My MIP drivers suck, are there better options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the US, if it's made in China it must be labeled as such.

It's not a Chinese thing. There are contract manufacturers all over the world (there are 5 down the street from me) that builds stuff. So it's not really a secret, but it's not typically public info either.

Like where was the computer you are using now built? Maybe it's Malyasia, Mexico, China or the US, but it's probably not a Lenovo building with Lenovo employees? They might design it but building (assembly and test) is typically done outside.
He was talking about Arma RC cars.

We already know that material coming from china might have a spec stamped or labeled on the part that doesn’t meet the spec when verifying material with a hardness tester. Don’t just trust Chinese quality claims…
Arrma's 7075 parts come to mind.

Just as follow up, I asked Horizon Hobbies about the country of origin. They confirmed most of the Arrma products are manufactured in China.
Most of Horizon's products are made in China. I think the only things that aren't are the TLR race kits.

Had the MIP imperial and metric sets for well over 20 years. Use them on all my RC vehicles, firearms and my 3D printers. Zero issues. Cannot say the same for many others manufactures I have tried. In my opinion, there isn’t anything better.

I bet they made them better 20 years ago. :ROFLMAO:

If MIP aren't working for you then nothing else will be better.

A master craftsmen will use the same tool for a lifetime but an amateur will wear them out very quickly. That doesn't mean the tool is low quality.

My recommendation is to buy a pick set and pick all the dirt and grime out of the fastener before your attempt to release it. And make sure the tool is all the way into the slot before turning. Picks are available from the dollar store.

I use my MIP tools two or three times a week for the last 13 months and they are still look perfect and I've never stripped a screw.
agreed mine too, i have speed tips and handheld new ones as well no issues as long as done properly.

I KNOW they were made better 20 years ago. Hard to compare. Have several tools I won't let others borrow or use. Can't find a replacement that will ever work the same.
I've been using the same craftsman yellow handled long straight snips for over 20yrs now & I won't let the fngs touch em!

Someone in here suggested the mcmaster? tools and I ordered some a few days ago. They got here today and they seem really good for the price.

I’ve been using MIP drivers for about 9 years, I go through a 2.0mm about once a year (I wrench a LOT!).

The MIP quality might have gone down a little bit, I had a brand new 2.0 lose its edge on its first use last week trying to extract a Team Associated screw. They’re still very good though. HUDY is also very good, but expensive.

Crappy RTR (HPI, Arrma, poorly assembled kits) screws will quickly take the edge off an MIP IMO. If either is rounded, it’ll round the other. 🙁

6 months old 2nd one I snapped in my set of 4. Going back to less $$.

IMG_20230515_123013.jpg

I found my MIP have lasted the test of time but sometimes I do wonder if my 2.0 driver was wearing as I have stripped a few screws also. Could be the bad quality screws. I will say the handles kind of suck though for lots of wrenching. If your looking for high quality still, probably better then MIP, I will say give Hudy drivers a try. I’ve got a few of them (mostly Phillips drivers for the kyoshos I had) and they are awsome, light weight, carbon drivers and comfortable.
892428E2-5660-4788-875C-15F6C839D358.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back