Notorious Need help setting up a Notorious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biglurr54

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I tried to set up my new Notorious. It’s a new old stock V1. This is my first hobby grade RC car. I did my best to follow the instructions but they were very difficult to follow. I was able to find a video on how to set up the steering trim and got that set up. I figured out how to set the punch control and the ESC settings. My issue was that the cars throttle would be reversed some of the time and the right way other times. I was able to drive the car around the house. Then if I turned the TX off, the car would go full throttle until I turned the ESC off. I didn’t look at what direction it was going as it was bouncing around and slamming into everything.

After chasing the car around my living room 2 times and leaving rubber marks on the couch, stereo speakers, entertainment stand, and rug, I decided to call it quits for the night and seek your help. I had the car up off the ground during the programming, but the wheel spin knocked it off the stand and it took off! The other time it was on the ground after running around the house safely, and I turned the TX off, then it took off! What settings should I have the car set to.

Here are how I had it set up.
ESC:
1: Lipo
2: Level 5 (I want a little juice)
3: 50% braking
4: Fwd/Brk/Rev
5: Normal (CCw)

Tactic Radio Settings:
Ch1 St= Nor
Ch2 Th= Nor

I did not set my fail safe.

I did a factory reset on the TX and the truck and took the batteries out and put it away!

Rule number 1 of all RC vehicles is never turn off the transmitter while the vehicle is powered on... Always esc off first, then tx... it's common on the tactic for it to take off if powered off before the rx...

when powering on you turn on the transmitter first then the rig...

Fail safe needs to be setup...

Good to know about the tx vs esc powering off/on. I like turning the tx off so I don't bump the throttle when picking the car up, taking the body off, or messing with something, but from now on I will turn the car off first then the tx.
Should the TX throttle switch be set to Normal and not Rev. It came set to Rev but I changed that to normal and the car was acting like it was set to rev.

Pretty easy to set up the failsafe too.

Screenshot_20200214-085412.png

Good to know about the tx vs esc powering off/on. I like turning the tx off so I don't bump the throttle when picking the car up, taking the body off, or messing with something, but from now on I will turn the car off first then the tx.
Should the TX throttle switch be set to Normal and not Rev. It came set to Rev but I changed that to normal and the car was acting like it was set to rev.
typically the throttle calibration should also take care of this - so when you calibrate the throttle on the ESC it learns what should be correct - in most cases this is sufficient and you don't need to reverse throttle at all .. not sure if you have done that

Trust me, we have all been there one time or another.. it will come as second nature to turn the esc off first... and on last..

Once the fail safe is set, it wont take off on you if you accidentally do turn the tx off...

I think what happened here is you calibrated the ESC with the throttle trim not centered. What happens is when the radio is on, it centers the throttle position because the trim dial is where the ESC expects neutral to be. But as soon as you turn off the radio, and the ESC no longer receives that adjusted neutral position, it reverts to the real neutral position, which it perceives as throttle input. And off she goes into your living room objects.

The best way to counter this is to recalibrate the ESC with the throttle trim centered. That way, if you fail to turn off the ESC before the Tx, you won’t have it shoot off either.

As far as REV or NOR, don’t get too hung up on forcing it to NOR. Some ESC and or radios will naturally be in REV to give you the desired direction. There are many ways to counter this, one being that you can swap any two of the motor wires to reverse the direction the motor spins. You already know the other two settings, one in the ESC programming and the other switch on the Tx.

I think what happened here is you calibrated the ESC with the throttle trim not centered. What happens is when the radio is on, it centers the throttle position because the trim dial is where the ESC expects neutral to be. But as soon as you turn off the radio, and the ESC no longer receives that adjusted neutral position, it reverts to the real neutral position, which it perceives as throttle input. And off she goes into your living room objects.

The best way to counter this is to recalibrate the ESC with the throttle trim centered. That way, if you fail to turn off the ESC before the Tx, you won’t have it shoot off either.

As far as REV or NOR, don’t get too hung up on forcing it to NOR. Some ESC and or radios will naturally be in REV to give you the desired direction. There are many ways to counter this, one being that you can swap any two of the motor wires to reverse the direction the motor spins. You already know the other two settings, one in the ESC programming and the other switch on the Tx.

Ok this is where I am getting confused. What do you mean by Centering the Throttle Trim. Is that the Throttle Trim Screw on the TX? Should that be placed in the center and then what should I calibrate in the ESC? I set the throttle trim on the remote all the way down so that it wouldn't keep going when I let off the throttle.

For the direction, I saw a youtue video where a guy doing speed tests with a notorious and something was set backwards at the factory and it only allowed him to do 50% throttle in forward and 100% in reverse. I want to make sure i have it set up right so I can get 100% forward. Ill have to rewatch the video and then see if i understand it better now that I have the truck.

By default the throttle switch on the TTX300 on the top is set to reverse. Set the throttle and steering trim to center then calibrate the transmitter to the esc. There is really no need to even touch the throttle trim knob on an electric car.

Ok this is where I am getting confused. What do you mean by Centering the Throttle Trim. Is that the Throttle Trim Screw on the TX? Should that be placed in the center and then what should I calibrate in the ESC? I set the throttle trim on the remote all the way down so that it wouldn't keep going when I let off the throttle.

For the direction, I saw a youtue video where a guy doing speed tests with a notorious and something was set backwards at the factory and it only allowed him to do 50% throttle in forward and 100% in reverse. I want to make sure i have it set up right so I can get 100% forward. Ill have to rewatch the video and then see if i understand it better now that I have the truck.
Yes you want the throttle trim centered when calibrating. The reason it took off on you was due to you calibrating it to full (Rev or Fwd doesn’t matter).

Is this what you mean by centered trim throttle?
Yes. If you calibrate the ESC now with it centered like that and then move the dial to the left it will start going in reverse on its own and to the right forward on its own. If you calibrate it all the way to the left, then you can only trim forward. If you calibrate all the way right, you can only trim reverse. ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back