Need advice. Best 6s ESC/motor combo bashing/speed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybee223

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hey guys. Need some advice on some motor/esc choices for my Kronos XTR(if your not familiar its just like a 1/8 Kraton Exb). I'm currently running the stock Corally setup from my Shogun 6s (Hobbywing Max8 esc and Kuron 825- 4074 2050kv). This setup rips, really fast with alot of torque, but the motor gets Really HOT, especially on 6s, the esc can get kinda hot sometimes .ive been looking at some of the Castle setups, and also the Tekin RX8. I'd like something wit similar or better performance, buy also something that will run cooler. Thanks in advance!

Max6 combo is a solid option with a great reputation. With that said HW warranty is terrible...
Castle mmx8s with the 1717 motor would be another solid option with better performance, and warranty. Castle is picky about warranty. Most eBay purchases wont qualify. I always purchase direct from Castle just to be sure I am getting the exact parts I want and no warranty concerns for later.

Pending on budget.mmx8s=200$ and a tp4050-2100kv 130$ would be the best. Imo....more power than legal.8s capable
I'd just buy a leopard 4092 or 4082 or rocker4092. around 2000kv an try it with stock esc👍

I’m running Max6/1650kv combos I’m my K6 and KEXB. Both are gear up a little extreme, gotta run fans. I don’t have much experience with Castle, but plan on purchasing my first combo tomorrow. (Speed build) I think for bashing, the HW setup is a better choice. ($100 cheaper) Just my 2 cents.

I’m running Max6/1650kv combos I’m my K6 and KEXB. Both are gear up a little extreme, gotta run fans. I don’t have much experience with Castle, but plan on purchasing my first combo tomorrow. (Speed build) I think for bashing, the HW setup is a better choice. ($100 cheaper) Just my 2 cents.
I totally agree.ive put my 150a quikrun ,max8,max6 throu hell off road,under water bashed hard an never hurt one of them yet.new to castle,ive speedran them only..but much more options an power.🤷‍♂️

Yep I don't think castle is needed for a basher. It is hard to beat the reliability of the max6 combo in a basher...

Pending on budget.mmx8s=200$ and a tp4050-2100kv 130$ would be the best. Imo....more power than legal.8s capable
I'd just buy a leopard 4092 or 4082 or rocker4092. around 2000kv an try it with stock esc👍
Budgets not really an issue.. My main goal is to find something that performs as good or better than the stock setup, but with less heat.. I also want it to still run strong on 4 and 5s (I have an awesome powerhobby 5S)As far as the leopard option , if I get the 4092 with ~2000kv it should have the same top end it currently does? Just more torque/less heat am I right?

Budgets not really an issue.. My main goal is to find something that performs as good or better than the stock setup, but with less heat.. I also want it to still run strong on 4 and 5s (I have an awesome powerhobby 5S)As far as the leopard option , if I get the 4092 with ~2000kv it should have the same top end it currently does? Just more torque/less heat am I right?
Yes...leopards use 3mm motor bolts and 4mm motor leads..I have a leopard 4082-2000kv motor.great basher motor,i run mine with the 3mm screws an haven't had any problems..

Screenshot_20201104-181050_Chrome.jpg

Not sure how this helps lol appreciate the info, but I'm currently running the stock Team Corally electronics. Which is a repackaged Max6 esc and corallys Kuron 825 4074 2050kv
I am pretty sure Corally's and Arrma's motors are both the same Hobbywing motors with different motor cases/colors.
The KV is a point of reference. If you have a 40x74 motor that is 1915 kv getting hot then you know a 2000 kv would only be worse...

The corally 6s setup is perfect for the xtr. If you run a bigger can and esc it will handle poorly and you will need to monkey with the shock set up. Get a max 8 and a 2050kv 4274 or the corally setup, what ever is cheaper. If you like to break more parts then go with the max6 set up...

Max6 combo is a solid option with a great reputation. With that said HW warranty is terrible...
Castle mmx8s with the 1717 motor would be another solid option with better performance, and warranty. Castle is picky about warranty. Most eBay purchases wont qualify. I always purchase direct from Castle just to be sure I am getting the exact parts I want and no warranty concerns for later.
Try max6 combo, it’s good for bashing! But if you don’t have want or replace the esc and go with a good yet cheap motor, buy an SSS 2150kv 4092 motor it’s crazy and runs cooler! A good 40mm fan and you are all set my friend! Buy a genuine 4092 it’s actually very good!

I have tried SSS 5694 1200kv(34t pin) and 4092 2150kv(25t pin) on my Mojave and 4092 is lighter and runs faster! They both don’t heat up that quick!

If thinking to go with an 8s, the max6 with 5687 combo will not heat up and you can hear it up! But this motor will make the rig heavier a bit, around 350 grams more!

If thinking about cheap motor then the surpass 4985 is good too! You will not see that much of a difference bw the surpass 4985 and hw 4985 believe me!

I am pretty sure Corally's and Arrma's motors are both the same Hobbywing motors with different motor cases/colors.
The KV is a point of reference. If you have a 40x74 motor that is 1915 kv getting hot then you know a 2000 kv would only be worse...
I don't think that is the issue.
The stock motors run hot, because they are just barely up to the job.
Get a bigger motor, gear up to the same speed and it won't struggle and it will stay cooler because of lower rpm's. In other words: overpower that rig.

I run my kronos xtr with the max 8 combo 13t pinion and its a total beast on 6s and handles like a dream. I turned my esc up to 7.4 and put a high speed fan on the motor and esc and its been fine (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back