Kraton Nasty noise from center differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a video for you:

Check that out and see if it helps. First time I’ve ever done one, lol, so bear with me. Also, I’m am keenly aware of my NY accent ? I’m sure someone was going to say something!

Also I forgot to mention, I do not screw the bulkhead cover all the way down with my power driver. I get in 3/4 of the way and then hand tighten so I don’t strip out the hole.
This has got to be the the greatest thing I've ever seen on a forum. A custom made video from one enthusiast to another. Bicketybam, you are this months member of the month in my book. (y)(y)

Had a good bash but still slipping like mad.

Does anyone no if it's possible to shim the input gear and if so what size shim?

((((I'm hoping to be able to shim before the bearing internally..))))

Seems a fair bit of play there!!

Here is a picture were I want to shim

Attachments

• 2018-12-06 19.00.03.png
    2018-12-06 19.00.03.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 37
Should be Kyosho KY096644 but you will want to shim between the bearing inner race and pinion shaft shoulder.

Pinion has 8mm shaft according part number AR310498 and AR610017.

Should be Kyosho KY096644 but you will want to shim between the bearing inner race and pinion shaft shoulder.

Pinion has 8mm shaft according part number AR310498 and AR610017.
I have Google that model number but not finding anything :s

Thanks for that will get them ordered

When my Notorious diffs were slipping badly, I found silver "dust" in the bulkhead case which was the metal from the teeth wearing away as they slipped. Let me know if you find that. If it’s slipping then it should be wearing the teeth.

When my Notorious diffs were slipping badly, I found silver "dust" in the bulkhead case which was the metal from the teeth wearing away as they slipped. Let me know if you find that. If it’s slipping then it should be wearing the teeth.
Yes there is. I 100% no now that it's the front diff. ?

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I bought a 2nd hand v4 Kraton, and it sounds super noisy from the centre diff. Ive checked the play between the main diff gear & motor one and get a slight 'click' which I believe to be correct. I took the main diff apart and checked/cleaned all the gears inside and refilled with new oil. What i have noticed is, the outer bearings fit snug in the 2 bottom supports, but when I push the top plastic stay into position there is 1mm or so play ie I can lift the bearing off the bottom supports. Question, Is this how it should be?? Is my top stay missing something to hold the bearings in the bottom supports? Any help would be good - I'm at a loss currently. Thanks all

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I bought a 2nd hand v4 Kraton, and it sounds super noisy from the centre diff. Ive checked the play between the main diff gear & motor one and get a slight 'click' which I believe to be correct. I took the main diff apart and checked/cleaned all the gears inside and refilled with new oil. What i have noticed is, the outer bearings fit snug in the 2 bottom supports, but when I push the top plastic stay into position there is 1mm or so play ie I can lift the bearing off the bottom supports. Question, Is this how it should be?? Is my top stay missing something to hold the bearings in the bottom supports? Any help would be good - I'm at a loss currently. Thanks all
I don’t think the bearing should move at all. I would look and see if the top piece has been altered by heat or friction. Maybe buy a new one from a kit breaker?

I don’t think the bearing should move at all. I would look and see if the top piece has been altered by heat or friction. Maybe buy a new one from a kit breaker?
I just had a look and the top part ata320499 this has the small 'lips' to hold the bearing in so doesn't look its been altered of heat degradation, so pushing the top support as hard as possible in place, I can move/rock the whole centre diff up and down. Thsi doesn't matter if the axles are attached or not :( Any other ideas what to check?

I just had a look and the top part ata320499 this has the small 'lips' to hold the bearing in so doesn't look its been altered of heat degradation, so pushing the top support as hard as possible in place, I can move/rock the whole centre diff up and down. Thsi doesn't matter if the axles are attached or not :( Any other ideas what to check?
Sorry if you said this before, but are the bearings in good shape?

Sorry if you said this before, but are the bearings in good shape?
I have 2 centre diffs (one brand new) and both have the same amount of play. The problem is, as I bought it 2nd hand I have no reference point what a new one should be like. I can only presume this play shouldn't be there, but i just don't know where or what to do now :(

**UPDATE**, it was me (a noob). I was pushing the top support down onto the bearings which was making it 'rock'. I tried again this morning, heard a 'click' and the bearings must have moved slightly inwards so they now sit behind the lip on the top support. All sounds as a pound now. Thanks for all the help

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back