Need a good radio and receivers for bashing around a new build kit vehicle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the receivers on the DX5 run like $80. Is there a cheaper receiver option?
The Dx5C is DSMR based protocol. The $80. RX you see are AVC and telemetry equipped. Im sure there are 3 and 4 channel cheaper DSMR RX's. Go to Specktrums website. Shop them first. But that is a great question regarding he price of Rx's. Futaba Rx's can be very expensive and sometimes on B/O too. I have 4 models on my radio and some were only $39. or there abouts. I also have 2 $80. ones. But you don't need them. They are just optional variants of RX's
This is not expensive at all:

https://spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMSR215
You can buy just the DX5C alone and buy the RX separately. I think if you def want the $80. dollar Rx, you get a better deal buying it together with the radio as a bundle. You have options if you want a spektrum DSMR radio. DSMR radios have the best interference rejection IMO. With decent range. Never had an issue compared to some of my cheaper radios I also have. Some food for thought. :cool:

Last edited:
The Noble is considered an excellent radio. One that I may jump on in the near future.(y) Especially if you are into bells and whistles. Good bang for the buck also.

Some consider FlySky software to be very intuitive. Surface and flight radios. I have a friend that would never "upgrade" to Taranis because his FkySky radio was so much easier to get up and running with a new receiver. I have the FS NB4 Noble and have nothing but love for it. I do find it very intuitive, receivers are around $30-35, and the metal build quality and screen is basically unmatched. Also no need for external batteries because it uses a powerbank style, removable module. Charge it from a usb port and good to go for a very long time. It's in the upper price range though but comes with two receivers. Also comes with two grips to fit larger or smaller hands. It weighs 18.5oz total which may be a bit heavier than many.

Its also one of the lowest latency radios you can buy. I think its the only current radio I'd consider upgrading to. Its a very nice piece of kit.
A few months back when I was looking.... Flysky told me personally on RCGroups that they were looking into putting AVC functionality on the NB4 in the future. I'd already just bought my GT5 though.. :/

Its also one of the lowest latency radios you can buy. I think its the only current radio I'd consider upgrading to. Its a very nice piece of kit.
A few months back when I was looking.... Flysky told me personally on RCGroups that they were looking into putting AVC functionality on the NB4 in the future. I'd already just bought my GT5 though.. :/

True. I didn't even think to mention latency which is as important as all I mentioned....especially if we consider the Spektrum STX2 system as an example of very poor latency. Whatever cheap protocol vs other offerings from Spektrum, it's noticeably poor.

Honestly, AVC and Gyros and Th limiting is waning IMO. Most end up disabling those features. I feel theres a purpose there. But why do most diasble it? Hard core speed guys etc. Its just NG for bashing and Big air. I use AVC, but its turned down so low it if at all. It can be a nuisance. It seems like a marketing feature and many brands offer it to compete with the next brand. Just my spin. Drifters like Gyros. I think that's where it all started. Gyros were standalone components between the RX and servo, initially used with the drifter crowd in the Pan Asian countries where its very popular in competition

Honestly, AVC and Gyros and Th limiting is waning IMO. Most end up disabling those features. I feel theres a purpose there. But why do most diasble it? Hard core speed guys etc. Its just NG for bashing and Big air. I use AVC, but its turned down so low it if at all. It can be a nuisance. It seems like a marketing feature and many brands offer it to compete with the next brand. Just my spin. Drifters like Gyros. I think that's where it all started. Gyros were standalone components between the RX and servo, initially used with the drifter crowd in the Pan Asian countries where its very popular in competition

Yep, we all have different needs/interests. The AVC interested me in particular for drifting. Throttle gyro gain is left at zero, it shouldnt even be an option.. The Steering priority is superb though Imo.
We quite often have sheet frost/ice winter days here and thats when it becomes a real fun feature to experiment with.

^^^For the same reasons I have not fully disabled it. I have gain zeroed for TH and, gain maybe at 20 for ST, But my Priority is all the way up 99% of the time. So pretty much I would not miss it at all. I think most don't need it, use it, or even understand it or care if its there.

