Outcast My Outcast Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with the 14T pinion. A bunch of guys are running the 16T in warm southern weather with no major issues on temps reported. I've heard of the Dusty Motor covers impeding air flow a bit. That coupled with the dirt guards and high sidewalls probably are enough to cause your heat issues.

I have a 14T RR installed on mine. Cold here though so can't comment on my own temps.

If you haven't already, try turning your punch up to 9. Will make a big difference in pop on take-off and in air adjustments. That coupled with 6s should be plenty of zip.
That is kinda what I was thinking about the pinion. Removing the cover did make a big difference. My punch is on 5, if I need more I will give that a try. I am pretty happy with the way it runs on the 14 tooth as long as I can keep my temps down. If I ever go back to the 12 tooth I will probably do punch 9.
Only video I got, you can see my son did a backflip. Thats completely stock on 12 tooth.

I'd consider putting in the 16 tooth, but aside from doing backflips, he likes to run at full speed up and down the street and I'm afraid it will overheat, plus it will hurt even more if he hits me again.

@robl45 that says "Video Unavailable" I don't know what is different about yours but mine just didn't have enough wheel speed completely stock to flip all the way over. Maybe It would with the punch dialed up with the 12 tooth but definitely not stock punch. As it sits right now it does it perfectly on punch 5 with 14 tooth.

That is kinda what I was thinking about the pinion. Removing the cover did make a big difference. My punch is on 5, if I need more I will give that a try. I am pretty happy with the way it runs on the 14 tooth as long as I can keep my temps down. If I ever go back to the 12 tooth I will probably do punch 9.

@robl45 that says "Video Unavailable" I don't know what is different about yours but mine just didn't have enough wheel speed completely stock to flip all the way over. Maybe It would with the punch dialed up with the 12 tooth but definitely not stock punch. As it sits right now it does it perfectly on punch 5 with 14 tooth.
You have to hit watch on facebook. That works at least for me. I'm on whatever the stock punch is, haven't changed anything on the settings. I did calibrate the throttle though when I got it because it wouldn't move when it came out of the box.

Took a look at the pillow balls, it appears that they just backed out a bit and didn't strip. That's a good thing but I don't understand how they could. Maybe they did partially strip and just didn't pull any plastic with them? At any rate it felt like they threaded back in just fine.

Also decided to pull my center diff and have a look. It was spitting out just a little fluid, not sure why. That fluid sure gets nasty quickly.

just did same thing with the pillow balls mostly because i've already lost those spaces on the upper hing pins I didn't want to loose any more. My axle carriers were also flopping around, had to tighten all 4 of the screws.

Rebuilt the center diff at work tonight. Tue satellite shims looked like they had a decent amount of wear but still usable. Filled with 200k fluid.
T-bone is sending me a new front bumper. I think the Kraton bumper sticks out a little far and let's it get caught on things when you are flipping about.

Also this came in the mail. Now I'm just waiting doesn't Nero ESC from tower.

Rebuilt the center diff at work tonight. Tue satellite shims looked like they had a decent amount of wear but still usable. Filled with 200k fluid.
T-bone is sending me a new front bumper. I think the Kraton bumper sticks out a little far and let's it get caught on things when you are flipping about.

Also this came in the mail. Now I'm just waiting doesn't Nero ESC from tower.

That's one BIG motor!

@TwiZted SkullZ the motor isn't quite as big as it looks in the picture.
My package from Tower showed up today!
Unfortunately it looks like the ESC they are selling is the new diff brain version that is locked at 6v for the BEC. Oh well still a good deal at just over $60.

Just an update on my outcast. I got my the BLX200 system in it and running great. The BLX200 esc has 4 holes in the bottom to thread some m3 screws into so I just used the stock esc mount and drilled some holes in the bottom and used short screws. I should have mounted it a little more to the inside in order to utilize the holder for the motor wires but its not that big of deal. Also the BLX200 power switch doesn't have the little screw hole to mount to the stock location, I glued it to a small piece of kydex and formed a nub on the bottom for one mounting hole and drilled a hole for the mounting screw in the stock location.
When I first powered it up the motor was set for the wrong direction for the outcast so I just reversed direction on the esc settings. I left the brake strength on medium and punch on 2/5.
On the first outing it was quickly apparent that the punch 2 had quite the delay in power delivery, as well as the brakes being weaker than I was used to with the 185 system. I know that standing backflips are hard on things but I just can't resist lol. The delay with punch 2 was just a little too much to do a standing backflip on a high traction surface with the 14 tooth pinion I am running, It may do it with a 16 but I'm planning on running the 14. I played around with both punch 3 and 4 and I finally settled on 3. It will still clear a standing backflip but isn't as violent as punch 4. The brakes felt fairly weak compared to the 185 stock setting, I turned the brakes up on high and they felt like they were just right.
Now onto the running! All running was done with the stock mudguards left at home because I forgot them! I ran around at a gravel pit and all the temps stayed in check the entire time running hard, I think I saw 130 on the motor at the highest with a cool ambient temp of around 50. The following day I took it to a skate park and messed around for probably 20 minutes. I broke a rear shock shaft ball end doing jumps bigger than I really had any business doing lol. Immediately following the run motor temps were in the 140's with a 65 ambient. I stopped at my friends house and put a new ball end on (luckilly the shock shaft wasn't bent). I went out on his street with my SMC 7200's loaded up and proceeded to do tons of backflips, wheelies and small jumps. Checked the temps after about a half hour and got 150's. Let her cool off for a bit and decided to blast up and down the street trying to get to full throttle, after several repeated high speed runs I checked the temps again and got 180 on the motor. Stopped let it cool and then shut it down. I think I will keep running the 14 tooth pinion and just limit my high speed running, which is fine with me, if speed was my priority I would have got a Typhon.
I also saw another thread where someone made a couple cutouts in the front window area of the body and covered with fine mesh and drilled holes in the side guards to get more cool air inside. https://arrmaforum.com/threads/vent-holes-for-cooling.3722/

Here is a few pictures of the nero motor/ESC in the Outcast.

And the broken RPM wing mount.

And the broken shock end that happened last time I was out.

Went to the local skate park a few days ago and I wasn't there 5 minutes when the servo stopped turning right and only turned left when it felt like it, so I will be mounting my new servo in my new Voltage Hobbies mount soon, and sticking it in there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back