Kraton Need help with pinion size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG*GOBLIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
Ok, so I should have done what a bunch of others have and went with a hobby wing ESC and 1650 motor.
I didn't do that and now I've got the spektrum 1250 with a 23t pinion and it's so much lower on speed compared to my BLX 2050 17t pinion. How high can I go with the pinion on the 1250 to make up for it? Or should I really just look for a higher kv motor? My EXB is running the 160a spektrum ESC. I know Saga makes mod-1 pinions all the up to the 40's, but will something like that work? Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Ok, so I should have done what a bunch of others have and went with a hobby wing ESC and 1650 motor.
I didn't do that and now I've got the spektrum 1250 with a 23t pinion and it's so much lower on speed compared to my BLX 2050 17t pinion. How high can I go with the pinion on the 1250 to make up for it? Or should I really just look for a higher kv motor? My EXB is running the 160a spektrum ESC. I know Saga makes mod-1 pinions all the up to the 40's, but will something like that work? Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Have you considered trying it on 8S?
I was going to suggest this too. I'm assuming this is for a kraton? if on stock tires using a 30t pinion should get you to about 70 mph. Using 8s with your current 23t pinion would get you 73 mph. I'm not sure what's the max pinion size with stock motor mount but I know at least a 24t fits. Can also go to 46t spur for bigger pinions as well.

Multiple ways to tackle this =D

Have you considered try
I was going to suggest this too. I'm assuming this is for a kraton? if on stock tires using a 30t pinion should get you to about 70 mph. Using 8s with your current 23t pinion would get you 73 mph. I'm not sure what's the max pinion size with stock motor mount but I know at least a 24t fits. Can also go to 46t spur for bigger pinions as well.

Multiple ways to tackle this =
Sorry yes for Kraton EXB 6s. PPS motor mount. Ton of m2c parts. Belted badlands. Dual tall fans on 3s lipo. Don't really want to have to use 8s setup. Thanks for your help

Sorry yes for Kraton EXB 6s. PPS motor mount. Ton of m2c parts. Belted badlands. Dual tall fans on 3s lipo. Don't really want to have to use 8s setup. Thanks for your help
Pfft I bet if you toss a 30t on there it won't even get hot. :D

Multiple ways to tackle this =D
I did try to get the 46t spur but I ordered one for a limitless or something else and it didn't fit. I need to order the off-road one.

I did try to get the 46t spur but I ordered one for a limitless or something else and it didn't fit. I need to order the off-road one.
You can get an infraction or felony spur from jennyrc and just drop it in. I have infraction center diff in my talion and it works great.

PXL_20220306_032830405.MP.jpg

Limitless/infraction on the left and stock 6s Kraton on the right. Just not going to work.

View attachment 204632
Limitless/infraction on the left and stock 6s Kraton on the right. Just not going to work.
You need the whole center diff from the infraction or felony. Kraton has exb diffs that use different sized out drives and pins.

I'm gonna see what happens with the 33t one I ordered from Saga-Customs🤷😂
33t won't fit even with 46t spur. I think the max you can do is 30 and even then only 1 screw will fit in the motor mount with a 30t. I think for a 33 you need a better motor mount like pps mount or something similar.

33t won't fit even with 46t spur. I think the max you can do is 30 and even then only 1 screw will fit in the motor mount with a 30t. I think for a 33 you need a better motor mount like pps mount or something similar.
Luckily I do have the PPS mount. I guess we'll see what happens when it arrives.🤞

So with a little trimming of the side skirts the 33t pinion fit in the PPS mount. Unfortunately I wasn't able to really test out the top end speed because it's braking so poorly. With other cars in the parking lot I didn't want to wreck anything. She's still real punchy though.😁

I tested out the 33t pinion today. Running it on slightly damp grass with outside temps of around 50f. Using a dual fan setup credit to Infidel67 and the motor got 🔥 hot. I'll have to try a smaller size and see if the temps drop. The rig is a little heavy too with a m2c chassis and bunch of other parts and belted badlands. On top of that I still can't get it to brake properly. I recalibrated and nothing changed. I've yet to go to a hobby shop for anything since picking up my 2 kratons, but I can't safely run the EXB with such horrible stopping force.

PXL_20220330_222643275.MP.jpg

PXL_20220330_212623815.jpg

I ran 83mph on 4s with 1270kv motor yesterday...43/34 gearing in typhon.pps gos by TTC..means total teeth count of both spur an pinion..must have at least that number for gears to touch..heres 25mm mount an 30mm mount..they are different. I'm not sure which 1 your running for that motor...rc calculator is a must for choosing gears

Screenshot_20210528-000114_Chrome.jpg

Also Robinson racing makes a 40t speed spur gear...the smallest gear that will fit on a diff cup..smallest gear without going to a spool.the Robinson gear is a strong,wide gear..heres a pic of 1 laying in the rubble.😆😅🤣😂

Attachments

• 20211019_175029.jpg
    20211019_175029.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Have you tried upping the braking force via the esc settings?
Yes, I set it to the 100% setting on the ESC along with 100% on the dx5 and it still stops like it's at less than 50%. I have no idea why this is happening. My BLX using the same dx5 brakes really hard and it's using the 150a spektrum ESC.
I ran 83mph on 4s with 1270kv motor yesterday...43/34 gearing in typhon.pps gos by TTC..means total teeth count of both spur an pinion..must have at least that number for gears to touch..heres 25mm mount an 30mm mount..they are different. I'm not sure which 1 your running for that motor...rc calculator is a must for choosing gears

View attachment 209906
Also Robinson racing makes a 40t speed spur gear...the smallest gear that will fit on a diff cup..smallest gear without going to a spool.the Robinson gear is a strong,wide gear..heres a pic of 1 laying in the rubble.😆😅🤣😂
I'll have to measure it later, but the TTC is 84. 50t spur and 33t pinion. That combo got almost to hot to touch.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back