Kraton Nasty noise from center differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktc888

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Sound like the centre diff

I have had it all apart. Teeth are all perfect (checked it over and over again)

Thought it might be the pinion slipping on the motor but it's nice and tight

Opened up the diff. All cogs inside are great

Any suggestions would be appriciated

crown gear and pinion need changing there worn out and slipping

on rear or front

They look brand new on inspection

You might have to do a process of elimination. I start my removing both front and rear diffs and seeing if the noise is still there when you power it up on a stand. Inspect both the front and rear pinion gears to make sure they are spinning freely. Then I would put one of the diffs back and repeat the process. All if this with the truck on a stand the the wheels off the ground. See if you can narrow it down to where the issue is. Real hard to tell from your video.

You might have to do a process of elimination. I start my removing both front and rear diffs and seeing if the noise is still there when you power it up on a stand. Inspect both the front and rear pinion gears to make sure they are spinning freely. Then I would put one of the diffs back and repeat the process. All if this with the truck on a stand the the wheels off the ground. See if you can narrow it down to where the issue is. Real hard to tell from your video.
I'm finding it hard to find the issue myself and it's right in front of my lol. Basically I removed the front diff and noise has stopped but still can't see 1 issue with it. Teeth are all brilliant I have inspected everything. I have also shimmer it to see if that works but nothing

its just my outcast sounded like that when my ring and pinion were worn out

Maybe one of the cross pins for the output drive cups under the front crown gear has sheared.
7C7A9AA4-F327-45DB-B7BF-8B9A0F7F883C.jpeg

its just my outcast sounded like that when my ring and pinion were worn out
Pics from my centre diff. I'm no expert but those don't look like they need replacing yet :(

Attachments

• 20181202_171632.jpg
    20181202_171632.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20181202_171559.jpg
    20181202_171559.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20181202_171516.jpg
    20181202_171516.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 100
If you removed the front diff and the noise stopped, it's the front diff. The center diff is irrelevant now as you have already pinned down that it is the front and not the center. Let us see some pics of the crown and pinion gear for the front diff.

If you removed the front diff and the noise stopped, it's the front diff. The center diff is irrelevant now as you have already pinned down that it is the front and not the center. Let us see some pics of the crown and pinion gear for the front diff.
The noise also stops when I remove just the rear diff and leave the front in

Leave the front and rear differential in. Pull the center, remove the front and rear dogbones and reinstall the center. Run the motor and see what kind of noise you have.

Think I have finally found the issue.

Took the front diff out the casing and the bearing has dropped out. Smashed up

Can't find 1 ball out the bearing lol

I think there was a huge amount of movement in the pinion (no support from the bearing)

Will replace tomorrow and let you all no ?

Attachments

• 20181202_204443.jpg
    20181202_204443.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20181202_204323.jpg
    20181202_204323.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 101
Think I have finally found the issue.

Took the front diff out the casing and the bearing has dropped out. Smashed up

Can't find 1 ball out the bearing lol

I think there was a huge amount of movement in the pinion (no support from the bearing)

Will replace tomorrow and let you all no ?
Replace your stock bearings with rubber sealed bearings asap.

Replace your stock bearings with rubber sealed bearings asap.

That’s the first thing I do with every RTR vehicle that I buy. It should be tops on everybody’s list.

That’s the first thing I do with every RTR vehicle that I buy. It should be tops on everybody’s list.
I do this for vehicles that come with bushings or metal shielded bearings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back