Typhon My Typhon 6S Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
I used to have a couple of Tamiya and Yokomo touring cars back in the day and just got back into the hobby this May. Started with a Granite 3S V2 and a Senton 3S V2, which are really nice trucks. Then decided to give 6S a try with the Typhon 6S and built it as a parking lot basher. The acceleration and handling of this buggy completely blows me away. Glad that I went with the 6S instead of the 3S. Upgrades so far:

Hot Racing front and rear chassis braces
GPM front and rear hinge pin holders
Hot Racing servo mount
DS3235 Servo
T Bone front and rear bumper
T Bone front shock skid
PowerHobby heatsink with dual motor fans
TRB sealed bearings throughout
Flysky GT5 Radio

Front diff filled with 30k and rear diff topped off with 8,000 cst. I'll be installing the aluminum diff case in the center and upping diff fluid to 200k.

I'll also up the shock oil to around 800 cst and possibly put in firmer shock springs from the Mojave. Even with adding a bit more preload to the stock setup, it's still bottoming out 1.5 feet off the ground. Hopefully the heavier shock oil and firmer springs will rectify this.

With the current setup, motor temps are only 120-125F max and ESC 125-130F max even on a 85F day. I can probably up the pinion to 14T and still not have to worry about temps, unlike my 3S trucks.

The Kraton EXB will be my next build as soon as I get this Typhon dialed in...

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

Metal diff case installed in the center. Surprised to see the diff fluid already black as I've only put three packs through it - once on 4S and twice on 6S. Did not use the shims that came with the metal diff case but instead used the large shims from Mugen E0206 behind the sun gears as well as 2 small shims behind the planetary gears. That seemed to tighten things up a bit and hopefully reduce wear. Also strengthened the body with drywall tape, shoe goo followed by a couple coats of plasti-dip.

Once I get the shocks dialed in I would be running this setup for a while until things start to break. Decided to not do anymore metal upgrades for now as I wanted to keep this buggy relatively light.

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

Nice build.be careful with those banditos.they don't like to go over 60mph.its SCREAMING FOR 1/5 grps.LOL
The GRP tires sure look interesting. I might get a set to try out, but shipping to Canada is so expensive!

Unfortunately the DS3235 servo bit the dust after just four light runs. End points were set properly from the start but the servo just wouldn't return to center now - it leans to the left after turning left and leans to the right after turning right. Ultimately decided to put in an AGFrc 36 kg servo and the steering is much more precise and consistent. Only two runs in, but so far so good.

image0.jpeg

I used to have a couple of Tamiya and Yokomo touring cars back in the day and just got back into the hobby this May. Started with a Granite 3S V2 and a Senton 3S V2, which are really nice trucks. Then decided to give 6S a try with the Typhon 6S and built it as a parking lot basher. The acceleration and handling of this buggy completely blows me away. Glad that I went with the 6S instead of the 3S. Upgrades so far:

Hot Racing front and rear chassis braces
GPM front and rear hinge pin holders
Hot Racing servo mount
DS3235 Servo
T Bone front and rear bumper
T Bone front shock skid
PowerHobby heatsink with dual motor fans
TRB sealed bearings throughout
Flysky GT5 Radio

Front diff filled with 30k and rear diff topped off with 8,000 cst. I'll be installing the aluminum diff case in the center and upping diff fluid to 200k.

I'll also up the shock oil to around 800 cst and possibly put in firmer shock springs from the Mojave. Even with adding a bit more preload to the stock setup, it's still bottoming out 1.5 feet off the ground. Hopefully the heavier shock oil and firmer springs will rectify this.

With the current setup, motor temps are only 120-125F max and ESC 125-130F max even on a 85F day. I can probably up the pinion to 14T and still not have to worry about temps, unlike my 3S trucks.

The Kraton EXB will be my next build as soon as I get this Typhon dialed in...

View attachment 99770

View attachment 99771

View attachment 99772

View attachment 99773

View attachment 99774
Have you considered widening it? There are a couple of ways it can be done. Hub extenders or by switching to the Kraton hubs. My two Typhons measure approximately 11" center to center on the tires or about 9.5" between the insides of the tires. The difference in stability is very noticeable, especially as you begin to increase your top speeds.

Have you considered widening it? There are a couple of ways it can be done. Hub extenders or by switching to the Kraton hubs. My two Typhons measure approximately 11" center to center on the tires or about 9.5" between the insides of the tires. The difference in stability is very noticeable, especially as you begin to increase your top speeds.
That’s an interesting idea. I could definitely use more stability as I’m approaching a point where one of the rear wheels often times would lift and I would need to go easy on the steering and lift off throttle.

I see that the hub extenders from associated that many recommended are discontinued. So I guess that only leave Me with the Kraton hubs option. Would I be correct in assuming that all I need are four wheel hexes, two front steering blocks, two rear hubs and two cvd axles for the front and two wheel axles for the rear?

That’s an interesting idea. I could definitely use more stability as I’m approaching a point where one of the rear wheels often times would lift and I would need to go easy on the steering and lift off throttle.

I see that the hub extenders from associated that many recommended are discontinued. So I guess that only leave Me with the Kraton hubs option. Would I be correct in assuming that all I need are four wheel hexes, two front steering blocks, two rear hubs and two cvd axles for the front and two wheel axles for the rear?
That list seems pretty complete. As far as that rear wheel lift goes, I still have that issue at times. Shock and sway bar adjustment will help I'm sure.

That list seems pretty complete. As far as that rear wheel lift goes, I still have that issue at times. Shock and sway bar adjustment will help I'm sure.
Typhon is now truggified with Kraton hubs, axles and hexes, less the tires. Mojave shock springs installed in the front, but still waiting for the rear ones to arrive from Amain to Canada. Will take it out for a spin once the weather dries up a bit. And will still have to figure out whether I want to stick with buggy tires or try something else, but my choices seem to be quite limited for on road use. Thanks for the excellent suggestion @NotoriousJ.

