My servo died!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blxer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
My stock servo just died, is it covered under warranty? I've had the granite for 4 months. What do I do? Please help!

Thanks, I haven't taken it apart yet, because of warranty. The servo just stopped working all of a sudden, then would turn left but not right. And would not center when I turned it on, wheels turned left. Maybe something broke inside of it?

Thank you, Walter. First thing in the morning, 8:00 a.m. sharp, I'm calling. Here's what the servo is doing, when I turn everything on the servo turns left a little, doesn't center then when I turn it left (from transmitter) it turns left completely and wont turn right at all. I tried turning it right with my hands, by the wheels and it feels jammed up. When it is turned off, I can turn it left and right with no restrictions. Have any idea what could be causing this? Could it be the transmitter?
Thanks in advance...

Okay, I've taken the receiver cover off and am confused as to which wire plug is for the servo. Is it the plug in the bottom of the receiver or the one directly above? Or does it not matter?
The reason I'm doing this is to find out if the servo or if the transmitter is broken. I have a stock plastic geared ECX servo I'm going to test.
Thanks in advance....

It's definitely the arrma servo that is broken, I plugged the ECX stock servo into the, bottom plug on receiver and servo works flawlessly! The answer to my question was answered by looking in the manual, very surprised to find it in there.

Last edited:
Awesome!!!! I called, waited on hold for a bit,(speakerphone). Dude was cool, I didn't even have to do a screen shot of receipt for proof of purchase! I told him I had done a diagnosis, and for sure the problem was the servo. I explained everything, I did and tried, and he said, what is your mailing address? I paused, he says, sir are you there? I was kinda shocked that i didn't have too give screen shot of receipt or email. Maybe, when I gave him address, my granite was registered, or the way i talked, like I knew what I was talking about? Anyway, he took my info and and when the servos come back in stock, one will be sent too me! +1 for Arrma customer service!!!!

Thanks again, fellow arrmateers!!!

Last edited:
Excellent! That's sounds very similar to my experience. Once you get them on the phone it's one of the easiest warranty situations I've had to deal with over the years. They ask about the problem... then send parts.

Glad it worked out for you!

Can use a plastic geared servo, from the Ecx Ruckus in the granite blx? I took the mashers off the front of the granite, for smoother turning. Hopefully this will create less resistance in the steering assembly and servo? I know I have the 1501mg coming Friday, but I have no rc too run till then! ☹ Or should I just suck it up and not destroy another servo?

Do you mean this servo?
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ECX1069

Comparing Specs with the Arrma ADS-5 that comes in the Granite:
ECX1069:
Size Category: Standard
Type: Digital
Application: Steering
Torque: 41.66 oz (3kg-cm)
Speed: 0.23sec/60 degress of travel
Length: 1.59 in (40.5mm)
Width: 0.79 in (20mm)
Height: 1.45 in (36.8mm)​

Arrma ADS-5:
Case – Red, Water-proof & dust-proof
Bearing – Dual ball bearing
Connector – ‘Futaba style’ 3 pin connector
Gears – HD Composite
Spline – 25 Tooth
Dimensions: 40mm x 38mm x 20mm (Excluding mounting tabs), Industry Standard size
Wire length: 300mm
Torque – 4.5 kg-cm/5 kg-cm 4.8V/6V
Speed – 0.14 sec/0.12 sec 4.8V/6V
Signal - Analogue
The stock Arrma servo is faster (0.14/0.12 sec vs 0.23 sec), and stronger (4.5kg-cm/5kg-cm vs 3kg-cm). It should fit but it's likely you will have problems with it. If you are treating it as a throw away and you are ok with just getting some use out of it before you kill it, then you should be able to do so. But if you expect to keep it and put it back in the Ruckus in a working condition it's probably not a good risk. I don't have experience with the Ruckus or that servo specifically... I'm basing this strictly off the numbers.

Thanks for the info, @Walter. The arrma servo I have is the, ADS-7M 7kg. The Ecx servo is the, 325WP plastic geared servo. Yah, your right about using the plastic geared servo for a throw away. A few good bash sessions, and it will be toast!!!! I wish I could switch gears around, I also have a MG996R metal geared servo, that I sent to the rc after life as well. I opened it up and the mother board that is directly connected to the motor, has black burn marks on it!

I have both the ADS-5 and ADS-7 servo from Arrma/Durango.
And both have plastic gears, which fail eventually.

A metal gearing upgrade (the ADS-7M) is an option, or replace it with a much better 3rd party metal geared servo.

But be aware of the power consumption some high speed high torque servo's can draw from the BEC system of your Arrma's ESC.
All Arrma's 1/10 ESC can deliver up to 2A 6,0V BEC power, which is enough for most servo's, but not all.

The servo that was in my granite blx, is the metal geared one. I just hope the servo, hobbico/great planes is sending me, when they come in stock is metal geared as well. When I look up the arrma granite blx on arrmas site, it shows the metal geared servo. Hopefully, they'll get it right! The representative on the phone never asked, which servo I had, just which model granite, so my fingers are crossed.

Whoa! I installed, the Turnigy TGY1501 H-Torque servo, into my granite. And man is this thing fast, way faster than stock!
Check out the specs!
WP_20150605_001.jpg

Blxer.... found a servo for my new build, a converted tmaxx, i found the cheapest servo evvvvver.

A neewer 996mg rated for 9-12kg. Its not waterproof not nessicarily the fastest or the best, but for 4 dollars and free shipping.....cant be beat

Turns the emaxx wheels with no issue. Used some bat packs already and it is strong

Just some info for those trying to build n budget

Here´s the servo I´m using until I have the Traxxas 2075 that some of the forumites are using in their cars.

Specs:
  • Model: TGY-4409MD
  • Dead band: 2us
  • Working frequency: 1520us / 330Hz
  • Operating voltage: 4.8~6.0V
  • Operating speed (4.8V): 0.13sec/60°
  • Operating speed (6.0V): 0.11sec/60°
  • Stall torque (4.8V): 8.65kg.cm (120.15 oz/in)
  • Stall torque (6.0V): 9.45kg.cm (130.88 oz/in)
  • Connector wire length: 265mm
  • Dimensions: 41x20.3x29.5mm
  • Weight: 44g
So far so good, have to try it in the same circuit where the original servo died.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back