I use my flysky on my outcast, kraton,
What do you think of it?

Not at that price no. Its just a bonus.
I love mine but I had mine with notorious j who had his and he was having signal issues. The only difference between his and mine is he bought it from Banggood and bought from AliExpress. I run my outcast, kraton and et48.3 on it with no issues at all

I’ve got probably the best option for you right here, and it’s free!!!! I said free radio and receiver! Guaranteed to glitch, and do some weird sh*t!!!!! Please take it from my home!

Attachments

• 43637C5E-3BFE-46FF-8099-AF86D75FF039.jpeg
    43637C5E-3BFE-46FF-8099-AF86D75FF039.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 41
I’ve got probably the best option for you right here, and it’s free!!!! I said free radio and receiver! Guaranteed to glitch, and do some weird sh*t!!!!! Please take it from my home!
Lol. Do you really want me to destroy my new build kit. ?

I saw the receivers on the DX5 run like $80. Is there a cheaper receiver option?

Any of the DSMR receivers will work, they start at $30.

I use my flysky on my outcast, kraton,

I love mine but I had mine with notorious j who had his and he was having signal issues. The only difference between his and mine is he bought it from Banggood and bought from AliExpress. I run my outcast, kraton and et48.3 on it with no issues at all
Looks like I should go with the GT5. Great value and good starting point for the build kit. Also leaves extra cash to splurge on the good stuff like motor and servos.

^^^For the same reasons I have not fully disabled it. I have gain zeroed for TH and, gain maybe at 20 for ST, But my Priority is all the way up 99% of the time. So pretty much I would not miss it at all. I think most don't need it, use it, or even understand it or care if its there.

Are you talking about the Spektrum or Flysky gyro?

For me (Flysky) the steering priority being right up still allows it work right up until max steering input and with the gyro still being active works more as a 'heading hold'. For me that feels very, very different than having the gyro fully disabled.

Its possible that the Spektrum AVC might work a little differently?... but try comparing 100% steering priority vs guro fully deactivated and you might see what I mean.

Great discussion.. Be interesting to compare the behaviour of both by putting up videos... If the OP doesn't mind.

Any of the suggested radios discussed are good. Buy what your wallet allows. If you plan to have multiple models consider price and availability of Rx's at present and down the road.
@Ari33, I have the Spektrum Dx5C./1 AVC rx. Other 4 models using standard DSMR Rx's as well.

Last edited:
The good thing about buying a Spektrum radio like the DX5C is that the higher end Arrma's and Losi's come with compatible receivers, so you can just bind it up and drive.

The good thing about buying a Spektrum radio like the DX5C is that the higher end Arrma's and Losi's come with compatible receivers, so you can just bind it up and drive.
Sort of what I did,
I have an Infraction but hated the radio so I bought a TX only DX5c and then bound it to the AVC RX in the Infraction, after a while when I was happy with the DX5c I decided to buy some 3 channel RX's for all my other rigs..???

Was going to go with Futaba, but when I researched the RX's are just too expensive.

I watched @razorrc videos when I was trying to choose a radio very informative and unbiased reviews, I made the right choice buying the Spektrum DX5c it has so many options and features for the money, also nice feel in the hand. It has a weight to it but not too heavy to hold.
Two negative points in my opinion are, I wish it had a backlit display and as others have said the menu is a bit ? until you get used to it..??

I'm happy with my DX5c, have thought about buying the orange rugged recently and if I do all I'll have to do is bind all the receivers and go..??

Well it seems that if I go with the Flysky GT5 they won't ship until the end of April or early May. Not going to wait that long so I guess its back to the drawing board.

Sort of what I did,
I have an Infraction but hated the radio so I bought a TX only DX5c and then bound it to the AVC RX in the Infraction, after a while when I was happy with the DX5c I decided to buy some 3 channel RX's for all my other rigs..???

You can also buy those fake Spektrum DSM2 receivers on eBay. They will work with the DX5C. I think you have to bind at 16.5ms frame rate instead of 11ms though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back