My MIP drivers suck, are there better options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Forked it out for some MIP hex drivers 2-3 months ago and honestly they suck for the price. Yes, they seemed amazing at first and fit nice and tighter than anything else I've tried brand new. Now I'm a few weeks in and the 2.0mm driver is already not fitting as tight and I'm stripping screws about as fast as I was with the cheaper drivers I replaced that were a year old.

Is that just how it goes with hex drivers or is there a better option out there? Or should I just buy the Amazon cheapos and replace them every 3 or 4 months as needed? Really expected better quality paying about $50 for 3 hex drivers.

Normal hex drivers, using standard Arrma and Traxxas screws. They seemed amazing at first but the 2.0mm very quickly has lost its tight fit, doesn't fit any tighter than my old 2.0mm. I've been trying to be careful not to overtighten to the point I'm having loose screws issues regularly when bashing.

I think they suck too tbh. I've broken 2 tips in pinions and for the price I feel like they are fragile af. Maybe my big ass is just that strong 🤣

Mine started to round at the corners too and it was the 2.0

I think they suck too tbh. I've broken 2 tips in pinions and for the price I feel like they are fragile af. Maybe my big ass is just that strong 🤣

Mine started to round at the corners too and it was the 2.0
Interesting. I wonder if there is something about the 2.0 tip or because the 2.0 gets used more.

I have to agree. The 2.0 one started to round. Just bought another one though. Lol

If MIP aren't working for you then nothing else will be better.

A master craftsmen will use the same tool for a lifetime but an amateur will wear them out very quickly. That doesn't mean the tool is low quality.

My recommendation is to buy a pick set and pick all the dirt and grime out of the fastener before your attempt to release it. And make sure the tool is all the way into the slot before turning. Picks are available from the dollar store.

I use my MIP tools two or three times a week for the last 13 months and they are still look perfect and I've never stripped a screw.

Forked it out for some MIP hex drivers 2-3 months ago and honestly they suck for the price. Yes, they seemed amazing at first and fit nice and tighter than anything else I've tried brand new. Now I'm a few weeks in and the 2.0mm driver is already not fitting as tight and I'm stripping screws about as fast as I was with the cheaper drivers I replaced that were a year old.

Is that just how it goes with hex drivers or is there a better option out there? Or should I just buy the Amazon cheapos and replace them every 3 or 4 months as needed? Really expected better quality paying about $50 for 3 hex drivers.
I've heard that you can gently grind the very end off to get rid of the rounded ends. Just make sure that you grind it right @ 90°

Well I'm far from a master craftsman and have had some serious nerve issues that has caused a lot of pain, numbness, and loss of dexterity in my hands. RC projects that used to take 30 minutes often take me several hours now because I have to stop constantly due to my hands. Maybe I'm not noticing the grit and grime on some screws and that is letting them round easier?

I guess I can get a replacement and get a pick set to make sure I'm getting a full bite every time.

If you want something different, give Wera a try. They're a high quality German tool company that I've been really happy with. One thing that might be worth mentioning is to make sure the hex socket is clear of any dirt or debris before you work on it to ensure than the tip of the driver seats properly in the screw. I like to use fine point tweezers to loosen anything and then blow it out. Just a thought.

FYI my tips broke while tightening the pinion and not removing it. I've had zero problems with the drill version. It's the hand held ones 😱
I've broken a couple of them tightening grub screws on pinions too. I must be too strong like you! 😆

You are abusing your MIP hex drivers. Sorry. You are simply doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

MIP's here for 25+ years now. Only on my second replacement set as of recently. Tons of wrenching hours on them. The 1.5mm driver will always wear out fast. Any brand. Food for thought.
I also have the AMZ cheapos and a set of Vanquish products. The cheapos are just cheap. Yet serve a purpose on ocassion.
Don't use ball hex drivers, and expect them to last either, no matter the brand. And especially if you abuse them also. Once ruined, it's a wrap. I always wipe the tips down also. Need to care for these tools.
If you are rough on your tools, just get cheapo stuff and keep replacing them and the ruined hardware that results. What else can I say.
Wrenching on cruddy dirty, or rusted Hex heads will also ruin most any hex driver and fastener. That is user error.
If using SS hardware, they will always strip out no matter the Hex driver you have there.
Get yourself cheapo stuff if you are not into MIP. You might be happier??? IDK.
I got them all here. Clearly for me, MIP is the best at any price.
Just me.

Last edited:
Around two years in for me, no issues what so ever.
I was so impressed with them I went and bought the speed tips and the nut wrenches too 😎
Use your tools correctly is my advise, clean your bolt heads as others have said, and use heat when removing loctite'd bolts..!!
Wera are good too, but not as tight fitting as MIP's.. I use Wera's when working on my O8s as the bolts are bigger and I wrench the the least..(y)

Have both handheld and tips. No problem with either. They are not beyond stripping a hex if the hex is rounded or red loctite. Make sure to clean the hex if needed before trying to seat the driver. Use plenty of heat on the loctite. Crazy how Arrma will apply red loctite to some screws and none to others……ugh.

Around two years in for me, no issues what so ever.
I was so impressed with them I went and bought the speed tips and the nut wrenches too 😎
Use your tools correctly is my advise, clean your bolt heads as others have said, and use heat when removing loctite'd bolts..!!
Wera are good too, but not as tight fitting as MIP's.. I use Wera's when working on my O8s as the bolts are bigger and I wrench the the least..(y)
My Wera 2.0 fits so tight that I have to press it in. It almost doesn't fit. I don't think it's physically possible for a tip to fit any tighter. But that's just been my experience. YMMV :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back