NEED ADVICE! XT90 Needed, but too costly!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afesposi

Reaction score
Hey everyone. The warm welcomes I have gotten on here are nothing short of awesome. Long story short, I got two gensacearespammers 3s 5500 with XT90 connectors as my main batteries to run. I want a second set of back up batteries, preferably 2s, that I can use for my second round of bashing before I pack everything up and go home. I am seeing really good prices on gensacearespammers/SMC and other brands that have 2s, but with XT60 connectors.

SO...I found these XT60 to XT90 adapters and wondered if anyone has used them. Total I can save about 20 bucks if I just get XT60 batteries and buy some adapters for 8 bucks.

What would you do? Just go for the 3s, or get the adapters. I am just really wondering if that is effective/safe to run.

ADAPTERS https://www.amazon.com/SummitLink-P...=xt60+to+xt90&qid=1556728246&s=gateway&sr=8-6

gensacearespammers 2S batteries https://www.amazon.com/Gens-ace-5000mAh-Battery-Airplane/dp/B01JCS7QPC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=2s+lipo+battery+xt60&qid=1556728524&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Thanks in advance everyone!

if you buy SMC then you choose the connector that you want, they solder the correct one for you.

I've become an SMC fanboy lately and also recommend them :D. I have 2 4s for racing and a 6s for bashing, and pretty much everyone at my track uses them as well. Also adapters suck. Try to avoid them if necessary. You're better off soldering connectors on yourself or finding someone to do it for you.

if it was me I'd just put my own xt90s on the battery I want ...but if you cant or don't know how the adapters work but in some cases can cause over heating and just don't want to stay connected.... you can get a soldering iron for pretty cheap it's kinda something I would lean how to do it can be a big advantage being able to just my opinion I guess it takes practice but it's not that hard

I've become an SMC fanboy lately and also recommend them :D. I have 2 4s for racing and a 6s for bashing, and pretty much everyone at my track uses them as well. Also adapters suck. Try to avoid them if necessary. You're better off soldering connectors on yourself or finding someone to do it for you.
I own two 3s, two 4s and one 6s from SMC.

@Afesposi just buy the batteries you want and put on XT90 plugs. I wouldn't use adapters.
idk if he knows how to solder but I mentioned it to him I think just about every one in the electric rc hobby should learn how to ... I couldn't imagine If i didn't i guess things like this is what pushed me to learn myself

idk if he knows how to solder but I mentioned it to him I think just about every one in the electric rc hobby should learn how to ... I couldn't imagine If i didn't i guess things like this is what pushed me to learn myself
Definitely a skill that is helpful to have going forward but if he's new like me there is so much to learn that soldering isn't on the front burner. It's easier to get a friend or LHS to solder for me until I ready/comfortable to solder on my own. I would want to practice first before I solder on a $700+ rig

Definitely a skill that is helpful to have going forward but if he's new like me there is so much to learn that soldering isn't on the front burner. It's easier to get a friend or LHS to solder for me until I ready/comfortable to solder on my own. I would want to practice first before I solder on a $700+ rig
definitely lol I just grabbed two copper wires and went to town lol ... I learned early on but I can say one of my first battery jobs my dumb self tried to snip both batteries wires at the same time!! only a 2 cell but that pop about made me sh** my pants and killed the battery

definitely lol I just grabbed two copper wires and went to town lol ... I learned early on but I can say one of my first battery jobs my dumb self tried to snip both batteries wires at the same time!! only a 2 cell but that pop about made me sh** my pants and killed the battery
Note to self, thanks ?

Note to self, thanks ?
just start with a cheap Amazon or Ebay kit so if you booger it up pretty bad it's not a big loss or get one with replaceable tips they come with some extra goodies youll need and get you some flux .... watch a YouTube video or two and you'll be doing it like a pro .... just know I have a really nice set up and I still melt connectors every now and then lol it happens to the best of us some good solder makes a difference along with the flux and having a good clean soldering iron there are alot of things that can make it easy for you or just a pain in the a** but the beginner kits are cheap enough that if you feel like it's just not something your comfortable with it's all good not a big loss

just start with a cheap Amazon or Ebay kit so if you booger it up pretty bad it's not a big loss or get one with replaceable tips they come with some extra goodies youll need and get you some flux .... watch a YouTube video or two and you'll be doing it like a pro .... just know I have a really nice set up and I still melt connectors every now and then lol it happens to the best of us some good solder makes a difference along with the flux and having a good clean soldering iron there are alot of things that can make it easy for you or just a pain in the a** but the beginner kits are cheap enough that if you feel like it's just not something your comfortable with it's all good not a big loss
Thanks for the advice

Thanks everyone! I'll likely just buy them with the correct connectors and avoid the headache. What's an extra 20 bucks when you've got a Kraton right? Lol

I buy batteries on price and if I need a different connector I just change them out myself. @TraverseCity420 city uses adapters a lot from memory and doesn't have issues. I think you'd need to be close to max rated amp draw for a reasonably continual time for adapters to be much of a problem, but I say that without practical experience as I solder my own

I'll add I USED to use them, depending on who made them they can be really poopy quality and fall apart after a few tugs or they become loose.. there not ideal but they work for the most part.

I ended up cutting most of my trx plugs off and just re-soldered EC5's onto them with the right soldering iron a monkey can do it :D

I would get a soldering iron and learn and in the long run it will pay off. Its not to hard to learn to solder connectors. Then once you have that down it will change your battery game for life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back