Outcast My Outcast Build....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasherBrink21

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
New truck should be here Friday, this will be my first Arrma. Here is a list of upgrades ordered and on their way. I will post pics as I build it up. If you can see anything I'm missing for it let me know

Tekno springs orange for the front.
Tekno springs yellow for rear.
Team Durango shims for the diffs.
Aluminum servo arm.
Fast Eddie Bearings.
4- 6x10x3mm bearings for steering rack instead of bushings.
Savox SW1210sg servo w/glitch buster.
VoltageHobbies Servo mount.
T-Bone Racing Typhoon front and rear bumpers.
Shock silicon TBD?....any suggestions mainly Bash.
Diff Fluid TBD?.....any suggestions mainly Bash.
Hot Racing Rear chassis brace

I will also post build on my YouTube channel Bulldog RC..
TIA for all the advice...great forum

Last edited:

Most are running 35wt in front and rear shocks and there's less of a consensus for diff fluid, especially in rear. I plan to try 125k in center, 50k up front, and 10k or 30k in the rear.

I wouldn't look for a single answer for anything regarding suspension or drivetrain tuning. How you drive, where you drive, and climate are all variables that make it impossible to get a one-size-fits-all solution. Your best starting point is stock. Run it 10 times to get an idea how you'd like to improve upon its performance. From there it's all about experimentation and making small changes. If you want to stock up in anticipation of tuning go buy the Traxxas Diff Fluid Pack (link below), the Losi Suspension Oil Starter pack (link below), and maybe some 200K diff oil from AE. That will give you a well rounded variety of lubricants to play with.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-l...pack-20-25-30-35-40-45wt-2oz-tlr74020/p252365
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-differential-oil-kit-10k-30k-50k-tra5136x/p3324

One more piece of advice to narrow down the world of combinations - the rule of thumb for diff oil is you go thickest in the center and thinnest in the rear. Your front diff should use something in-between. For shocks you'll want to go either the same in front and back or put heavier oil in the back.

I'm running stock diff oil in front and rear, haven't seen a need to change it? And center diff I'm running 500k. For shocks I've just left them alone. Going to put losi yellow springs on front and rear but that's all I'm doing besides putting the 16t on and running 6s with mad standing backflips

I'm running stock diff oil in front and rear, haven't seen a need to change it? And center diff I'm running 500k. For shocks I've just left them alone. Going to put losi yellow springs on front and rear but that's all I'm doing besides putting the 16t on and running 6s with mad standing backflips
How does the 500k diff oil go ??
I have just put 30k in the center diff on the outcast upped from 10k that comes in the truck and 7k front and back.
That 500k must be thick as ?

Well truck finally came today....so excited it looks awesome in person. Time to start building it even more bash worthy than stock. Boy the tekno springs are a huge improvement in ride height. Installed yellow in front...waiting on the orange for the rear.

How does the 500k diff oil go ??
I have just put 30k in the center diff on the outcast upped from 10k that comes in the truck and 7k front and back.
That 500k must be thick as ?
According to the arrma site stock outcast oil is 100k, http://www.arrma-rc.com/outcast/. Look under detailed specs and then standard diff viscosity. So you actually lowered it. But compared to stock the 500k is amazing

According to the arrma site stock outcast oil is 100k, http://www.arrma-rc.com/outcast/. Look under detailed specs and then standard diff viscosity. So you actually lowered it. But compared to stock the 500k is amazing
Wow I reckon you might be right it says 10k/100k/10k.
In the user manual it says 7k/10k/7k I wonder which one is right ????
Good pick up bro I might have downgraded my center diff oil.
IMG_2936.PNG
That's center diff
IMG_2937.PNG
That's front and rear
That's what's in the manual that comes wit the car

View attachment 5515
That's center diff
View attachment 5516
That's front and rear
The manual is in CST, if I'm not mistaken 10000cst should be 100k WT. Diff oil is measured in CST and weight ( aka K)

View attachment 5515
That's center diff
View attachment 5516
That's front and rear
The part that's confusing me is 7000cst vs 10k weight. So we need to find a good conversation table

Uea
The manual is in CST, if I'm not mistaken 10000cst should be 100k WT. Diff oil is measured in CST and weight ( aka K)

The part that's confusing me is 7000cst vs 10k weight. So we need to find a good conversation table
Yeah u might be right ?
Shock oil is converted from weight to cst but diff oil is in k -thousands this is what the manual says for shock oil.
IMG_2935.PNG
IMG_2943.PNG
And this is the shock oil conversion chart ?

