Need a new multi-meter, Klein MM400 or spend the extra for a Fluke 117?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extremeengineer

No babe, I’ve had that one for a while...
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
So my 30 yr. old Craftsman multimeter finally bit it last night, don't remember what I paid for it, but I got my money's worth. My corner hardware has the Klein MM400, $58.99, but I have a $10 off anything over $50 from them, so I'm thinking that one is hard to pass up, but I am also considering a Fluke 117, anyone have either? Fluke will do up to 20A, while Klein is only rated to 10A, so that would occasionally be an issue for me, that's my biggest concern.

Fluke is a much better meter. I had some issues with several Klein units

I've got a Fluke 117 and a 114 and I would think they are overkill for most people that don't need a meter daily. I do low voltage work now and rarely need a meter compared to years past. Also not sure about the 20 amp comment, pretty sure it's 10amp like most dmms. Though I think I've only ever measured amps with a dmm once.

What is great about Fluke over the cheaper models is how fast it is at taking readings and you knew it was going to be accurate. Great for when you're troubleshooting blindly though a circuit board. Way overkill for taking voltage or resistance measurements. Another great attribute is how relatively tough they are, not so much needed if it never left the bench but great for mobile work.

I build guitar amps. Fairly high voltage (500ish DC isn't uncommon) and I've had a couple of Fluke meters laying around over the years. For years I used a Fluke 87V that my buddy got decades ago while going through Nuke school in the Navy. Other than replacing the 9v once I built amps for 10 years with it. When my buddy started getting interested in building amps I gave it back and I bought myself a Fluke 115 to replace it (not nearly as burly a meter) and the 115 is an awesome little meter. The 115's are pretty reasonable and do everything you'd ever need. That's the "minimum" I need to build amps (I feel) as it'll do capacitance and RMS voltages in AC/DC and it autoranges. Just a super slick piece of kit.

If your Klein doesn't work out I'd probably go that route.

The only difference between the 115 and the 117 is the 117 does non-contact voltage. When I'm wrenching on an amp chassis everything on the turret board has at least 300v DC lol... so that's something I didn't need. I just keep one hand in my pocket when I'm screwing around in the chassis.

I build guitar amps. Fairly high voltage (500ish DC isn't uncommon) and I've had a couple of Fluke meters laying around over the years. For years I used a Fluke 87V that my buddy got decades ago while going through Nuke school in the Navy. Other than replacing the 9v once I built amps for 10 years with it. When my buddy started getting interested in building amps I gave it back and I bought myself a Fluke 115 to replace it (not nearly as burly a meter) and the 115 is an awesome little meter. The 115's are pretty reasonable and do everything you'd ever need. That's the "minimum" I need to build amps (I feel) as it'll do capacitance and RMS voltages in AC/DC and it autoranges. Just a super slick piece of kit.

If your Klein doesn't work out I'd probably go that route.

The only difference between the 115 and the 117 is the 117 does non-contact voltage. When I'm wrenching on an amp chassis everything on the turret board has at least 300v DC lol... so that's something I didn't need. I just keep one hand in my pocket when I'm screwing around in the chassis.
You don't get any better than the 87V 👍
I live and die by that meter. It is expensive to buy new though.

Yeah... Building a modded Marshall or Fender Tweed clone or something like that with an 87V is like using your 500hp supercar for Doordash lol... Way overkill. For a while I had both meters laying around and really the 115 does everything most anyone would need. It's a great little meter for the $$$ and doesn't cost nearly $500.

I deal with everything from really high voltage, down to mv....all on the same day 🤣😂

Sounds like some of you guys do some serious electrical work, all I have is a Harbor Freight cheapo.

This is the sort of stuff I do

Jose Mod Build.JPG

IMG_20201002_084403_740.jpg

From this, down to troubleshooting industrial machines. Just never know what the day will hold. Hm....maybe an electric motor troubleshooting, and rebuild.....or, maybe running high voltage feed lines, or sub lines after a transformer install. And after that, yay, looks like that engine needs taken out and rebuilt.....lol I just never quite know what the day may hold.....maybe a wall needs built? 👍
Oh ya, then have to come home and build the house and do some farming.....lol

Epic yo. Don't get fried.
Like I said...Live and die by my Fluke 87V.....lolol
All joking aside, I've had all my fingers smashed off of my left hand and reattached. They did a great job....lol
So, ya, it can be dangerous....and I do my best to stay alive, and come home with all my parts every day. We had a guy get killed last week, got sucked up into the machine. He was an operator at one of the plants.....but honestly a prime example of what not to do....wear a hoody 🤨
Ah, heck....here they are now. A bit crooked, nails will never be right, but they work just fine...untill about 40 degrees or so....then not so much....lolol.

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_070557_990.jpg
    IMG_20210116_070557_990.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I did the industrial manufacturing gig for the better part of a decade. Programming, setting up, and operating ginormous CNC's and whatnot. Super fun but once the economy crashed in 2008 and I went from making really good money to chump change overnight I decided college wasn't a bad idea lol. I have a much more stable and recession proof job now.

While we're on the subject. I'm a machinist of 35 years and have never once been laid off. Journeymen toolmakers and machinists, if they know sh!t from shinola can make good money anywhere...we're almost extinct.

btw, get the fluke...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back