Kraton My Next RC - Typhon, Infraction, Mojave, or XMaxx???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyev

Reaction score
I finished building my first Arrma rig (fully rebuilt/customized Kraton EXB) and am having a blast with it. Still working out my issues with short battery life (12min on 5500maH lipo) but other than that it's dialed in and it's been fantastic. Just need to work on my driving/jumping skills! Which leads me to....what's next? I know, eventually I'll have all models on the list, but since I'm into rebuilding/customizing, I can unfortunately only focus on one at a time.

I was first looking at maybe a Mojave EXB, mainly because it looks so cool and a large short course truck seems appealing to me. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like it would be a bit close in terms of driving experience to my Kraton, considering that I mainly run in open grass fields with some jumps.

So my next thought was going for a road-basher Typhon build - dialed in to have quick acceleration and top speeds, with a "glued to the pavement" feel, but not so fast to be a pure speed-runner. The appeal of this type of build would be the focus on getting the ultimate performance and handling, yet with tons of acceleration and speed. I do have access to open farm roads etc with a 15min drive. I REALLY like the Mojave, but I feel like this sort of Typhon experience would be far more different to my Kraton than a Mojave would.

But drifting in big empty parking lots also looks like a blast, which leads me to consider the Infraction. Not sure if the Felony is better than the Infraction or not, but I think I like the look of the Infraction slightly more (Felony also looks cool though).

Finally, I don't think I've ruled out an X-Maxx yet... While I think it would also be a somewhat similar experience to my Kraton running in an open field, it's the sheer size of the thing and running on 8s that might make it different enough to be my next RC. Combined with the fact that working on it would be a totally different experience than I just had rebuilding/customizing my Kraton. The chassis photos make it seem like an inviting platform to work on.

I know, eventually I'll, own all of them - but I have to pick one to focus on for the next 4-6 months or so.... Thoughts?

The mojave and kraton are two totally different animals. And if you run stock parts on the mojave it's going to try to go airborne at 50-60mph. I built all the rest of the off road rigs before i did a mojave and then once i did it quickly became one of my top 2 favorites. The typhon is awesome as long as you have a smoother terrain if you run stock tires. I did drop 2 down onto hoons/1/8 grp's for street use. You can step up to a 20t pinion on stock electronics and have a blast in parking lots. They sit a little higher than the infraction so if there are rocks or it's uneven you are still good to go. The typhon and talion are missiles! I have 3 typhons, 2 talions, a truggified typhon that is pretty much an outcast, another outcast, mojave, and a kraton. The kraton is my least run of them all :ROFLMAO:
The xmaxx is nice, and will run in the 40's stock. I have one with a max6 in it and geared 22/50 and it hits 48 on gravel. The other is a full beefcake build with a max5/800kv geared 1:1. I've heard the larger power systems tend to eat diffs alive and there aren't really any better options other than shim/kill/replace it. I haven't got there yet. Of course the xmaxx won't corner as well and is kinda boring unless you can jump it a little.
Since you already have a lwb option, snag a swb rig. The typhon's shocks are stupid expensive by themselves thanks to the 3/4s guys modding their rigs with them. Jennysrc and other sites used to charge $50 for all 4 and now it's up over $100. At least if you buy it you can get the wider arms/drive shafts/shocks off a kraton/outcast for a decent price if you want to convert it to an outcast or your own frankenstein rig. Side note senton towers are great for mounting bug bodies or other truck bodies from pro line. I run typhon rear shocks on the front and talion rears on the back of my "truggified" typhon running 4s outcast tires on kraton arms.

The mojave and kraton are two totally different animals. And if you run stock parts on the mojave it's going to try to go airborne at 50-60mph. I built all the rest of the off road rigs before i did a mojave and then once i did it quickly became one of my top 2 favorites. The typhon is awesome as long as you have a smoother terrain if you run stock tires. I did drop 2 down onto hoons/1/8 grp's for street use. You can step up to a 20t pinion on stock electronics and have a blast in parking lots. They sit a little higher than the infraction so if there are rocks or it's uneven you are still good to go. The typhon and talion are missiles! I have 3 typhons, 2 talions, a truggified typhon that is pretty much an outcast, another outcast, mojave, and a kraton. The kraton is my least run of them all :ROFLMAO:
The xmaxx is nice, and will run in the 40's stock. I have one with a max6 in it and geared 22/50 and it hits 48 on gravel. The other is a full beefcake build with a max5/800kv geared 1:1. I've heard the larger power systems tend to eat diffs alive and there aren't really any better options other than shim/kill/replace it. I haven't got there yet. Of course the xmaxx won't corner as well and is kinda boring unless you can jump it a little.
Since you already have a lwb option, snag a swb rig. The typhon's shocks are stupid expensive by themselves thanks to the 3/4s guys modding their rigs with them. Jennysrc and other sites used to charge $50 for all 4 and now it's up over $100. At least if you buy it you can get the wider arms/drive shafts/shocks off a kraton/outcast for a decent price if you want to convert it to an outcast or your own frankenstein rig. Side note senton towers are great for mounting bug bodies or other truck bodies from pro line. I run typhon rear shocks on the front and talion rears on the back of my "truggified" typhon running 4s outcast tires on kraton arms.
Thanks, and nice fleet! Maybe I'm leaning away from the Mojave too quickly based on this. But you mentioned that the X-Maxx can be a touch duller without jumps - would the Mojave be in that camp as well, especially if my options to run it are limited to open grass fields? Would this experience be as enjoyable as ripping a Typhon around the street with crazy handling and acceleration in a smaller form factor?

