the bone!! Wheelied like it had never wheelied before!!!! Had enough fun though, that I will be ordering those axles (and dog bones again) :mad: tonight. Back to my Blackfoot for a few days!!

Edit: Geolandars are on my Blackfoot ( which are great tires). The new tires on The Raider were ProLine Dirt Hawgs !!

Last edited:
So I put some new dog bones on rear end, along with some new HPI Geolandar tires. I did not replace the slightly worn axles/cups.

Figured a five minute test run under the street light wouldn't hurt. WRONG. Lost a brand new dog bone into the dark of the blacktop....... Should've changed those axles.

But..... Those Geolandars were super sticky before it spit the bone!! Wheelied like it had never wheelied before!!!! Had enough fun though, that I will be ordering those axles (and dog bones again) :mad: tonight. Back to my Blackfoot for a few days!!

I think it was on FB, I saw a guy put loose tie-straps around his linkage and dogbones, said he didn't lose dogbones any longer. If I run across the pic, I'll post it for you.
On the dogbones themselves, while I hate to skip by Tower, they are $10 for a pair. eBay has them for $3 or so, but they are 61mm. The OEM dogbones are 60.5MM. Between you, me and bashers around the world, I can't see a half a mm making a bit of difference.

But I feel your pain, when those buggers fall out, it's like playing ten dollar "where's Waldo"...

I think it was on FB, I saw a guy put loose tie-straps around his linkage and dogbones, said he didn't lose dogbones any longer. If I run across the pic, I'll post it for you.
On the dogbones themselves, while I hate to skip by Tower, they are $10 for a pair. eBay has them for $3 or so, but they are 61mm. The OEM dogbones are 60.5MM. Between you, me and bashers around the world, I can't see a half a mm making a bit of difference.

But I feel your pain, when those buggers fall out, it's like playing ten dollar "where's Waldo"...

Thanks for the heads up. At $3 I think I will give them a try.

Thanks for the heads up. At $3 I think I will give them a try.

When I was looking around eBay for the dogbones, all the ones I found were from china, so 7-21 day delivery?
That's okay for a stock or toolbox order, but not when you are becalmed or dead-in-the-water.
Maybe a deeper dive would reveal a USA outlet?

When I was looking around eBay for the dogbones, all the ones I found were from china, so 7-21 day delivery?
That's okay for a stock or toolbox order, but not when you are becalmed or dead-in-the-water.
Maybe a deeper dive would reveal a USA outlet?

Added them on to a Tower order I had been building. Used the code for $15 off $50 which I saw on another thread yesterday. I will definitely look into eBay for some spares. Thinking I should get some spare axles too with the way they wore out. One of my bones was bent pretty good, so I guess that may have caused the excessive wear on the cup.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back