Need a solution to breaking shock pistons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
As I climb higher and higher with my jumping skills I'm finding new weak spots to upgrade on my rigs. Finally started breaking something I can't find an upgrade for. At least not for my application. The buggy is a Hobao hyper sse with arrma 6s electronics. It is easy to jump to the moon but evidently the landings are a bit much. I have my droop screws set properly and usually run it trugified on badlands while doing the big jumps. Badland MX buggy tires for lighter duty and open field speed. Running 45 weight shock oil. So does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or know of an upgrade for the Hobao shock pistons? Or do I just need to order a set from Jenny's for a Typhon since I've never busted one on my kraton or notorious? Starting to get frustrated with this issue. Busted two of them the other night doing some medium 10'-12' jumps from my ramp. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 8B0C8ABB-24FC-4206-A7B6-190363830B8A.jpeg
    8B0C8ABB-24FC-4206-A7B6-190363830B8A.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 0828CFBE-6A35-422A-9A98-0DA0AFC44BE1.jpeg
    0828CFBE-6A35-422A-9A98-0DA0AFC44BE1.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DEB83254-348B-403D-A3CF-6372DF0FC6D5.jpeg
    DEB83254-348B-403D-A3CF-6372DF0FC6D5.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 44648DD8-2F00-48D3-9F77-87DA72AFEE3B.jpeg
    44648DD8-2F00-48D3-9F77-87DA72AFEE3B.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 411EADC8-3FD5-4DE0-AD65-26716693242E.jpeg
    411EADC8-3FD5-4DE0-AD65-26716693242E.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hey buddy, nice buggy. Is your chassis bottoming out or the shocks. When and if the chassis is held all the way til it touches can you still pick up a wheel a couple mm. I never owned a Hobao buggy so idk. Maybe the tekno or Arrma buggy shocks would fit and or give a little more travel. I run the talion shocks on my typhon and like them a lot. Good luck.
Jim

Other ideas, put a small washer underneath and it will distribute the load or add a short piece of silicon tubing around the shaft to prevent it from bottoming out.

Try to live with a lighter oil. That's what I had to do on my revo's. I like the damping I get with 80wt, but hate that it snaps pistons in half, so I run 60wt and live with the chassis slap.

Also, what @Jimbobjr mentioned may be a factor. However, if the shocks were bottoming out internally, you'd likely be snapping shock ends, not pistons.

Hey buddy, nice buggy. Is your chassis bottoming out or the shocks. When and if the chassis is held all the way til it touches can you still pick up a wheel a couple mm. I never owned a Hobao buggy so idk. Maybe the tekno or Arrma buggy shocks would fit and or give a little more travel. I run the talion shocks on my typhon and like them a lot. Good luck.
Jim

So I’ve been breaking some rear shock standoffs recently and I’m thinking it’s because of this. I pushed my rear end down till the chassis bottomed out and wasn’t able to lift the wheel off the ground anymore, no more travel in the shocks I guess. How do I adjust this ?

So I’ve been breaking some rear shock standoffs recently and I’m thinking it’s because of this. I pushed my rear end down till the chassis bottomed out and wasn’t able to lift the wheel off the ground anymore, no more travel in the shocks I guess. How do I adjust this ?
What vehicle? What mods?

Attachments

• 7CB1855F-838C-45B5-A03E-76E28C8D39CF.jpeg
    7CB1855F-838C-45B5-A03E-76E28C8D39CF.jpeg
    590.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 5A8227CA-6A46-4FE8-BCD5-70BC779986F7.jpeg
    5A8227CA-6A46-4FE8-BCD5-70BC779986F7.jpeg
    874.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 0B578A36-C53A-4FBD-A9A3-56A29CE0E618.jpeg
    0B578A36-C53A-4FBD-A9A3-56A29CE0E618.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 46
Are your droop screws adjusted too high?

Maybe? I initially set it up by setting the truck on my stand, no wheels. And turned the droop screws until I had to slightly compress the shock to get the holes in the a arms to line up to shove the pin in. Should I have to compress it more than say a 1/8 of an inch to get it in the a arm? This issue is only in the rear. Broke 2 m2c shock standoffs. And of course the shock rod end with it lol.

After thinking more, the droop screws don’t affect up travel, only down travel. So ignore that message above. Is the shock bottoming out? Like the body is touching the perch?

After thinking more, the droop screws don’t affect up travel, only down travel. So ignore that message above. Is the shock bottoming out? Like the body is touching the perch?

Yeah I figured the droop screws only really effect over extension of the shock and I think I’m good there. I’m thinking the shock is bottoming out yeah. And the shocks taking all the force of landings, instead of the chassis slapping before the shocks bottom out. I guess lol I’m no professional but that seems most logical to me. Just don’t know how to adjust or fix that.

Yeah I figured the droop screws only really effect over extension of the shock and I think I’m good there. I’m thinking the shock is bottoming out yeah. And the shocks taking all the force of landings, instead of the chassis slapping before the shocks bottom out. I guess lol I’m no professional but that seems most logical to me. Just don’t know how to adjust or fix that.
I don’t own a K6S but is there any other top shock positions that might give you more travel?

You can move the shock perches to holes further in on the towers and outer hole (if there is more than one) on the arms. If I'm thinking correctly it may give you a couple mm. Just do one shock and see, lol. This will give you a lower ride height but more travel in the shocks after touch down. You will need to reset the droop as well. Most of the time bashers would want it the other way around, putting the shocks more upright. Landing one one side or one tire will break those buggers off. Are they tekno shocks or stock? Tekno rod ends? those are a little shorter.

I don’t own a K6S but is there any other top shock positions that might give you more travel?

Yeah there’s another hole higher up on the tower. I’m at the middle one right now. The
M2c towers give three just like stock. Guess I should try that
You can move the shock perches to holes further in on the towers and outer hole (if there is more than one) on the arms. If I'm thinking correctly it may give you a couple mm. Just do one shock and see, lol. This will give you a lower ride height but more travel in the shocks after touch down. You will need to reset the droop as well. Most of the time bashers would want it the other way around, putting the shocks more upright. Landing one one side or one tire will break those buggers off. Are they tekno shocks or stock? Tekno rod ends? those are a little shorter.

yeah I’m in the middle hole on the tower and inner hole on the rpm arms. I was thinking about trying to go more upright with it and go to top hole but I like the way in handles drive wise, where’s it at now. Guess I’ll experiment!

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for getting back late, life keeps getting in the way of play time lol. I do have nearly an inch of uptravel after the chassis is pushed down. I just received some new pistons with more holes in them (stock is 4 new is 6 holes) and going to try a slightly thinner shock oil as well and see if that will solve it. I'm pretty sure they are breaking on landing but could be way off. I absolutely love this buggy and recommend it to everyone that asks about it. Tough and a rocket ship. Diffs have held up to 6s abuse even when it's wearing the 3.8 badlands. Could be breaking pistons because of weight even though droop is set correctly? I have broken two with the mx buggy tires and one with stock race style tires though so doubtful. Might try some mx2.8 badlands and see if that's a happy medium. I need to figure out a top deck style brace as well since the chassis does flex and eat bodies on awkward landings. Most of the aftermarket support for it is aimed at racing not bashing so I'm kinda on my own but won't be giving up on it anytime soon. Worst case scenario I pony up for some talion or typhon shocks. Thanks again

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back