Granite Need an Upgrade Opinion from Voltage and Granite 4x4 Owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewiem16

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Going to post this in both sub-forums to try and get as many options as possible to help people decide what to do.

So I own 3 Voltages between my kids and me. They are awesome cars that we run on 2S Lipo but with all the bashing they break, and break often. I’ve already replaced the diff cups on all (switching to metal), differential (on one), shocks, a body post, and a complete radio overhaul on one (tx/rx, servo, esc) including a 550 12T motor.

We just came back from the park hoping to do some mild jumps, but our trip was cut short. One car had the positive lead come off the motor. No big deal, I can solder it. Another car had the rear tire hub get completely stripped out. The third, upgraded car, stripped out the spur gear (and the power was set to 50% on the remote).

I 100% understand that these trucks break, and fixing them is part of the game. Sure I can go get a new set of wheels, but I believe these are smaller hex nuts than other cars in this size (leading them to be more prone to breaking). I can go and get another spur gear for $10, but it’s going to strip out again. Do I go and spend $30 on the metal one instead or go even further and blow $100 on a full metal gear set? What point do I get to on these things where I’m not fearful of replacing something after going out for a run. This this is barely running over stock.

I’m not looking for speed here. We loving running through short grass/dirt and taking small to medium jumps. That’s our jam.

However, I’m getting to the point wondering how much do I dump into it before just going for the Granite (whether it’s the Mega or BLX). I wouldn’t even need to run 3S, as I already have a bunch of 2S batteries anyway.

Bottom line. Is the Granite more durable?

I know I’m not in the only person stuck in this position, and some of you guys have already had to chose.

Help us out! Thanks!

A 3s blx will run practically forever on 2s. If you intend to primarily bash 3s or up it to 4s I'd recommend saving for a 6s rig and grabbing a sale instead.

Bottom line the Granite is absolutely more durable than the voltage. But if you run it to the limits of it's capabilities you're back in the money pitt again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back