Typhon My motor isn't repairable - need replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkern88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
The drive shaft side bearing completely disintegrated and the inner race came out with the shaft. So now I have the outer race of the bearing stuck in the motor and I'm not seeing an easy way to get it out for replacement. I might be looking and getting a new motor, but I don't want to spend over $100 for another firma 3200kv.

What's the recommendation for a replacement that's comparable and easy on the pocketbook?

You can;

Cut the outer race with a Dremel carbide close to all the way through and pop it with a driver to relieve it..

Drill 2) 3mm holes opposite of each other right at the outer race and push it out with a punch and hammer...

Put focused heat on the face of the can in a circular fashion around the bearing bore, with enough quick heat you can turn the can over and tap it on your work surface it will fall out..
Can also tap the face of the can with a plastic screwdriver handle, several sharp quick whacks.. (this of course works better for a race that hasn't spun in the bore)

Or still buy a new motor.. options are good..

Off course all of the above is wasted time if the kevlar on the rotor is smoked..

Best of luck..🤞

You can;

Cut the outer race with a Dremel carbide close to all the way through and pop it with a driver to relieve it..

Drill 2) 3mm holes opposite of each other right at the outer race and push it out with a punch and hammer...

Put focused heat on the face of the can in a circular fashion around the bearing bore, with enough quick heat you can turn the can over and tap it on your work surface it will fall out..
Can also tap the face of the can with a plastic screwdriver handle, several sharp quick whacks.. (this of course works better for a race that hasn't spun in the bore)

Or still buy a new motor.. options are good..

Off course all of the above is wasted time if the kevlar on the rotor is smoked..

Best of luck..🤞
I've heard some other weird strategies before, like put your motor in the freezer for a few hours and then the bearing should fall right out. Never tried that though.

I drilled some very small holes through the top face of the motor where the bearing's outer race would be and used carpenter nails to gently tap the motor out. Makes for good repeatability as well. OP, i would recommend replacing the bearing rather than spending money on a new motor--if it's just the bearing that is shot.

If you haven't read about sealing or venting the power module, i suggest searching and reading up on that. That's likely the source of what caused your destroyed bearing. If you don't address that, you'll soon kill the new bearing or motor. I know @Camaroboy383 had a solution from a while ago about sealing the power module. I personally did the cut-a-slot-in-the-bottom-of-the-chassis solution and haven't had any problems since.

The rocket/surpass motors are great. 3665, 3050kv with a 15t pinion (I like Roberson racing) fits the swb well, gives a good balance of torque snd speed without too much heat. You have to get a new pinion as it won’t take a safety d one. I’ve heard the safety d can be drilled but never tried it.

I have a Surpass 3670/2850 motor in my Typhon 3s. I went down in kv when I had belted Trencher HP tires on it. I have regular buggy tires on it now so I have the motor geared up.

I've heard some other weird strategies before, like put your motor in the freezer for a few hours and then the bearing should fall right out. Never tried that though.

I drilled some very small holes through the top face of the motor where the bearing's outer race would be and used carpenter nails to gently tap the motor out. Makes for good repeatability as well. OP, i would recommend replacing the bearing rather than spending money on a new motor--if it's just the bearing that is shot.

If you haven't read about sealing or venting the power module, i suggest searching and reading up on that. That's likely the source of what caused your destroyed bearing. If you don't address that, you'll soon kill the new bearing or motor. I know @Camaroboy383 had a solution from a while ago about sealing the power module. I personally did the cut-a-slot-in-the-bottom-of-the-chassis solution and haven't had any problems since.
Freeze trick did not work for me. Then again I didn't try to hard. May work for others.
My castle motor. Ended up using a drill bit and a punch..

20220609_201611.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back