My soldering Iron is dying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corider

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Looking for advice. My soldering Iron is dying and not getting as hot as it used to. Does anyone have any suggestions on a quality,budget friendly soldering station. Or if not budget friendly something that has a good chance of lasting until the end of time? Thanks in advance.

I have the same one but non-digital. Very nice unit. Get yourself some rosin core 60/40 and the thing pretty much solders things for you. I just have to hold the beer.

Looking for advice. My soldering Iron is dying and not getting as hot as it used to. Does anyone have any suggestions on a quality,budget friendly soldering station. Or if not budget friendly something that has a good chance of lasting until the end of time? Thanks in advance.

You can replace the heating element in most soldering irons.

80W is a lot for and unregulated stick iron. Plus that huge tip will be in it's own way. 40w or 60w with a 1/4" or 1/8" chisel tip would be better. for 12g and smaller, the 40w will work. for 10g work, the 60w is better.

I used this $13 iron for many years -
https://www.radioshack.com/products/40-watt-pencil-iron

I even used the pointed tip that everyone seems to hate.

While looking for a link to that iron, I saw this $25 Adjustable iron - https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-multi-watt-soldering-iron RS even has a tip kit for it with a nice small chisel tip for $5 - https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-soldering-iron-replacement-tips
Plus you will want an iron holder - the little wire prop that comes with cheap irons is useless.
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-soldering-iron-holder

Up to 50w max, adjustable, for about $40 with the tip kit and stand, seems like a deal if someone does not want to jump into a full soldering station.

If you soldering iron has a removable tip sometimes it builds up a coating on it and will not conduct heat as well as it did.
Try removing the tip(make sure it is cool and unplugged) then clean the whole tip with a fine sandpaper, then roll sandpaper up into a small enough tube to slide up into the hole the tip came out of and sand it clean also. Wipe tip off blow out hole and use a Q-Tip to clean it out. Reinstall tip and give it a try. Not a guaranteed cure but has worked for me and could save you a few bucks.

Harbor Freight, reliable and cheap, make sure to use their coupon codes and catch on the way a free measuring tape or flashlight, lol.

I even got a spare just in case mine dies in the middle of the night doing minor soldering work.

If you soldering iron has a removable tip sometimes it builds up a coating on it and will not conduct heat as well as it did.
Try removing the tip(make sure it is cool and unplugged) then clean the whole tip with a fine sandpaper, then roll sandpaper up into a small enough tube to slide up into the hole the tip came out of and sand it clean also. Wipe tip off blow out hole and use a Q-Tip to clean it out. Reinstall tip and give it a try. Not a guaranteed cure but has worked for me and could save you a few bucks.

Ouch - don't use abrasives on tips. This will remove the iron plating on it. Use brass wool to clean it and always re-tin after cleaning. There are dozens of videos on YouTube explaining proper tip care.

I use sanding paper, it has worked forever with no issues. They are cheap, buy them in pairs at HF at least yearly. I even use a dremmel to make it super sharp, and a knife to scrape new metal surface.
The abrasive deal is over-rated, please... o_O
don't buy any of those solder 60/40 63/37 lines from EBAY, they are garbage.

I use sanding paper, it has worked forever with no issues. They are cheap, buy them in pairs at HF at least yearly. I even use a dremmel to make it super sharp, and a knife to scrape new metal surface.
The abrasive deal is over-rated, please... o_O
don't buy any of those solder 60/40 63/37 lines from EBAY, they are garbage.

Right - entirely likely. I was merely passing along what science states in relation to handling those tips. I tend to go along with knowledge from reliable sources, in this case from the well versed folks on EEVblog if I remember where I originally read that.

I like my Weller wes51 station. Have some brass wool to clean tips works great. If you are looking for cheap but will get the job done. Harbor freight has some and they have a standing 20% coupon employees almost always let you use over and over. They also have 25% off coupons regularly.

I like my Weller wes51 station. Have some brass wool to clean tips works great. If you are looking for cheap but will get the job done. Harbor freight has some and they have a standing 20% coupon employees almost always let you use over and over. They also have 25% off coupons regularly.
The Harbor freight iron is okay, but anything larger than 12g wire and you are going to struggle.

If that is the same iron sold on Banggood (without extra tip and power supply for $55), it is only 40w with the included 19v power supply. 40w is ok for 12g and smaller, but for 8g/10g wiring on 1/8 scale cars, you really need 60w.

Plus, the massdrop kit does not come with an iron stand/cleaner, so you will need to spend another $10-$20 for that.

Oh, and have you used Massdrop before? It can take a month or two to get your order. So if you need it soon-ish, Massdrop is not the place to get it.

not sure if this is the same as the one from banggood, on massdrop it says 17W to 65W. do you have the link to the one from banggood ?

yes, i have been a massdrop user since about 18 months back and made several purchases from it over the period. usually 1 month wait or slightly less for me is pretty normal since i am outside the US. i don't recall any delivery from massdrop that took more than a month except a watch. but i anticipated that since prior notice was given on the site for the longer-than-usual logistic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back