Need help on motor purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
So I had a motor malfunction to say the least on my outcast so I plan to swap out motors from my talion sonow I’m in need of a motor for the talion. I don’t do top speed runs but bash pretty hard I still have stock gearing installed but will step up to a 15 or 16 t. Obviously I want more but why do I see people putting in smaller motors than the 2050 stock and they are faster . Please school me there as it will help with motor purchase thanks in advance

What do you mean by smaller motors? If your referring to the kv the lower the better for heat issues. You get lower top speed and more torque but you can up size your pinion to get the same speeds as the stock motor and plus. I’m no expert but if you plan on keeping the stock esc I don’t think there is many options for motors. I’ve used t hobby star motors 2000kv and 1600kv with stock esc and both didn’t last and would over heat.

What do you mean by smaller motors? If your referring to the kv the lower the better for heat issues. You get lower top speed and more torque but you can up size your pinion to get the same speeds as the stock motor and plus. I’m no expert but if you plan on keeping the stock esc I don’t think there is many options for motors. I’ve used t hobby star motors 2000kv and 1600kv with stock esc and both didn’t last and would over heat.
This.

Anything with a lower kv does not mean the motor is smaller. The stock motor size for a talion is 4074. You want to shop for a motor of a 4074 size to 4092 size if you don’t want to do major mods. If it has kv at the end, like “1600kv” that’s not the motor size- that’s the kv value, which is explained by this post I quoted. The motor size starts with “4” in all 8th scale applications, that’s the easiest way to know that you’re looking at the motor size spec.

so using stock spur 50 and stock esc will overheat 2000kv motor running 14-16 pinion? That’s what I’m running and motor does get hot.
Should pinion be 17 and up to keep temps low thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back