My SMC Battery Acting a bit strange

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedrockJr

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
so my 3s smc graphene extreme v2 battery has seemed to become harder and harder to charge. Now if the battery was 1 to 2 years old then I would round it up to age. Fine whatever. I know a battery will not last forever. However I got this battery in June of 2021. it is a 3 month old battery. Already the cells seem to have a hard time balancing when charging. Like here is a example of what I mean from are last camping trip. I charge the battery and the two cells will get to 4.2 but one lagging behind. The battery has already hit 5200mah so the thing is charging at like .2amps. So that charge took 85 dang minutes. a step up from the usually 55 -> 60. The little research I did do could be linked to a difference in IR [ i cant measure this] or in some cases a bad charger. I would like to think my charge is good but I am no expert. I have a HTRC c150. I am in the process of doing a storage charge and well this is how the cells ended in voltage. 3.805 3.803 3.810 ( this is what my charger is telling me ). The thing however is I think it is the charger and the reason is everything that things starts to charge a battery, it makes a horrible sound every single time. Along with it people 2-3 years old vs a 3-4 month old battery. On the other hand however my 2s smc true spec which happens to be the same age of the charger has never ran into these issues. So that would lead me to a bad battery. All I am wanting to know if you can answer it is what is the problem here. charger or battery.

*both batteries are 5200mah
*another note is the 3s battery will fill up in mah before the cells even get the chance to fully balance where I swear the 2s never did. They both are the same brand but I just don't understand what is happening. I went cheap on the first one it lasted the time I needed it to. I go and get one a lot of people said was good and speed runners liked the brand ( I think) and where using it so I was thinking it was a good battery. I would like to still believe that the brand is good but in this case with my experience then cheaper is better

How are you using them? Running them to Lvc?
Horrible sound has nothing to do with battery name brand, probably just a bad fan.

Um tbh I just run them while camping so a mix of LVC and when the ESC throws a fit and shuts down
It can be hot some days

Yes, that will kill any lipo in a very short time. You need to stop at 3.5 per cell minimum. My guess, this is normal for your lipos after such use. That is why I stay with cheap ones for bashing and the more expensive ones get more attention. Lipo alarm or telemetry is a must.

so the charger cant be causing anything at all. it does not make since how it will fill up mah wise and then spend a bunch of time balancing the cells

Balancing is normal and takes forever with stressed cells. Your charger seems to be limited to 0.5A, better ones do up to 2A. You can also stop balancing manually, once you are above 4.15 the benefits are minimal and it won't hurt anything .

okay cool. so is there anything I could do then to stop it from getting worse or is that damage already done. Thanks for your time!

Don't use them in extraordinarily hot conditions. SMC makes good packs, but they are very sensitive as a result. FWIW brand isn't the only consideration speed runners have, the actual product line matters, too. The green Turnigy Graphene Panthers are awesome, but there are other Turnigy brand packs that are mediocre at best.

3.7V? but the stock esc from arrma is anywhere between 3.2 and 3.3 I think so why such a high V compared to arrma

3.7V? but the stock esc from arrma is anywhere between 3.2 and 3.3 I think so why such a high V compared to arrma
The general idea is that running them to lower voltage increases the risk of the problem you are having….lGo ahead and get a voltage alarm, set it, and when you hear the alarm go off, bring the rig back to your feet and pull the pack off the unit and set it aside to recharge/ storage charge. I would say set it at 3.6 for the alarm to start, but @jkflow knows what he is talking about…

The LVC in the ESC is only for catastrophic damage prevention of the Lipo as well as the ESC. They do not handle significant voltage drops very well, and that happens very quickly once you cross the 3.2V line. Any RC pilot gets nervous at 3.8V and will fall into a coma when you mention 3.7V.

Why 3.7V? You literally have ~ 5% of capacity between 3.7 and 3.2V i.e. you are already at the end of fun time. Playing for 1 more minute will do lasting damage to your lipo. That is why I pick that value, as you can only do damage with almost no gain in real terms.
Nothing dramatic will happen, no lipo fire etc, but simply you stress your Lipo and your $120 investment becomes a paperweight a lot faster than you want that to happen.

Okay well I ordered the lipo alarm. Now is the battery still okay. I was thinking about getting another car to match what I enjoy doing and those cars happen to be 6s so if I was to get a 3s lipo to match it. Will there be any problems with that lipo and a new none damaged one?

Oh boy, that is a whole new can of worms :ROFLMAO:
Read to the bottom. I wouldn't do it but it's possible.

If you place the Lipo alarm on the 'older' one or suspect 'bad one' you will be ok.

Ideally you only want to do this with equal packs that have seen equal abuse, that is the going recommendation.
In the advanced course, they will tell you that the weaker one will see more stress that is why you do NOT want to do it but if you keep an eye on that with the lipo checker you will be ok.

As a money saving suggestion, stay with cheaper lipo bands for bashing, leave the costly ones for specialized applications and treat them accordingly.
The Amazon brands (Zeee and Hoowoo?) are cheap and good, just not outstanding, but consider the price and they bubble to the favorite category.

You can typically buy a pair for the price of a single premium, that is what I would recommend, but it's your money.

2ea for $62
https://smile.amazon.com/Zeee-Conne...hild=1&keywords=3S+lipo&qid=1628218406&sr=8-2

While I am not a fan of SMC in general, this seems to be more of a user error. The questions you are asking are very basic and says a lot about you in general. Not me bashing you, just how I’m reading the situation.

Any lipo can be trashed with abuse or misuse. I have some SMC lipos that I have recently been very critical of. But they are very new and have never been below 3.7v per cell. I would strongly suggest you do the same if you want your packs to last. Keep them above 3.6v per cell and they will last much longer.

On a side note, there are far more affordable packs that perform as well as SMC. Check out Yowoo, HRB, and CNHL.

zero offense taken. still new an learning. still experiencing with brands. I kind of expected the battery to be the issue and running 6s with was going to be bad but I just figured it would never hurt to ask. You misses the shots you never take!

zero offense taken. still new an learning. still experiencing with brands. I kind of expected the battery to be the issue and running 6s with was going to be bad but I just figured it would never hurt to ask. You misses the shots you never take!
Stick around here and learn from the guys that have been doing this thing a while. I have learned a ton here. While you will lear a bunch here, you will still learn some on your own as well. I’m still charting my path myself, but I wouldn’t know where to start without the numerous people here giving insight.

Stick around here and learn from the guys that have been doing this thing a while. I have learned a ton here. While you will lear a bunch here, you will still learn some on your own as well. I’m still charting my path myself, but I wouldn’t know where to start without the numerous people here giving insight.
Yeah I agree for sure. checked out those battery brands [thanks by the way] and wow. the price on the cnhl for some 4s 100c racing series was only 110 for 2 of them. i will for sure do my research but what is the issue that they can offer them so slow compared to SMC
wow found the same brand 4s with 120c. 40 bucks. blown away man

Yeah I agree for sure. checked out those battery brands [thanks by the way] and wow. the price on the cnhl for some 4s 100c racing series was only 110 for 2 of them. i will for sure do my research but what is the issue that they can offer them so slow compared to SMC
I’m not hating on SMC for sure, they are generally fine. But for half the cost you can surely find similar performing packs. 🤘🏻 Lipos are one of those hit or miss type of things. One guy will love them, another will hate them. I try them all and see what works. Some don’t have deep pockets and can save a few bucks buying less expensive packs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back