Need advice please. Just don't know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*420+3RC*

420+3RC
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
This is the diff pinion gear( please excuse my lack of termanology). Is that in as bad a shape as I feel? What would make them eat up so sharply? I had white lithium grease on outer diff case. Won't do that again. Gunky. Thick af

20210917_010131~2.jpg

20210917_004443.jpg

Looks to me like too tight of mesh between the input pinion and ring gear that's why the teeth are so pointy. Loose mesh will round the teeth off like this👇 so make sure when you install the new one it doesn't bind up and spins pretty smoothly. You want it a little bit tight so the plastic gears wear into each other on the 3s rigs but this was definitely too tight
20210916_220932.jpg

I'd still run it looks now as though it's definitely worn into the ring gear so should last a good while still. Again just make sure when put back together it spins good and not binding up 👍🏼

Exactly what @Edough13 said 👆 the stock mesh for the diffs is usually too tight. I've used shims at the crown gear to push it away from the input gear, so when the yoke is tightened up the gears don't bind

White lithium grease or any other synthetic lithium grease should be fine to use. I use Red & Tacky on both of my 6S and 3S diffs

Thanks guys. So just backing off the yoke screws to free up the mesh? I put a whole new diff in I had. Same pinion gear. So if ive got it free with just a small catchy spot should that wear in a bit due to the funny teeth on pinion ⚙?

Thanks guys. So just backing off the yoke screws to free up the mesh? I put a whole new diff in I had. Same pinion gear. So if ive got it free with just a small catchy spot should that wear in a bit due to the funny teeth on pinion ⚙?
Yes should be fine I'd just take it easy the first few minutes you run it to let that spot wear in and smooth itself out👍🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back