My MIP drivers suck, are there better options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my MIP have lasted the test of time but sometimes I do wonder if my 2.0 driver was wearing as I have stripped a few screws also. Could be the bad quality screws. I will say the handles kind of suck though for lots of wrenching. If your looking for high quality still, probably better then MIP, I will say give Hudy drivers a try. I’ve got a few of them (mostly Phillips drivers for the kyoshos I had) and they are awsome, light weight, carbon drivers and comfortable.
The handles are one of the things I like about the MIP's. I also have a Turnigy set and the handles have like zero grip. The MIP's never slip in hand.

The only gripe I have about the MIP's is that their not long enough. I have so use the Turnigy's to do certain jobs.

IMO, MIP are one of the best RC tools I have purchased.

The handles are one of the things I like about the MIP's. I also have a Turnigy set and the handles have like zero grip. The MIP's never slip in hand.

The only gripe I have about the MIP's is that their not long enough. I have so use the Turnigy's to do certain jobs.

IMO, MIP are one of the best RC tools I have purchased.
Totally agree with the above..

Also have a look at Wera if they are available in your area (y) :cool:

Tool & fastener abuse!!!!!!!! #1 cause of good tools going bad!!!! Calm down on the righty tighty stuff!!! Also another good brand is Wiha (Germany), they have all of our sizes and some cool kits too... Mike

I do treat all my tools the same, whether its abuse or not i don't know.🤣

I just know my cheap Hobbypark 2.0mm driver lasted a few months longer than my MIP 2.0. 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:
I bought a single 2.0 MIP replacement, if it last I'll be happy, if not Im going to try the McMaster Carr set.

Tool & fastener abuse!!!!!!!! #1 cause of good tools going bad!!!! Calm down on the righty tighty stuff!!! Also another good brand is Wiha (Germany), they have all of our sizes and some cool kits too... Mike

When you have 2 different tools used exactly the same 1 lasts 6 months the other has lasted over 3 years. At that point I think it's the tool not the tool using the tool.

I have oversize hands and so far, the MIP drivers both power and hand style have been great for me. However, I'm a machinist/assembler by trade and I can feel a soft fastener by hand. As soon as I get it out or try to install and I feel that give, I replace said fastener with my Vigrue 14.9 rated screw and/or dump the button head for a SHCS.

Having said as much, I'm sure that MIP equivalents or better are out there. I have experience with Wera, Wiha and Knipex and they are all astounding tools.

When you have 2 different tools used exactly the same 1 lasts 6 months the other has lasted over 3 years. At that point I think it's the tool not the tool using the tool.

Yup, I've bought about 5 MIP 2.0mm drivers through the years, the first few definitely had better tips than the last few.

I have oversize hands and so far, the MIP drivers both power and hand style have been great for me. However, I'm a machinist/assembler by trade and I can feel a soft fastener by hand. As soon as I get it out or try to install and I feel that give, I replace said fastener with my Vigrue 14.9 rated screw and/or dump the button head for a SHCS.

Having said as much, I'm sure that MIP equivalents or better are out there. I have experience with Wera, Wiha and Knipex and they are all astounding tools.
I'm a big proponent of Wera tools myself. I like the ergonomic paddle style handles on their hex drivers as they give you a nice wide pad to press down on firmly and a wider pad to apply torque. The tips on the 2mm hex drivers are tighter than a frogs country diner. Admittedly I have yet to try MIP but I haven't felt any need for improvement. I don't believe in the concept of perfect...but Wera ratchets come pretty damned close.

I'm a big proponent of Wera tools myself. I like the ergonomic paddle style handles on their hex drivers as they give you a nice wide pad to press down on firmly and a wider pad to apply torque. The tips on the 2mm hex drivers are tighter than a frogs country diner. Admittedly I have yet to try MIP but I haven't felt any need for improvement. I don't believe in the concept of perfect...but Wera ratchets come pretty damned close.
Of course you don't believe in perfect, because it doesn't exist.... But we strive for it.

When what's available doesn't suit me, I make my own.

IMG_5859.JPG

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back