Outcast My Temporary to rear turnbuckles collapsing Outcast 8S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarmjag

Reaction score
I got a new Outcast 8S this past weekend.. 4 runs.. 3 of which squished the rear turnbuckles in.. mostly from cartwheeling, nothing serious but annoying because you can't just turn the turnbuckle center because 1 side is squished in and not the other. I ordered something custom that also includes sway bars and aluminum turnbuckle ends but it will be weeks to get here. I can't wait that long to go bashing again. Desperation leads to innovation. I took the turnbuckles off and the turnbuckle ends off. Then I measured the end hole depth and figure out how much distance was left with the rods screwed into the stock settings. My idea, I'll simply cut some cheap metal inserts to drop in the ends before putting them back on that will let the ends screw into stock setup distance but won't physically let the rod end go any deeper. Dremel tool and scrap to the rescue. The best thing I've found so far is a thicker lightweight metal from a heavier gauge pegboard hook. You know the long ones that come out a few inches. Soon as work is over i'm going to cust me up 4 equal size sections and get my truck back working again.

Edit 10/13/21 - The inserts were a success in preventing the collapsing of turnbuckles from cartwheeling. But I wasn't happy with the camber from my uneven rough cuts. I whipped out the Dremel, my digital caliper, and went to work. 8.5mm for all 4 makes a very nice even camber stance with the turnbuckles turned up against the insert stops.

Edit 10/19/21 - GPM Turnbuckles with stabilizers arrived, looks impressive if nothing else, I am gonna go tear it up at the hill tonight see how it holds up. Part# MAKX049R-GS
1634674732794.png

Last edited:
1633984271681.png

A little rough and not all perfect same length but this is just a temporary solution so I can bash till the new parts come in. They actually drop in almost a perfect fit to the hole with just enough wiggle room you can easily drop them out if you want to take them out.

The EXB links are well worth it. Haven’t had this problem since. 👍
I agree. The plastic ends do break still once in a while though. But I've yet to bend the metal part of the link. Even with huge bad landings and cartwheeling.

I got a new Outcast 8S this past weekend.. 4 runs.. 3 of which squished the rear turnbuckles in.. mostly from cartwheeling, nothing serious but annoying because you can't just turn the turnbuckle center because 1 side is squished in and not the other. I ordered something custom that also includes sway bars and aluminum turnbuckle ends but it will be weeks to get here. I can't wait that long to go bashing again. Desperation leads to innovation. I took the turnbuckles off and the turnbuckle ends off. Then I measured the end hole depth and figure out how much distance was left with the rods screwed into the stock settings. My idea, I'll simply cut some cheap metal inserts to drop in the ends before putting them back on that will let the ends screw into stock setup distance but won't physically let the rod end go any deeper. Dremel tool and scrap to the rescue. The best thing I've found so far is a thicker lightweight metal from a heavier gauge pegboard hook. You know the long ones that come out a few inches. Soon as work is over i'm going to cust me up 4 equal size sections and get my truck back working again.

Edit 10/13/21 - The inserts were a success in preventing the collapsing of turnbuckles from cartwheeling. But I wasn't happy with the camber from my uneven rough cuts. I whipped out the Dremel, my digital caliper, and went to work. 8.5mm for all 4 makes a very nice even camber stance with the turnbuckles turned up against the insert stops.
Had this happen to me I ended up taking the ends off stock turnbuckles installed 2 nuts on Each end of the turnbuckle threads and good to go 👍. If they fail on me your way would be good too get some 1/4 inch threaded rod measure to whatever length you want cut with cordless bandsaw throw on backing nuts for little more strength

Had this happen to me I ended up taking the ends off stock turnbuckles installed 2 nuts on Each end of the turnbuckle threads and good to go 👍. If they fail on me your way would be good too get some 1/4 inch threaded rod measure to whatever length you want cut with cordless bandsaw throw on backing nuts for little more strength
I like tgis option with the nuts then you can still make easy turnbuckle adjustments

Even after putting nuts and what not, I managed to bend the metal rods. That's why I went with the thicker EXB K8S links.

Been rocking the right and left hand nuts in between each turn buckle on the front and rear for over 8months no failures or breaks

Edit 10/19/21 - GPM Turnbuckles with stabilizers arrived, looks impressive if nothing else, I am gonna go tear it up at the hill tonight see how it holds up. Part# MAKX049R-GS
View attachment 174998
GPM Turnbuckles with stabilizers? How did these work for you? I’m having the same issue with my O8S.

Thank you

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back