My Mega Raider build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added them on to a Tower order I had been building. Used the code for $15 off $50 which I saw on another thread yesterday. I will definitely look into eBay for some spares. Thinking I should get some spare axles too with the way they wore out. One of my bones was bent pretty good, so I guess that may have caused the excessive wear on the cup.
Tower codes match to the account, may not work for you.

Hi

It's not account associated as far as I know, the code wasn't sent to me, I just found it on one of those coupon sites and if I remember right it is good until Nov.

So I put some new dog bones on rear end, along with some new HPI Geolandar tires. I did not replace the slightly worn axles/cups.

Figured a five minute test run under the street light wouldn't hurt. WRONG. Lost a brand new dog bone into the dark of the blacktop....... Should've changed those axles.

But..... Those Geolandars were super sticky before it spit the bone!! Wheelied like it had never wheelied before!!!! Had enough fun though, that I will be ordering those axles (and dog bones again) :mad: tonight. Back to my Blackfoot for a few days!!

Edit: Geolandars are on my Blackfoot ( which are great tires). The new tires on The Raider were ProLine Dirt Hawgs !!

Hi

You can get UVD's from Team Durango that will fit onto your Mega.

Here is a link to the UVD's
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXBC&P=7

And a link to someone that has put them in.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/885284-build-complete-arrma-raider.html

Last edited:
Hi

It's not account associated as far as I know, the code wasn't sent to me, I just found it on one of those coupon sites and if I remember right it is good until Nov.

Hi

You can get UVD's from Team Durango that will fit onto your Mega.

Here is a link to the UVD's
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXBC&P=7

And a link to someone that has put them in.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/885284-build-complete-arrma-raider.html

That's a bit pricey for axles but I guess they'd be worth it in the long run. I will put them on the list and see when I can pull the trigger.

I've seen that post with that Raider-- that's some car he built. TY for reminding me to refer back to it. He does need a little dirt on it though. Lol

Tower codes match to the account, may not work for you.

It went through so far. Hopefully it doesn't get added back on once they process!

does this help with steering wobble ??

It may have helped a little. I changed to these fairly quickly so the stock steering was still pretty tight. I just know I like to wrench on these cars, so my main concern was getting rid of those annoying e clips.

It went through so far. Hopefully it doesn't get added back on once they process!

Tower's great about honoring prices. They made a couple mistakes which I jumped on, immediately after I paid, the price jumped up!

image.jpeg
Added some STRC steering blocks and replaced rear axles! About a minute in to a test run I realized I forgot to put the o ring inside the axle cup...... Dog bones saved ;)

image.jpeg
I had these tie rods for a while. Decided the plastic ones prob had some more give to them and may be more forgiving so I held off.

Was tinkering around tonight and decided to finally put them on. We'll see how it goes.

View attachment 2899 I had these tie rods for a while. Decided the plastic ones prob had some more give to them and may be more forgiving so I held off.

Was tinkering around tonight and decided to finally put them on. We'll see how it goes.
You're going to really like upgrading those tie rods.
With the plastic ones, running sup 20MPH, they work good enough.
But when you get more speed, it's as though, with plastic ones, you can get a true steering trim.

How do you like the Anaconda's in front?
I have them in back.
Hated them on the Vorteks, was going to give them away, then tried them on the Raider and it is a great match.

You're going to really like upgrading those tie rods.
With the plastic ones, running sup 20MPH, they work good enough.
But when you get more speed, it's as though, with plastic ones, you can get a true steering trim.

How do you like the Anaconda's in front?
I have them in back.
Hated them on the Vorteks, was going to give them away, then tried them on the Raider and it is a great match.

Just messing with the car in the house the steering seems much tighter. Hopefully the same goes for the street.
I like the Anacondas on the front but wasn't crazy about them on back. Went for the ProLine Dirt Hawgs for the back and so far I love them.

I would like to get a nice set of stiff pin tires on the rear for the grass though. Any recommendations?

Just messing with the car in the house the steering seems much tighter. Hopefully the same goes for the street.
I like the Anacondas on the front but wasn't crazy about them on back. Went for the ProLine Dirt Hawgs for the back and so far I love them.

I would like to get a nice set of stiff pin tires on the rear for the grass though. Any recommendations?

I got some ProLine Dirt Hawgs too but sadly have not put them to the test yet.
The heat finally seems to have broke in the desert and we're finally getting out of the triple digits.
Hopefully I can put them to the test soon.
What is a pin tire?
I've been toying with getting these, now that I have 12-17 adapters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-RC-Pro...976276?hash=item33a6cfebd4:g:iF8AAOSwDNdVvTLJ

I got some ProLine Dirt Hawgs too but sadly have not put them to the test yet.
The heat finally seems to have broke in the desert and we're finally getting out of the triple digits.
Hopefully I can put them to the test soon.
What is a pin tire?
I've been toying with getting these, now that I have 12-17 adapters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-RC-Pro...976276?hash=item33a6cfebd4:g:iF8AAOSwDNdVvTLJ
image.png

Those are some nice looking tires!!! Maybe I have the name wrong, but I'm talking about about a tire similar to what on this Kyosho Optima. I had one of these years (and years) ago and these tires got it through the grass with no issues at all. And that was old school stock brushed power... Which wasn't much.
I figured a nice stiff pin tire on the back of my Raider would have the same effect through the grass.

