Outcast Need Help Diagnosing Motor Mount (?) Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAnOutcast

compulsive over-thinker, I think. 🤔
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what’s going on here, but it looks like the motor has started rotating in the mount and the center outdrive is grinding into the backside of the motor. I’ve checked all screws and they “seem” tight. Motor is tight enough that I can’t move it by hand…
What do you see? Recommendations for fixing? Many thanks!

8A8D91E2-C883-4074-988E-66DE77CF6639.jpeg

The motor didn't move the heatsink did though, you can easily slide it back over.

1670965023871.jpeg

1670965034692.jpeg

One of the reasons I didn't like the Hobbywing heatsink I had, it would constantly slide on the motor then hit the center diff outdrive.

Not sure exactly what’s going on here, but it looks like the motor has started rotating in the mount and the center outdrive is grinding into the backside of the motor. I’ve checked all screws and they “seem” tight. Motor is tight enough that I can’t move it by hand…
What do you see? Recommendations for fixing? Many thanks!

View attachment 262480

As slick had stated..
The stock heatsink rotated around the motor can.. just counter rotate it back
If you want to insure it doesn't move ,you could zip-tie it against the center brace.

The motor didn't move the heatsink did though, you can easily slide it back over.
As slick had stated..
The stock heatsink rotated around the motor can.. just counter rotate it back
If you want to insure it doesn't move ,you could zip-tie it against the center brace.

I’ve tried pushing and pulling and the main heat sink (with fan) and the smaller heat sink on the motor’s backside won’t budge. The clip will easily slide left or right but nothing else. Do I need to remove the clip and reposition both parts?

I’ve tried pushing and pulling and the main heat sink (with fan) and the smaller heat sink on the motor’s backside won’t budge. The clip will easily slide left or right but nothing else. Do I need to remove the clip and reposition both parts?
No it should just slide.

That does look easy. I’ve tried both hands and mine seems stuck. I’m gonna drink me a RedBull and give ‘er another try! 💪
Mine is still new yours might have some dirt stuck in it maybe?

Mine is still new yours might have some dirt stuck in it maybe?
RB didn’t work. Even had my wife try and she couldn’t budge it. :oops:
Upon further inspection - the heat sink has rotated around so far that part of it is wedged between the motor and the chassis. Guessing now I’ll need to loosen motor mount screws?

RB didn’t work. Even had my wife try and she couldn’t budge it. :oops:
Upon further inspection - the heat sink has rotated around so far that part of it is wedged between the motor and the chassis. Guessing now I’ll need to loosen motor mount screws?
You can try that, but the screws are known to insta strip even with brand new MIP drivers. Hit them with a butane torch until they are good and hot before you even attempt to loosen them. Other option is to remove the motor mount from the car.

You can try that, but the screws are known to insta strip even with brand new MIP drivers. Hit them with a butane torch until they are good and hot before you even attempt to loosen them. Other option is to remove the motor mount from the car.
I was able to lift up on the motor and rotate the heatsink around to the proper place. Thankfully no heat gun required!

I wonder what caused it to rotate like that? LHS guy thinks it was the small-ish cartwheel that somehow happened 😯 But I don’t see the rotating force being in that direction with a cartwheel.

Any ideas for a permanent fix if it continues to happen? Guess I can try the @Tex Koder zip-tie suggestion.

I wonder what caused it to rotate like that? LHS guy thinks it was the small-ish cartwheel that somehow happened 😯 But I don’t see the rotating force being in that direction with a cartwheel.

Any ideas for a permanent fix if it continues to happen? Guess I can try the @Tex Koder zip-tie suggestion.

Yeah, the zip-tie would be cheap & quick fix.

Only thing I can think of would be a chassis slap or side impact force that would cause the heatsink to rotate in that manner..

Guess I could design another motor-brace/wedge that could prevent such movement...

Even the motor spinning will create vibrations within the car & any weight that is unbalanced will find the bottom. I think it just shimmied down & wedged itself in there

Even the motor spinning will create vibrations within the car & any weight that is unbalanced will find the bottom. I think it just shimmied down & wedged itself in there
This makes sense as it was the first time ever that I pinned the throttle in short grass and held it there for a few hundred yards then slow, turn, repeat…. Was doing this to test motor temps (128F/53C max) with recent Punch and Timing changes. Gotta admit it is thrilling seeing it haul like that, especially when it’s coming toward you. :ROFLMAO:
Guess I could design another motor-brace/wedge that could prevent such movement...
I had wondered about wedging something under the motor and LHS guy suggested it too. I’d thought of something as simple as a nut, or hard rubber washer. Problem I’m having is that in it’s normal position the heat sink is already so close to the chassis I can’t get anything wedged in there. I’m sure you could come up with something, if it keeps happening, I’ll give you a shout.

Last edited:
Are these the screws where once removed, should be replaced with something like the titanium ones @RedondoBeachRC sales?

Unfortunately, I’m sold out at the moment.

Im having more made but it maybe a couple of weeks before they’re finished.

The screw size is M4 x 18mm.. you might be able find a steel option at the local hardware store.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back