Kraton Need help with antenna and range - resolved

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grub/set screws can be obtained (mcmaster.com) with serrated tips to prevent back-out. I don't put RED loctite on anything unless it can be easily heated for removal. Blue (or better yet blue GEL) is plenty good for holding things together between disassemblies. If in doubt, re-torque after one run. Keep in mind who your mechanic is, and decide whether he's gonna be happy you used red thread locker...
Any chance you have a link to those grubs with the tip that dig in? I found them on the site but don't understand what size to order. This is what I find for identifying the grub online, jxs 10/20/14 ir/jxs

The one I posted was a serrated cup point. The one you have in your car already is a plain cup-point.

I took this screen shot from the Robinson pinion I just got. That one uses a 2mm hex to put the 4mm set screw in but I only see a 1.5 option on McMaster site. The size of the hex to put it in doesn't really matter right? Last night I used red loctite on the grub and ran it after work and it still loosened up. Never had this issue on the blx🤷
Screenshot_20211210-194300.png

Looks like you need a 4mm set screw instead of a 3mm. 5mm is good for length unless you run really big pinions.

Looks like you need a 4mm set screw instead of a 3mm. 5mm is good for length unless you run really big pinions.
Yeah, I'm going to place an order for those and probably a few other screws to replace others. Thanks again for the info on the site.

Wow, that site has a very extensive selection of hardware. those anti-vibration threaded screws look like they would be nice for bashing.
16394379971561432243454399262761.jpg
was I suppose to order m4 size? These were to small for the pinion.

Yep, you found the 4mm screw spec for your pinion and mentioned in this tread.

The one I posted was a serrated cup point. The one you have in your car already is a plain cup-point.
Didn't even know those existed. Just ordered 50 to try out.

Never had much issue until the last time I went out with my newly built kraton exb. My pinion loosened up 5-6 times on me. I had thread locked it with blue like normal, should have used orange I guess. That's what I used when I got home, but will start using the knurled tip as well.

Thanks!

When you're chasing the endless battery pack, that's 5-6 times too many. Any way to prevent that is worth giving a shot. The serrated points do their job when torqued down. Vibration can be pretty high at the pinion, so anything short of permanent red glue can still come loose, but these will help.

When you're chasing the endless battery pack, that's 5-6 times too many. Any way to prevent that is worth giving a shot. The serrated points do their job when torqued down. Vibration can be pretty high at the pinion, so anything short of permanent red glue can still come loose, but these will help.
On things I don't want to have to heat up too much, I use orange loctite. It's stronger than blue but not as stubborn as red. That's what I put on it now. I'll use the new knurled grubs as I replace them. After tightening a pinion a couple times, I typically throw away the grub before it strips. Isn't worth the $.50 grub to potentially ruin a $9+ pinion.

On things I don't want to have to heat up too much, I use orange loctite. It's stronger than blue but not as stubborn as red. That's what I put on it now. I'll use the new knurled grubs as I replace them. After tightening a pinion a couple times, I typically throw away the grub before it strips. Isn't worth the $.50 grub to potentially ruin a $9+ pinion.
What is the product number for orange loctite? I'd like to look it up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back