Thanks, and nice fleet! Maybe I'm leaning away from the Mojave too quickly based on this. But you mentioned that the X-Maxx can be a touch duller without jumps - would the Mojave be in that camp as well, especially if my options to run it are limited to open grass fields? Would this experience be as enjoyable as ripping a Typhon around the street with crazy handling and acceleration in a smaller form factor?
I liked hanging the mojave out in the gravel. It has an achilles heel with rocks getting in around the steering though. I have a t bone fender set on it, and a just bash it chassis. I'd put the scorched rc fenders on it but i don't think they fit the just bash it chassis though. My favorite for open grass fields is the talion, but with you already having the kraton it may be too similar. Ripping typhons on the street is a blast. I built 2 to do it and i'm cannibalizing one to try to fit a lightning mcqueen body on it :ROFLMAO: The street typhon would be a good compliment to the kraton i'd think since you have an off road ripper and an on road one that way. I run mojave arms on my regular ripper and had the second one set up on typhon arms but with infraction towers/shocks for a lower leaner look

typhon2.jpg

typhon9.jpg

typhon11.jpg

I'll personally never recommend a Traxxas because I can't stand the way their company operates and if you want a 5th scale you go with something from Losi

But Mojaves and Infractions are badass.

Yeah I know, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone disagree with the fact that Traxxas takes a highly unethical approach to dealing with the competition, leaving the entire hobby worse off as a result..... Still, the X-Max has a lot of fans out there.

But leaning towards a Typhon I think, especially after seeing @calebgilmore’s photos!

But the idea of an Infraction sounds like a blast too.

Between those two, I guess the difference is, do I want to go all out road performance with a Typhon, or do I go wild drifting mayhem with an Infraction....

I do feel like the Typhon may be slightly more versatile just because of the extra ground clearance. Also, I was wondering whether with an Infraction I might risk pissing people off leaving black tire marks all over public parking lots!!

Really want to go with a Mojave but I think since I’d simply be running it in grass fields like my Kraton I am leaning more towards a Typhon I think.

Yeah I know, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone disagree with the fact that Traxxas takes a highly unethical approach to dealing with the competition, leaving the entire hobby worse off as a result..... Still, the X-Max has a lot of fans out there.

But leaning towards a Typhon I think, especially after seeing @calebgilmore’s photos!

But the idea of an Infraction sounds like a blast too.

Between those two, I guess the difference is, do I want to go all out road performance with a Typhon, or do I go wild drifting mayhem with an Infraction....

I do feel like the Typhon may be slightly more versatile just because of the extra ground clearance. Also, I was wondering whether with an Infraction I might risk pissing people off leaving black tire marks all over public parking lots!!

Really want to go with a Mojave but I think since I’d simply be running it in grass fields like my Kraton I am leaning more towards a Typhon I think.
The only difference in the infraction and a typhon on hoons would be the length... They both have the same power plant in them, but the infraction is geared up more. Throw a 46t spur on your typhon and up the pinion and you have a mini infraction. Take the hoons off and throw on belted 2.8's and you have a versatile rig for street or dirt.

typhon10.jpg

Get tired of both, widen the arms, grab some 4s outcast tires and senton towers and make your own frankenstein.
Or buy buggy badlands for the typhon, or do that, senton arms and towers, and bumpers, and convert the typhon into a senton :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• dude buggy2.jpg
    dude buggy2.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 73
  • dude buggy3.jpg
    dude buggy3.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 42
  • senton3.jpg
    senton3.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 43
  • senton4.jpg
    senton4.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 39
  • senton5.jpg
    senton5.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 44
In my opinion, you gotta have a smaller rc and a bigger rc. I have a talion and an xmaxx with just the necessary upgrades for hardcore bashing. Talion gets used for strictly launching it as high as I can get it. It’s geared 20/50. I have the xmaxx for everything including sending it super high to bashing hard at construction sites. I will say the xmaxx suspension just eats up terrain like it’s nothing. Both vehicles I have are tough as nails but that xmaxx takes toughness to the next level once the necessary upgrades are done. I have thought about doing an on road set up but I probably won’t anymore.

In my opinion, you gotta have a smaller rc and a bigger rc. I have a talion and an xmaxx with just the necessary upgrades for hardcore bashing. Talion gets used for strictly launching it as high as I can get it. It’s geared 20/50. I have the xmaxx for everything including sending it super high to bashing hard at construction sites. I will say the xmaxx suspension just eats up terrain like it’s nothing. Both vehicles I have are tough as nails but that xmaxx takes toughness to the next level once the necessary upgrades are done. I have thought about doing an on road set up but I probably won’t anymore.
I wish there were aftermarket diff gear options for the xmaxx. I haven't killed one yet, and i shimmed the ones i have, but it may be a matter of time hahahaha.

Ya that’s why I do love my Xmaxx still. It just takes the roughest terrain better then any other truck in my fleet. The suspension as you mentioned is not comparable to any 1/8 rig and the tires also help it eat up ruts and imperfections. With it’s weight you definitely have to be careful on how you land big air though.
I wish there were aftermarket diff gear options for the xmaxx. I haven't killed one yet, and i shimmed the ones i have, but it may be a matter of time hahahaha.
I don’t think you’ll need them. My truck was an original 6S upgraded to 8S and I’ve had the same diffs in it since 2017 or so. And I beat the hell out of it on a Max6 with 20/50. Center driveshaft is another thing though haha bent a few of those. Also exploded a stock pinion and spur but an upgrade to GDS gears solved that! Traxxas 8S Xmaxx diffs are very strong.

As to original poster question, all those RC are amazing. I’d go Typhon though I loved mine an absolute beast and I always say it, strongest car out of the box from Arrma.

You could also make a hybrid of sorts. Build a Typhon and stretch it with a Kraton or Mojave chassis.
The Typhon 6s is a great RC. I am considering getting one again just as a parking lot car using a corvette GT body. (once I find a money tree)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back