Typhon My TRICKED out Typhon ... lots of one off parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Kid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
DSCF0423.JPG
DSCF0412.JPG
DSCF0413.JPG
DSCF0414.JPG
DSCF0415.JPG
DSCF0418.JPG
DSCF0420.JPG
DSCF0410.JPG
In the last few months been fabricating parts to make a better buggy in general. parts to tighten up the suspension, and stiffen chassis, increase drive shaft life and generally make parts most are left buying when upgrading. ONLY aftermarket parts used are HOT RACING Motor mount Support tower & T-Bone bumpers.

Enjoy .....

1st picture .... Aluminum backing washers on shock mount screws ... Billet & carbon fiber chassis struts ...
Aluminum rear A-arm dirt deflectors ... Silicone sleeves over yoke/dog bones to keep dirt out and wax lube in ...
Stainless washers threw out ... Retrofitted Team Durango Center diff gear ... Castle motor fan.

2nd picture .... Billet carbon fiber chassis strut ... SS or Aluminum backing washers ... Steering / servo saver posts also got PEEK bearings inside ... Billet servo tray & SAVOX servo ... fan blade painted white for bling.

3rd picture .... Team Durango Spur gear on a modified housing fit into HOT RACING motor mount/ front support ... SS washers on diff cover to keeps screws from crushing in plastic.

4th picture .... Nylon mud scrapers made for all wheels ... Better / larger thrust washers on rear carriers having internal bearing sleeves added.

5th picture .... Billet shock posts allowing use of gen 3 safety covers.

6th picture .... HOT RACING adjustable motor mount ... Castle cooling fan

7th picture .... 1/16" 7075 aluminum debris guards on rear a-arms & PANTHER tires on OFNA 12 spoke wheels ... Hobby foam flaps on body to help keep debris out of rear chassis area ... T-bone racing WIDE bumpers front & rear.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I'd love to have the shop you have, you have the tools, machines and design understanding to use them...such as tolerancing and materials. You must have worked in some type of engineering field?

I'd love to have the shop you have, you have the tools, machines and design understanding to use them...such as tolerancing and materials. You must have worked in some type of engineering field?
Yes, have been in the mechanical / service fields my entire working life.

DSCF0452.JPG
DSCF0453.JPG

Decided to beef up the wing today and proceeded to made a couple .25 diameter x .300 long sleeves for the rear wings support screws that are in those deep holes. with sleeves in there & longer screws a whole lot less flex. Also replaced the two cross support struts under the wing with aluminum ones.
Next was to make two struts with CF rod and some old inventory ball ends, some small anuminum stand offs for the ball ends to seat against.
Result some BEEFY supports that weigh just grams and a wing brace thats not breaking any time soon !

just swapped out the motor .... Installed a TORO Pro-8 2350 kv to get a better power / torque balance running on the 3S / 50c / 5000 packs
While the factory 2050 runs good on 3S, it has too much torque and a bit soft on top end running a 15t pinon. * gearing higher it gets HOT !
Now with the 2350 on a 14T it is faster on top and does not light up the tires as hard making it far easier to drive. ( on dirt use )

Nice work! Love the chassis supports. Are the rods carbon? I’m a machinist, 30yrs now. It comes in very handy in this hobby.

Mid chassis supports are Carbon rod epoxied ( JB weld ) into pockets of the end blocks. A single 4-40 screw drilled & tapped each end makes sure it don't come apart. Not had a single issue with them & used with the upper plate supports the chassis is now super stiff !

Wing mounts .... Original rods were hollow carbon rod, impacts getting rear ended put too much lateral load on them causing the epoxied in 4-40 rods to fracture the ends. Final solution was the 1/4" aluminum rods with pockets ( counter bores ) also using 4-40 threaded rod.
This made for a support that can take pretty substantial side hits while supporting wing mounts as was original intent.

Sense earlier in the year manufactured my own aluminum billet servo mount adding a SAVOX TI gear servo.
Stainless screen over SC fan intake ... damn leafs !!
Updated Sky RC Toro X8 PRO 2350 kv sensored motor ... tho still on the BLX 185 controller.
The beefed up Aluminum wing supports
Replaced lighter and more flexible NYLON rear swing arm debris shields ... far better coverage from roost !

Attachments

• DSCF0637.JPG
    DSCF0637.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0638.JPG
    DSCF0638.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0639.JPG
    DSCF0639.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0640.JPG
    DSCF0640.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 63
Figured this old thread was the correct place ....
Winter is here once again with our local playground track damp from the rain ... Play time once again !!

Last fall my Son & I took BOTH our buggies and revamped the Suspension ARMS top and bottom, Hubs and carriers with axles too for the KRATON parts and pieces. Kept the buggy wheels with the mod just giving us a WIDER track / footprint.
Tad change in shock spring pre-load along with changing oil weight we are back to TRACK / PLAY set up that is simply AWESOME !!!
The buggies can now more than ever be thrown around much harder having ON POWER slides in the corners so much more controllable.
Buggies are now so planted with there wider stance they don't flip over or high side nearly as often !!! Tho will say when they do crash the violence of doing so appears GREATLY elevated !!

Christmas just came ...
LSD's now on both ends
New version ( Large shaft ) shocks all around.

In 2021 was gifted & installed the upgraded ALLOY "Hot Racing" Kraton spec hub carriers on ALL 4.

This buggy has held up so well and in all these years only BROKEN 1 front lower A-arm ( Steering ball threads failed ) and 1 rear wing and a primary support structure. End over end high speed cartwheels and stationary object impacts do screw stuff up !!
Tho gone threw LOTS of bearings & tire sets.

Few more upgrades to accommodate the new LSD diffs ...
Put together another center diff ( all New parts ) and used a lighter fluid combo ( Had Been @ 800k ) being pretty stiff but not not locked stiff.
* still using stacked o-rings around output shafts to keep the dirt out and moly lube on shafts intact.
Currently have it about 300k and it rotates a lot free-er

Also removed the basher support plates ( Has movement at screws ) and replaced with a Carbon strut on ball link ends.
Beefier ball bearing fan on ESC as well .... lost 3 OEM's to date.

b.jpg

f.jpg

Last edited:
Am here again at 5 years of beating the TYPHON really hard running 3-5 batteries a day couple times a month threw out the winter.
Fractured / Broke My Digital Coreless TI gear SAVOX steering servo case, when gears sent sideways it fubared it internally requiring a replacement.
This go around an Aluminum case, Steel gear, Brushless servo at 2x the torque. It is so strong, if holding the wheels straight, move via radio L or R it ramps up the servo saver cam effortlessly.

Fans were updated to ROCKETS, heat seak added to motor as the Castle fan kept failing and just did not keep motor cool enough.
More of my Sons take off's ( Mostly HR ) keep finding there way onto my buggy.

The LSD's have been great & buggy has never handled so well. Chassis is indeed stiffer with the TLR but even then finding I want a chassis brace front to rear that is beefier than the C/F made a few years ago then abandoned.
HR bracket at rear diff/ wing mount provided 2 vertical tabs & we have a solid place for a F/R support brace.
* Using a pair of new offset camber link ball ends, fabricated a very light strut using an EASTON aluminum arrow shaft. Made threaded ends on stubs that all press fit and loc-tite together. Attachment a rear on a 4mm cross screw w/ internal sleeve, Up front a base for ball end fabricated that uses the front chassis brace screw.

We shall continue being a BIG KID ( 65 next month ) yea for most a real geezer :ROFLMAO:

n.jpg

o.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back