Need a good radio and receivers for bashing around a new build kit vehicle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sludog

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Well it looks like I'm going to be be ordering a Tekno build kit with all the fixings this weekend to kill some cabin fever. Wondering what radio to get for some good clean park bashing and backyard fun. I'lll just use this radio for the kit vehicle and maybe some more if I add more kits down the line. I will still be using the RTR radios with my Arrma vehicles. It seems that some may be overkill with tons of memory features and programmable features I may never use or maybe I will use and don't know it yet. I have used Futaba in the past but I saw a few Sanwa radios for sale locally. Are the higher end Spektrum radios a good option?
Any advice on what models to look at?

Well it looks like I'm going to be be ordering a Tekno build kit with all the fixings this weekend to kill some cabin fever. Wondering what radio to get for some good clean park bashing and backyard fun. I'lll just use this radio for the kit vehicle and maybe some more if I add more kits down the line. I will still be using the RTR radios with my Arrma vehicles. It seems that some may be overkill with tons of memory features and programmable features I may never use or maybe I will use and don't know it yet. I have used Futaba in the past but I saw a few Sanwa radios for sale locally. Are the higher end Spektrum radios a good option?
Any advice on what models to look at?
Higher end Spektrum are worth considering but check receiver prices to be sure you're comfortable there too. I really like the DX5 Rugged but receiver prices scared me off.

Spektrum receiver prices were a real turn off for me too. If you are looking for a well featured radio that doesn't break the bank.. have a look at the Flysky GT5. Its a great radio for the money thats hard to fault..
20 model memory, Good range, <15ms latency and cheap gyro receivers with AVC (ie; seperate throttle and steering gyro gains along with overall gyro gain) works really well..

Last edited:
Higher end Spektrum are worth considering but check receiver prices to be sure you're comfortable there too. I really like the DX5 Rugged but receiver prices scared me off.
Yeah I noticed that with the Sanwa radios that the receiver were a bit pricey as well.

I’m using a flysky gt5 cause my futuba receiver broke and I refuse to by a new receiver for $90 Canadian. I bought a flysky and 2 extra receivers for $120

DX5C for a "non" Rugged variant to save some good money. Otherwise Identical to the DX5-Rugged software/screen wise. I like it. Updated to the latest Raceware. Its future proof in this way. Multi 20 model menu for additional rigs. Will do Telemetry and AVC if that's in your future plans. There are many cheaper alternative brands also.

The antenna on the gt5 looks scary. I feel it would snap off if dropped on its head.

DX5C for a "non" Rugged variant to save some good money. Otherwise Identical to the DX5-Rugged software/screen wise. I like it. Updated to the latest Raceware. Its future proof in this way. Multi 20 model menu for additional rigs. Will do Telemetry and AVC if that's in your future plans. There are many cheaper alternative brands also.
I saw some reviews that the Dx5c screen control can be troublesome. Do you have this radio?

Is a 6 channel radio overkill for a basher?
Kind of overkill IMO. But most better radios just offer the extra channels. Crawlers can use those extra channels. for lighting and winches 2 spd. trannies, and Dig control. Bashers may need a set of lighting for night bashing. I do that. These 6 channel radios are for many different RC cars and trucks out there. That's why the extra channels are there. If I wanted the cheapest radio, I would still want at least 3 channels minimum. Just my preference.

Last edited:
It folds down, you just fold it up for longer range. Actually feels quite robust.
Of thats good. I thought it was fixed straight up and rigid.

Is a 6 channel radio overkill for a basher?

I used a DumboRC X6FG for a while,and for the price it was great. I then picked up the GT5 for $40 from a guy (new). I now have it controlling two different cars. I figured for the price,I would have those channels if I need them. I have Ch 3 controlling my lights.

Kind of overkill IMO. But most better radios just offer the extra channels. Crawlers can use those extra channels. for lighting and winches 2 trannies, and Dig control. Bashers may need a set of lighting for night bashing. I do that. These 6 channel radios are for many different RC cars and trucks out there. That's why the extra channels are there. If I wanted the cheapest radio, I would still want at least 3 channels minimum. Just my preference.
Makes sense. I figured the more channels the radio has, more menus to deal with when programming. I was thinking 4 channels was sufficient for future applications and maybe a little cleaner of the screen.

I saw some reviews that the Dx5c screen control can be troublesome. Do you have this radio?
Yes sir I have the DX5C. All digital displays have a learning curve. Reviewers can be very subjective and be partial to some and not others. Igot used to mine and wiz thru all the menus no issue. Even the Futaba screens have been known to be cumbersome and considered harder than the Speckrum and GT, But they all do the same thing. Once you learn YOUR radio. You got it. Don't let a poorly reviewed menu/screen throw you off. That's BS. @razorrc has some real nice reviews of radios. Check him out. His videos of radios are on some of the threads here. But again all reviews are subjective at some point. Just pay attention to the actual performance of these radios. Range, ergonomics, response to input etc. That's most important. Smaller hands fit some brands better etc.

Yes sir I have the DX5C. All digital displays have a learning curve. Reviewers can be very subjective and be partial to some and not others. Igot used to mine and wiz thru all the menus no issue. Even the Futaba screens have been known to be cumbersome and considered harder than the Speckrum and GT, But they all do the same thing. Once you learn YOUR radio. You got it. Don't let a poorly reviewed menu/screen throw you off. That's BS. @razorrc has some real nice reviews of radios. Check him out. His videos of radios are on some of the threads here. But again all reviews are subjective at some point. Just pay attention to the actual performance of these radios. Range, ergonomics, response to input etc. That's most important. Smaller hands fit some brands better etc.
I saw the receivers on the DX5 run like $80. Is there a cheaper receiver option?

Some consider FlySky software to be very intuitive. Surface and flight radios. I have a friend that would never "upgrade" to Taranis because his FkySky radio was so much easier to get up and running with a new receiver. I have the FS NB4 Noble and have nothing but love for it. I do find it very intuitive, receivers are around $30-35, and the metal build quality and screen is basically unmatched. Also no need for external batteries because it uses a powerbank style, removable module. Charge it from a usb port and good to go for a very long time. It's in the upper price range though but comes with two receivers. Also comes with two grips to fit larger or smaller hands. It weighs 18.5oz total which may be a bit heavier than many.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back