Senton Need an ESC for my Senton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
It looks like my Castle Sidewinder 4 has given up the ghost. I was running for all of two minutes yesterday when it just stopped. I was getting the dot dot dash beep pattern which is radio glitch. The fan was changing rpm constantly and then it just stopped. Then the beeping stopped and all I had was a fast flashing red light. I tried another radio and receiver as well as a different battery and it was still a no go. Today I hooked it to my PC and reinstalled the firmware. I was then able to get it to cycle up and the normal startup beeps were back. However the fan still was costantly changing speeds like it was constantly losing momentary power. Nothing worked in the truck, not even the steering servo. I think there is something wrong in the ESC and how it supplies power to the receiver.

I will probably be in the market for a new esc. I only have experience with the BLX185 and Castle escs. I'm not sure I want to spend $100+ for a Mamba X which is what's in my Granite. I also don't want to put another SW4 in there because this one only lasted 3 months. I don't want GoolRC as they can be hit or miss. Can someone recommend some other esc's? It would be paired to a 3800 sensored Castle motor running 2-3s.

@bicketybam I have a Hobbywing MAX10 SCT in my Granite and it works very well.

I think that would be a good solid option. Although you would be running sensorless.

TT

@bicketybam I have a Hobbywing MAX10 SCT in my Granite and it works very well.

I think that would be a good solid option. Although you would be running sensorless.

TT

I have been running sensorless so that isn't a huge deal. I made a list of some possibilities:

Another Sidewinder 4 - while the cheapest, this option is out. The max weight for the SW4 is 6.5 lbs and the BEC is garbage.

Sidewinder 8th - can run 2-6s, 5.5V 8A peak BEC, sensorless. Can run vehicles up to 11 lbs. $102.55. This is an intriguing option. The biggest drawback are the 6.5 mm female bullet connectors. I would need to change my motor leads. And the BEC, while better than the SW4, isn't that great.

Mamba X - I love this ESC in my Granite. It is so adjustable, it datalogs, sensored, BEC is adjustable (5.5/6/7.5 or 8 peak),runs trucks up to 9lbs and can handle 2-6s. I already have the Castle programming card, which is a bonus for all the Castle ESC choices. The biggest negative is the price. At $125 it is more than half the cost of the truck.

HW Max 10 SCT - 2-4s, sensorless, 6V/7.4V 4A BEC, $85. This is the least expensive out of the ESC's I am considering. I would need a programing card so add another $10. From what I understand I could use the card with my BLX ESC's so that is a plus.

It really comes down to whether an extra $30 is worth the sensored operation and added features of the Mamba X. I am really on the fence.

I have a Mamba X in my Proline PRO-MT, your right it is a great esc, but is it worth the cost. If it were me, I'd go Max 10 SCT or the Mamba X for the extra $$, the re-use value of both of those down the road is much higher.

And the MambaX is up to 6s capable and can run larger can motors too, so that could be of value in the future.

TT

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back