Need a bench vise and don't want to spend much $ Here's what I'm thinking:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that won't give up easily.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Notorious
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
Also need a tool stand for the vice. At Amazon shipped I can get a Yost vice for $26-60 and this is pretty much my limit. Less cost than anything at Harbor Freight even with the 20% off coupon.
I also need a stand (second choice) and don't want to spend much and don't have the skill or tools to build my own.
Any suggestions? Would like to stay as much under $100 as I can including additional mounting hardware and reviews mention best is hex bolts.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Call around to your local used machine tool dealers. I’m sure they can probably make you a good deal on a used one. Even if it is worn out by their standards it will be more than good and well for your purposes.
https://www.ebay.com/i/173861463125...MInbv1k6LC4gIVTrnACh1bSA6dEAQYCiABEgJ59fD_BwE

Get some nylon or aluminum jaw plates for the vise you get too. It will save your workpiece and is worth their weight in gold.

I would mount this on one of your work benches I’ve seen in your pics...

Last edited:
The stand your looking at is for a bench grinder.... I guess you can put a vise on but it could get top heavy . I'm a firm believer in quality tools... Buy once not twice. When it come to a vise I would hold out for an old Wilton Bullet vise and mount it on a nice hd bench.... It will last forever and won't limit or fall on you.... JMO

Wasn’t familiar with the Yost vise but they look pretty good.

Here is another one. This is one of those things you want to spend the money on up front. Get a big one of you can swing it because you will want to use it for everything and it’s better to have a robust vise than a cheapie.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/irwin-4-1-...MIn93TgaTC4gIVC9bACh1CQg50EAsYASABEgKLRPD_BwE
Kurt and Eastwood make great vises as well...their more for the machine tool variety but great none the less.

Kurt makes more of Milling machine vises.... (very pricy) Eastwood is an Import. Wilton is USA made and the staple vise in most machine/Auto shops. It really depends what your going to be using the vise for... Expect to pay $100.00 plus for a used one... Wilton is the Arrma of vises... Tuff

Also need a tool stand for the vice. At Amazon shipped I can get a Yost vice for $26-60 and this is pretty much my limit. Less cost than anything at Harbor Freight even with the 20% off coupon.
I also need a stand (second choice) and don't want to spend much and don't have the skill or tools to build my own.
Any suggestions? Would like to stay as much under $100 as I can including additional mounting hardware and reviews mention best is hex bolts.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Here's the one I use. It's been solid and the jaws line up nicely. $39 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-455BV-5-Inch-Heavy-Swivel/dp/B07KL4D717

Swivels fine and stays put when locked down. I just mounted it to my work bench.
Thanks! I don't have much of an area to mount it on the bench so I need a stand. But I think I'll order this one tonight with Prime shipping. Very good and I thank you for your help.

The stand your looking at is for a bench grinder.... I guess you can put a vise on but it could get top heavy . I'm a firm believer in quality tools... Buy once not twice. When it come to a vise I would hold out for an old Wilton Bullet vise and mount it on a nice hd bench.... It will last forever and won't limit or fall on you.... JMO

Both stands I showed will hold the vice weight I'm considering and probably lighter than the bench grinder. Both are standard bench equipment stands.
Both stands I showed will hold the vice weight I'm considering and probably lighter than the bench grinder. Both are standard bench equipment stands.
just to clarify, I don't need it for anything more than holding small parts. My shop isn't even big enough to bring an 8' pipe into to manipulate. My intention is to use it to hold small parts for sanding and polishing and why I'm looking for lowest cost.

You can always bolt the stand to the floor if you need more stability but if using just for small parts, I wouldn't worry about it.

You can always bolt the stand to the floor if you need more stability but if using just for small parts, I wouldn't worry about it.
This is what I'm thinking. Standard casters and 2of4 with locks. I'll be using it for RC small parts and a chassis might be the biggest thing in volume it ever holds. I just want something to hold what I'm sanding or polishing better than my $3 wood clamp on a 2x4 wall stud.
The tools I use at work I certainly buy the best and agree always buy once.
In this case though, I'm probably over-spending for something to hold shock towers to polish with a driver or dremel style tool. But I can afford $100

This is what I did to a small but good vice for loosening the bbl nuts on an AR15. I do this with a lot of stuff so it takes up little room and can be put away when not in use. I use deep clamps and have never had any trouble. Taking a bbl nut loose is a HEAVY strain and this handled it fine.

All of it came from Lowes Hardware and was well under $100.00. The vice is bolted with flange/blind/lock nuts underneath the 2X6 and I'vw even used it to hold mower bladea for sharpening.

IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG

Last edited:
I see you mounted yours wrong too... lol!

I really wish I had put more thought into mine when I mounted it. I should have mounted it closer to the edge of my work bench as I can't put anything in it that is longer than 6-8" as the end of it hits my bench top vs going down to the floor. Some day I'm going to remove it and remount it... some day.

This was my first vice... whatever lowes sold:
2010-1107-BrokenVise.jpg

I'm hard on stuff. Replaced it with a similar one.

HUH?? If you're talking about mine, the only thing mine is mounted to is the 2X6 and then I clamp it wherever I wish. Two clamps and it is sturdy. That table it is on is just some place for me to set it out of the way.

Guys- go to garage sales, especially if you happen to drive by a sign on the side of the road early on a weekday (good stuff goes fast, and especially on a weekend)... but the best stuff on tools is the old stuff. 30-40-50-60 years ago stuff.

Find a yard sale and get fantastic stuff for pennies on the dollar. This is true for everything tool related not just vices.

I really wish I had put more thought into mine when I mounted it. I should have mounted it closer to the edge of my work bench as I can't put anything in it that is longer than 6-8" as the end of it hits my bench top vs going down to the floor. Some day I'm going to remove it and remount it... some day.

This was my first vice... whatever lowes sold:
2010-1107-BrokenVise.jpg

I'm hard on stuff. Replaced it with a similar one.

I love the bent handle! It means you've been using it right!

Are those boat pieces I see in the background? The tubing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back