My Tutorial on changing your LiPo connector to an EC5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this. I know I'll need to do some connectors in the near future. :D

Also, ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION when soldering. There's a well-known gentleman who mods/repairs arcade sticks in the fighting game community who goes by the name of Ducky. He now has a nice piratey eye-patch he wears for the rest of his life due to a freak soldering accident and loss of an eye. If you have the "nah, it won't happen to me" attitude, I bet he thought the same thing.

Protect your peepers!

I can't solder for poop, but this video give me hope. Feel free to post any other instructional soldering videos. You did a great job.

One thing I don't like about this vid - he needs to have the wire hot enough to melt the solder in the cup. The way he shows it, you will get a Cold Joint, which can break later. All that is needed - after you insert the wire, add heat (the torch) again for a few seconds, then let it cool.

One thing I don't like about this vid - he needs to have the wire hot enough to melt the solder in the cup. The way he shows it, you will get a Cold Joint, which can break later. All that is needed - after you insert the wire, add heat (the torch) again for a few seconds, then let it cool.

Believe me with the torch it is plenty hot. The solder stays molten for several seconds after I insert the wire. This is why I have to hold it steady for several seconds. If you were heating it with a standard soldering iron I would say this statement is true.

Also quick little tip if you don't have a vice to hold your wire/connector. Just use a small pair of pliers and some rubber bands around the handle to keep it closed tight on it.

Im certified in soldering (class 1, 2, and 3) and precision vertical tig welding and do it for a living everyday. The method used in the original post is fine. A cold joint usually only happens if the joint being soldered is moved around while in the cool off process.

And just a little tip, if your LHS has any 63/37, 60/40 solder sitting on the shelves you should grab it. New federal mandates are going into effect soon to eliminate all leaded solder. If youve never used lead free it takes some practice and usually more heat to get a class 2 joint. Our company has gone to lead free/low flux already, and several of our guys failed the recertification test when using it.

Im certified in soldering (class 1, 2, and 3) and precision vertical tig welding and do it for a living everyday. The method used in the original post is fine. A cold joint usually only happens if the joint being soldered is moved around while in the cool off process.

And just a little tip, if your LHS has any 63/37, 60/40 solder sitting on the shelves you should grab it. New federal mandates are going into effect soon to eliminate all leaded solder. If youve never used lead free it takes some practice and usually more heat to get a class 2 joint. Our company has gone to lead free/low flux already, and several of our guys failed the recertification test when using it.

I solder daily for work and have been soldering for 26 years. The lead free stuff sucks.

Thank you for the helpful video.

I'm a newbie with an Arrma Granite 4x4 BLX on the way. I need to solder an EC5 connector to my gensacearespammers 3S LiPo. What connector (male/female) is on the Arrma Granite side of the connection? I was told I would need to solder the male bullets (within the plastic female housing) to my battery. Can anyone confirm if this is correct. Thanks!

omg omg omg thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for this video!!!!!! Not only can I NOT solder for poop cuz im a noobie whos still learning but I just bought a Bigrock and it comes with that EC5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

w0000000T! Today went from a poopy day to a kick ass day!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back