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

My Typhon 6S should arrive Monday. Going to making a parking lot racer out of it. Love seeing what everyone else has done with theirs. Looking forward to seeing hearing how your mods perform, she's lookin' good! :)

My Typhon 6S should arrive Monday. Going to making a parking lot racer out of it. Love seeing what everyone else has done with theirs. Looking forward to seeing hearing how your mods perform, she's lookin' good! :)
Took the widened Typhon out for a bash today and had a total blast. 16T pinion, 1,000 cst shock oil in the rear and 800 cst shock oil in the front. It now no longer flips over "on demand". Only time it flipped over today was when I caught the side of a speed bump turning at speed, which is to be expected. At this point, I consider truggifying a must for the type of bashing that I do. The Banditos probably has a few more packs in them until they become "drift tires", but so far they've been holding up - about 20 packs in, most of which on 6S.

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

Typhon is now truggified with Kraton hubs, axles and hexes, less the tires. Mojave shock springs installed in the front, but still waiting for the rear ones to arrive from Amain to Canada. Will take it out for a spin once the weather dries up a bit. And will still have to figure out whether I want to stick with buggy tires or try something else, but my choices seem to be quite limited for on road use. Thanks for the excellent suggestion @NotoriousJ.

@jhrc nut , thanks for sharing! I'm looking to do the same to my sons Typhon 6s and wanted to know if you mind sharing the part numbers you used to widen your Typhon 6s?

@jhrc nut , thanks for sharing! I'm looking to do the same to my sons Typhon 6s and wanted to know if you mind sharing the part numbers you used to widen your Typhon 6s?
Sure. I actually got everything from JennysRc:
I didn't really need the driveshafts/dogbones. Only the wheel axles in that set. However, I also have a Kraton 6S so am keeping those as spares. Plus, I think it's pretty much the same price to get just the axles separately. The Kraton/Outcast/Notorious share the same parts so I mixed and matched a bit based on what's available on that site.

Below is the list of parts I came up with initially if that helps:
  • CVD AXLE 8X44.5MM (2PCS) #AR310590
  • WHEEL AXLE (8X45MM) (2PCS) #AR310591
  • COMPOSITE FRONT STEERING BLOCK (1 PAIR) #AR330505
  • REAR HUB (2PCS) #AR330404
  • ALUMINUM WHEEL HEX 17MM (16.5MM THICK, RED) (2PCS) #AR310484
It didn't seem like much when I was putting things together and just looking at it, but that little extra width really improves handling unless you're doing straight line speed runs.

Sure. I actually got everything from JennysRc:
I didn't really need the driveshafts/dogbones. Only the wheel axles in that set. However, I also have a Kraton 6S so am keeping those as spares. Plus, I think it's pretty much the same price to get just the axles separately. The Kraton/Outcast/Notorious share the same parts so I mixed and matched a bit based on what's available on that site.

Below is the list of parts I came up with initially if that helps:
  • CVD AXLE 8X44.5MM (2PCS) #AR310590
  • WHEEL AXLE (8X45MM) (2PCS) #AR310591
  • COMPOSITE FRONT STEERING BLOCK (1 PAIR) #AR330505
  • REAR HUB (2PCS) #AR330404
  • ALUMINUM WHEEL HEX 17MM (16.5MM THICK, RED) (2PCS) #AR310484
It didn't seem like much when I was putting things together and just looking at it, but that little extra width really improves handling unless you're doing straight line speed runs.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info as well as the links. ??

@jhrc nut , you didn't have to use wider dogbones for the rear? Also, you didn't need to use wider lower or upper arms?
No, I didn't. With wider dogbones, arms and links, you'll basically turn it to an Outcast/Notorious. That's a bit too wide for a buggy IMO and will affect turning radius a bit too much.

No, I didn't. With wider dogbones, arms and links, you'll basically turn it to an Outcast/Notorious. That's a bit too wide for a buggy IMO and will affect turning radius a bit too much.

Ahh ok; gotcha. Thanks!

I did a few more things on my Typhon 6S over the past couple of weeks.
  • Finally received my Mojave shock springs for the rear so both front and rear are now using Mojave springs - 800 cst front, 1,000 cst rear
  • Replaced front and rear diff with the Arrma metal diff cases - now running 50k in the front and 10k in the rear
  • Put in a GPM aluminum center diff support
  • Also put in a Hot racing steering link to reduce some steering slop
  • The Duratrax Banditos became completely bald after around 25 - 30 packs so put on a new set of wheels, which are a bit smaller than the Banditos, so I upped the pinion to 18T
The Typhon is such a pleasure to drive. I think it's now pretty close to an ideal state for my type of bashing (for now...)
IMG_3280.jpg
IMG_3281.jpg
IMG_3275.jpg
IMG_3279.jpg

I did a few more things on my Typhon 6S over the past couple of weeks.
  • Finally received my Mojave shock springs for the rear so both front and rear are now using Mojave springs - 800 cst front, 1,000 cst rear
  • Replaced front and rear diff with the Arrma metal diff cases - now running 50k in the front and 10k in the rear
  • Put in a GPM aluminum center diff support
  • Also put in a Hot racing steering link to reduce some steering slop
  • The Duratrax Banditos became completely bald after around 25 - 30 packs so put on a new set of wheels, which are a bit smaller than the Banditos, so I upped the pinion to 18T
The Typhon is such a pleasure to drive. I think it's now pretty close to an ideal state for my type of bashing (for now...)
View attachment 111035View attachment 111036View attachment 111037View attachment 111038

Looks good. ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back