Typhon My take on a 2wd Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
My Typhon hasn't been getting much love lately so I decided to change things up and make it 2wd. It's a blast to drive so I figured I'd share the build and files in case anyone else is interested.

My goals:
  • Rear-wheel drive
  • Lightweight front end
  • Wide front track
  • Narrow rear track with meaty tires
  • No permanent changes (can easily revert back to stock)
Front of the car:
  • Removed diff
  • Removed driveshafts
  • Designed plug for diff location (3D file)
  • Designed stub axle retainer (3D file)
  • Redcat 17mm hex with 6mm extension (part #BS936-003)
  • RPM arms (stock length)
  • Stock links
  • Stock tires
Center of the car:
  • Removed driveshaft
  • Tightened slipper clutch
Rear of the car
  • RPM arms (narrow length made for a Granite)
  • Narrow links (from a Granite)
  • 2.8" Pro-line raid wheels with 17mm insert
  • Duratrax Stakker tires
Typhon 2wd.jpeg

Typhon 2wd Axle Retainer & Hex Extension.jpeg

Typhon 2wd Front Diff Plug.jpeg

1651089157711.png

Last edited:
@dure0016 yours is definitely more technical and impressive. I just figured I'd overwhelm the drivetrain with rear grip.😜

In all seriousness, I'd consider adding metal CVDs at the rear, a HR yoke for the diff and quite possibly a CNC gear equipped diff.👍

Last edited:
@dure0016 yours is definitely more technical and impressive. I just figured I'd overwhelm the drivetrain with rear grip.😜

In all seriousness, I'd consider adding metal CVDs at the rear, a HR yoke for the diff and quite possibly a CNC gear equipped diff.👍
Yours looks like a beast. What tires are those?

Axial Dubez on beadlock monster truck rims. These kinda fell into my lap figured I'd play around with them to see what they'd fit and the Typhon was the 1st victim.🤫
20220413_132645.jpg
20220413_132640.jpg
20220413_132635.jpg

Yeah it’s blast.

If it was my only rig I’d keep it 4wd. But I have a bunch of 4wd rigs so it’s fun to have something unique.

It seems to be just as durable as stock. I’d say it drives okay - still feels like a basher with loose handling. Very different feeling from stock though.

How does the slipper hub hold up with 2wd? My biggest issue with my 3s Typhon is slipper hubs cracking and center driveshafts getting grinded down/melted by rocks getting stuck, haven't been running it since I got my 6s. I was already wanting a Traxxas Bandit so I could have a 2wd buggy, but didn't think about just changing my Typhon into 2wd.

How does the slipper hub hold up with 2wd? My biggest issue with my 3s Typhon is slipper hubs cracking and center driveshafts getting grinded down/melted by rocks getting stuck, haven't been running it since I got my 6s. I was already wanting a Traxxas Bandit so I could have a 2wd buggy, but didn't think about just changing my Typhon into 2wd.
I was in the same boat looking at 2wd traxxas cars. Thought I’d give the 2wd Typhon a try first and glad I did.

No issues with the slipper or anything else really. It’s holding up well.

I had it out last night and it is just so fast. A little squirrelly but that’s what I wanted. Fun car.

Sounds good, will give it a try soon. I know its not everybody's cup of tea, but I love 2wd as much as 4wd. Had my 2wd Stampede out yesterday doing wheelies on water with paddle tires.:LOL:

2WD is way harder to drive. But a nice challenge to change things up, nonetheless.

after only being acclimated to 4wd, ive attempted to run my slash on 2wd and was unbearable. Also my senton just lost FWD this weekend and i stopped driving immediately. With barely any throttle and a loose rear diff, i couldn't keep it straight.

after only being acclimated to 4wd, ive attempted to run my slash on 2wd and was unbearable. Also my senton just lost FWD this weekend and i stopped driving immediately. With barely any throttle and a loose rear diff, i couldn't keep it straight.
Cars that are designed for 2wd definitely handle better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back