Good one thanks for the info I've emailed arrma and asked what is stock in there diffs I'll let you know what they say. Cheers !!!

I think your righ though because after about 6runs with the 30k in Centre diff started hearing a weird noise so changed it straight away. That's about half as many as the stock oil

Just to chime in with my .02. Camo, if you did put 30K Diff Fluid in your center diff, then you did upgrade over stock. There was a comment made earlier, "Diff oil is measured in CST and weight ( aka K)". This is not entirely true. The letter "K" depicted is actually a unit of fraction, used to simplify measurement, where "w" is used for weight. For example, you could either label a differential oil as 100,000 or 100K. In that case, both would be CST. So if 30K oil was used, that would be 30,000 CST. Arrma is labeling all of their diagrams in CST, so the only conversion that needs to be made is for choosing the proper stock shock oil in weight. Which according the chart above, would be 60w (800 CST) in the front and about 46w (600 CST) in the rear.

Just to chime in with my .02. Camo, if you did put 30K Diff Fluid in your center diff, then you did upgrade over stock. There was a comment made earlier, "Diff oil is measured in CST and weight ( aka K)". This is not entirely true. The letter "K" depicted is actually a unit of fraction, used to simplify measurement, where "w" is used for weight. For example, you could either label a differential oil as 100,000 or 100K. In that case, both would be CST. So if 30K oil was used, that would be 30,000 CST. Arrma is labeling all of their diagrams in CST, so the only conversion that needs to be made is for choosing the proper stock shock oil in weight. Which according the chart above, would be 60w (800 CST) in the front and about 46w (600 CST) in the rear.
OK but if you read the link I posted, in the manual arrma says the center diff has 10000cst. But on the outcast site they say it has 100k which would be 100000, so if it is indeed 100k then his 30k is a downgrade

OK but if you read the link I posted, in the manual arrma says the center diff has 10000cst. But on the outcast site they say it has 100k which would be 100000, so if it is indeed 100k then his 30k is a downgrade

I understand that part. Apologies if any offense was taken to my last post. Just wanted to clear up confusion on the specification of diff oil and shock fluid. In this case, I would hope that the manual would have the correct information over what is on the web site. Mainly because a single number mistake on the website would be easier to correct than however many thousands of manuals that have already been printed and distributed. That would be a major oops. Let me know what you find.

I understand that part. Apologies if any offense was taken to my last post. Just wanted to clear up confusion on the specification of diff oil and shock fluid. In this case, I would hope that the manual would have the correct information over what is on the web site. Mainly because a single number mistake on the website would be easier to correct than however many thousands of manuals that have already been printed and distributed. That would be a major oops. Let me know what you find.
No offense taken. Just in my experience 100000cst and 100k were completely different in diff oils, I honestly don't think anyone 100% will have an answer to this since there is no "standard" to RC fluids like there are car fluids. Hopefully we can all figure something out.

Put 200k in today on new Outcast. Thick stuff already in there, had to be 100k. Just not much of it. Almost feels close to locked with 200k, 500k must be really close. Have Nero and when new broke down all diffs and re packed with grease, again not much in from factory. 200k seemed thicker and stickier than grease (#2 rated, see grease ratings). Noticed performance difference in both. More so in Nero.

Center Diff only in Outcast

Well truck finally came today....so excited it looks awesome in person. Time to start building it even more bash worthy than stock. Boy the tekno springs are a huge improvement in ride height. Installed yellow in front...waiting on the orange for the rear.

That is a Pretty Sweet collection you have going there! Love the trio, all very different from one another.

So I emailed Arrma outlining the difference between the web site and the manual.
This was the response.

Good morning,

We are happy to hear you're enjoying the vehicle.

We have been using 10k oil in all 3 diffs with great luck.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely
Sheldon
Product Support Technician

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back