Just ordered these from Amain - came to $15 with foam inserts which I thought was pretty good
https://www.amainhobbies.com/schuma...309?v=170804&gclid=COPixOuZt88CFYQvgQodo9cBEA

Stay tuned for the results!

Last edited:
View attachment 2908

Those are some nice looking tires!!! Maybe I have the name wrong, but I'm talking about about a tire similar to what on this Kyosho Optima. I had one of these years (and years) ago and these tires got it through the grass with no issues at all. And that was old school stock brushed power... Which wasn't much.
I figured a nice stiff pin tire on the back of my Raider would have the same effect through the grass.
Yeah, that looks like it would do well in the grass.
On this one FB page I follow, I've seen guys take their young sons to football/baseball fields, let them run the Granite.
I was thinking, the Granite tires, just because of the sheer size and dia are a natural for the grass.
They are pricey though, like $30/pair.
But what about a cheapie eBay knock-off for 1/8th RC, then use the 12-17 adapters?
Maybe that's too much of a reach.

Ok. So I had it out on the driveway testing the new tie rods. Waaaaaay better than the plastic. During some real easy up and down the driveway it spit a dog bone again. The axles are new, the bones are new. I need to order some new o rings cause they are original and the out drives look a little worn but not to where it should be spittin bones out (at least to my eye). I double checked the manual and the bones were the right part number. I thought maybe they were too short cause there is quite a bit of play. I'm to the point of ripping out the diff unless you guys can point me to something im missing.

Can the old o rings be that worn causing enough excess play to where the bones come flying out?

So as I sit watching my NY Mets try to hang on to their playoff hopes...... The impulse has overcome me to order the BLX gearbox set up. My next free moments I will start ripping it apart and see what's going on inside.
I also have on back order the universal joint driveshaft set up from HPI as done in this build by RCTech http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/885284-build-complete-arrma-raider.html

This is one nice build for you Raider fans out there!

Ok. So I had it out on the driveway testing the new tie rods. Waaaaaay better than the plastic. During some real easy up and down the driveway it spit a dog bone again. The axles are new, the bones are new. I need to order some new o rings cause they are original and the out drives look a little worn but not to where it should be spittin bones out (at least to my eye). I double checked the manual and the bones were the right part number. I thought maybe they were too short cause there is quite a bit of play. I'm to the point of ripping out the diff unless you guys can point me to something im missing.

Can the old o rings be that worn causing enough excess play to where the bones come flying out?

So as I sit watching my NY Mets try to hang on to their playoff hopes...... The impulse has overcome me to order the BLX gearbox set up. My next free moments I will start ripping it apart and see what's going on inside.
I also have on back order the universal joint driveshaft set up from HPI as done in this build by RCTech http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/885284-build-complete-arrma-raider.html

This is one nice build for you Raider fans out there!

Did you find the dogbones?
Also, could you pick up the o-rings at Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace in the fastener dept? Match it up?

C'mon man! Take the brushless dive!!! :cool:

Did you find the dogbones?
Also, could you pick up the o-rings at Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace in the fastener dept? Match it up?

C'mon man! Take the brushless dive!!! :cool:

Yeah this time the dog bone stayed close. As as I heard something "off" I slowed it down and then it popped.

I went brushless a while ago with the RC gear shop and BLX esc. Just havn't gone Lipo yet

Yeah this time the dog bone stayed close. As as I heard something "off" I slowed it down and then it popped.

I went brushless a while ago with the RC gear shop and BLX esc. Just havn't gone LiPo yet

I was initially intimidated to go LiPo, all the horror stories, blah, blah, blah.
Turns out, they're easier and faster to charge.
And IMHO, most of the "LiPo horror stories" are from irresponsible use, storage and charging.
I'm not trying to push you into it, but if I were a gambling man, I'd wager the farm you'll be a happier RC-er when you do.
BTW, Horizon Hobby has a great YT on care and charging for LiPos.

Did the metal gear conversion on the diff last night. Wasn't too bad at all. I only wish I had ordered more 10 mm hex button heads. Had to put a few Phillips back in on the rebuild. Other than that it was a good night of wrenchin'.

Did the metal gear conversion on the diff last night. Wasn't too bad at all. I only wish I had ordered more 10 mm hex button heads. Had to put a few Phillips back in on the rebuild. Other than that it was a good night of wrenchin'.
A night of wrenchin' is better than a night of TV!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back