Typhon Need help choosing gears!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeachMeCars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Talion
I would like to do some speed runs with the typhon, but I do not know how to choose the right gears. Is the correct size 32p or 0.8 bore? Thinking about starting at 20t for speed runs and 17t for the track. I also take it I should get the adjustable motor mount sold by arrma?

Lastly, should I get a steel slipper set so I don't wear out the stock one? Don't really know too much about the slipper assembly.

I looked and at first thought this was the 6s and was ready to suggest that fine ass motor mount that we've been looking at lately from one of our newer engineers. nonetheless, the motor plate from Arrma or HR is important for pinion options.

Yes it’s 0.8 mod... idk the pitch. You could probably go higher for speed runs if you only plan on doing a quick run or 2 and 17t sounds about right for the track. A steel slipper assembly from Jenny’s would be a good idea as well ?
Thanks for the advice! I'm not too familiar with what pitch is though. I'm assuming that's the p value? I'm not really sure where to buy gears from. It seems like there are kinda limited 0.8 bore gears on amain.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not too familiar with what pitch is though. I'm assuming that's the p value? I'm not really sure where to buy gears from. It seems like there are kinda limited 0.8 bore gears on amain.
Amazon has 5-pack varieties that I swear are really good, and you get 5 for the cost of 1 from the top brands. Just search “32p 5mm bore pinion”. At least you can test a bunch out before you buy a more durable one.

Amazon has 5-pack varieties that I swear are really good, and you get 5 for the cost of 1 from the top brands. Just search “32p 5mm bore pinion”. At least you can test a bunch out before you buy a more durable one.
I like that idea. It's worth a shot just to try like you said.

I'm not seeing the spur slipper assembly on Jenny's. Anyone else got a link? Just seeing the stock one here.

I like that idea. It's worth a shot just to try like you said.

I'm not seeing the spur slipper assembly on Jenny's. Anyone else got a link? Just seeing the stock one here.
4S slippers sells out frequently. Some just buy the steel spur separately and use it on the 3S assembly, but it’s really worth scoping Jenny’s regularly for that extra slipper pad on the 4S as well. I recommend running stock for now until you have issues, it’s not a terrible slipper by any definition, especially when properly adjusted. You can search the forum for tips on how to do that when the time comes as the advice is plentiful.

If you’re going to try to get to 80mph or above, you will hit a ceiling with the 27T pinion as that’s the largest pinion the power module housing will hold. Next step it a smaller spur gear. I have all the way down to a 34T spur now and just waiting for warmer weather to arrive. ??

So how do you decide what gears to get? I see 0.8 or 32p were recommended, but why those values exactly? Do they change if I change the spur gear? Why can't you just use any pinion gear as long as the diameter fits?

Any help is much appreciated :)

So how do you decide what gears to get? I see 0.8 or 32p were recommended, but why those values exactly? Do they change if I change the spur gear? Why can't you just use any pinion gear as long as the diameter fits?

Any help is much appreciated :)
That’s the pitch of the teeth. The stock spur is 0.8mod, so you only want to use pinions with the same pitch. It’s the physical characteristics of the teeth - size, shape, thickness, etc. If you change your spur to say a Mod1 pitch, you’ll want to use Mod1 pinions.

Or you could try mismatching spurs and pinions and post here what happens. Would be a good learning experience. ?

That’s the pitch of the teeth. The stock spur is 0.8mod, so you only want to use pinions with the same pitch. It’s the physical characteristics of the teeth - size, shape, thickness, etc. If you change your spur to say a Mod1 pitch, you’ll want to use Mod1 pinions.

Or you could try mismatching spurs and pinions and post here what happens. Would be a good learning experience. ?
LOL nice try, I will just take your word for it. Guess the pinion gears are kinda limited on the 3s rigs unless you change out the spur too. Might just have to do that.

LOL nice try, I will just take your word for it. Guess the pinion gears are kinda limited on the 3s rigs unless you change out the spur too. Might just have to do that.
Why do you feel it’s limited? There’s just as many 32p/0.8 pinions as any other pitch. I just checked Amazon and you can get anywhere from 9T up to 30T+. Lol.

Like I said earlier just get a couple of those 5-packs that are $15/set. You can get 13T-17T and 17T-21T packs. That’s plenty to start.

Why do you feel it’s limited? There’s just as many 32p/0.8 pinions as any other pitch. I just checked Amazon and you can get anywhere from 9T up to 30T+. Lol.

Like I said earlier just get a couple of those 5-packs that are $15/set. You can get 13T-17T and 17T-21T packs. That’s plenty to start.
Looks like you're right. My memory must have been a little foggy since I was looking last night. Gonna get some now!

In case it may help at all.

Not much, so long as you know how to set your gear mesh and are certain that it will remain as you set it.
Simplified, 48P, 32P, 0.8 mod, and 1.0 mod are measures of gear tooth size and are referenced to one inch or 25.4mm of pitch diameter. They express a ratio, with the P numbers being the numerator (top number) of the fraction and 25.4 being the denominator (bottom number) OR the mod values being the denominator and 25.4 being the numerator. So:
48P/25.4 = 0.5288m
32P/25.4 = 0.7938m
25.4/0.8m = 31.7653P
25.4/1.0m = 25.4P

I have listed them in order of ascending tooth size. Having larger teeth does lend more strength and a certain amount of mesh forgiveness, but it also reduces efficiency.
-------------
"Pitch" is the standard/imperial term. "Module" is the metric term and is calculated slightly differently. Module is the millimetres-of-diameter per tooth, rather than teeth-per-diameter used with Pitch.

0.8-module (sometimes abbreviated to mod-0.8, Module 0.8, or 0.8M) means the tooth is 0.8mm in diameter for each tooth, so a 100-tooth gear would be 80mm in diameter.

With Module, lower numbers (0.6, 0.4) means lower diameter for a given tooth count (finer teeth) and higher numbers (0.8, 1.0) mean larger diameter for a given tooth count (coarser teeth).

Bigger teeth (lower pitch or higher module) are stronger, but noisier and since you have to move in 1-tooth increments when changing gear ratio, the available ratios can't be tuned as finely. Finer teeth are quieter and more finely-adjustable, but aren't as strong.

0.8M and 32P are practically identical in tooth size, and these are the only compatible sizes between metric and standard (in common use with RCs). All other modules/pitches commonly used in RC are not compatible with any other. If you come across a "metric 48P" then it is NOT compatible with a true standard 48P.

Common pitch per vehicle type:
- 1/8th electric and nitro: 1.0M
- 1/10 nitro: 1.0Module or 32P/0.8M
- 1/10 electric 2WD offroad: Usually 48P. High-power brushless conversions often convert to 0.8M/32P to handle the extra torque
- 1/10 electric 4WD offroad: Often 0.8M/32P
- 1/10 electric onroad: Often 48P, but 0.6M for many Tamiya and some others. Sometimes 0.4M or 64P for higher-end cars.
- 1/16 and 1/18: 48P or 0.4M. I'm not so sure about these smaller cars, though.

You can use from an 11T to a 27T with the 57T spur. That’s a heck of a lot of options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back