Need advice from my fellow RC brethren...what should I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
So my birthday is coming up and my awesome and amazing wife has given me the go ahead on another RC. I have wanted a Tekno for a while now but wanted to get your all's input on what to buy.

I have a V3 Kraton already...question is, what should I buy next? I have a servo, batteries, RX/TX but will need motor and ESC. Should I get....

1.) Tekno ET48.3 (love this truggy and have wanted one from the get-go but I already have a Kraton...should I buy it anyway?)

2.) Tekno EB48.4 this looks pretty good. I would like a buggy and I appreciate the robustness of this thing and the build quality. I would get it knowing I can truggify it with ET parts down the road if I want and plus it has all the update and is the most recent Tekno configuration. I would wrap it with 2.8 Badlands.

3.) Talion

4.) Typhon

I would most likely get a BLX200 motor and ESC combo for the Tekno's because I hope I can get it cheap.

What would you guys do? I love the Teknos and am thinking the EB48.4 as the one but would like to hear other points of view.

Thanks!

I too would go Tekno EB48.4 if I was you @Mongoose. You've got a truck already in the Arrma Kraton. You're already wanting a Tekno and the EB48.4 not only gives you a different type of RC (buggy) but also allows you to convert it to a truggy pretty easily - 2 in 1 RC's!

Let us know that you end up getting!

That's exactly what I am thinking! It looks like it's built like a tank....it looks awesome.

One of the updates is U-joints....do they usually hold up well in RC's?

Also, so you think the BLX200 would be a good fit for it? What is a good pinion size to start with?

Thanks Woodie.

That's exactly what I am thinking! It looks like it's built like a tank....it looks awesome.

One of the updates is U-joints....do they usually hold up well in RC's?

Also, so you think the BLX200 would be a good fit for it? What is a good pinion size to start with?

Thanks Woodie.
I had an old OFNA buggy that had u-joints on the front, bones on the rear ( I think bones on the rear, been a while) and even though it was really old and seemingly cheap, the ujoints did hold up to the LRP28S3 I put in the thing. Even after throwing diff oil in the center that gave me easy wheelies. I think it was an OFNA ultra lx comp.

That said, I've also bought (at the time seemingly expensive) ujoint cvd's in china for a t-maxx. That did not go well. The joint was fine, but the ears on the bone end ground completely off within 5 tanks. So many years... so many memories...

So, as long as they are made out of decent steel, they should hold up for you.

Thank you Olds. I imagine they will be made from quality steel since it's Tekno.

Their site said they've done extensive testing with them so we will see.

I vote for the EB. Or maybe the MT410, if you feel you will truggi-fy it anyways...

For tires, the only 2.8mm 17mm rim I know of the the Proline F11 2.8 17mm. Same rim used on their Pro MT4. It comes loose (bay and blue your own Badlands) or preglued with MX2.8 or Trenchers.

Power - where are you getting the BLX200 for cheap? local source? I have not seen a cheap BLX200 combo on ebay in a long time. The BLX185 ESC and motor is still pretty available for about $110.

Congrats and have fun!

Well I just spoke to Tekno and they said if I were to buy the buggy and try to truggify it down the road then the cost in parts to do that would be close to price of a kit. All of the updates they did from .3 to .4 will only be noticed on the track and have nothing to do with improving durability.

I asked if they plan to revise the truggy and they said plans are not in the works because the platform is performing great the way it is.

SO, I'm getting the ET48.3. I have been wanting one and I think I will just go this route. I may sell the Kraton to buy a Typhon, or keep it and take the BLX185 off it and switch it to the Tekno.

I don't have a source for the BLX200 but I was thinking they would be a cheaper option because they would be plentiful like the 185 but I guess they aren't. I looked on EBay and couldn't find much.

Now that you say the BLX185 are about $110, it may be better to sell the Kraton as whole and just buy a motor and ESC separate....

About a year ago, you could get the BLX200 combo for cheap - about $100-$120. But when the supply of Nero's dried up, they went away... :( I think I got my BLX200 ESC for $62 and the motor for $55, about 18 months ago.

Just placed my ET48.3 order at Tower with $75 off. Originally the Easy Pay option was 2 months but I assumed it was 3 like it is on all the others. My wife agreed to the price based on 3 months so I called and asked if they would do 3 months for it....they actually changed It on their website for everyone. It is now 3 month Easy Pay versus the 2 months it was before. Should be here next week.

Anyone know if the Hobbywing Max8 ESC and motor fit in the Tekno? Space is kinda tight in there and didn't know if the Max8 ESC was a big one.

IMG_1402.JPG

Got my Backflips in too which will go on this bad boy!

The best tires you can buy for a basher running 6S...from what I hear anyway as I have yet to run them lol they are just sitting on my shelf right now

Buddy of mine is running t-maxx 3.3 tires/wheels on his talion currently with 6s. He was running pro-line badlands, but wanted more cushion than they provided and I had spares of the traxxas 3.3 wheels/tires. He wants to change to pro-line trencher's like I run on my Flux. Pretty sure he will break all sorts of arms and shocks then. He's snapped 3 rear shock shafts since I started running with him 3 weeks ago.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back