Mojave Need help with rounded allen bolts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC newbie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
Hi There!

its my first post ever about R/c car. Im new owner of my first car- Mojave.
And of course got first crash and obviously broke first part. Replaced part but being a bit silly, used power tool to screw and guess what happened, I have rounded my allen bolts.
Had to figure out how to get those screws out and found solution, of course I had to buy some more tools get those damn screws out within 5 minutes.
So these are the necessary items:
1. Dremel rotary tool (any of them will do)
2. Dremel ENGRAVING CUTTER 0,8 MM (108)

So there will be some pictures of victory!
20200706_172702.jpg
20200706_172908.jpg
20200706_172934.jpg
20200706_173028.jpg
20200706_173257.jpg

A Dremel cutoff disk will make easier work. Just slice a clean slot across the head to use a flathead screwdriver on it. But you got the idea anyway. Good luck. Use quality Allen/hex hand drivers to prevent stripping. Power drivers only for removing fasteners, but with quality well hardened driver tips. Think about MIP.

yeah, i had idea about using disks but screw head was lower than surface itself, in this case it was chassis I could damage with disk.

Hi There!

its my first post ever about R/c car. Im new owner of my first car- Mojave.
And of course got first crash and obviously broke first part. Replaced part but being a bit silly, used power tool to screw and guess what happened, I have rounded my allen bolts.
Had to figure out how to get those screws out and found solution, of course I had to buy some more tools get those damn screws out within 5 minutes.
So these are the necessary items:
1. Dremel rotary tool (any of them will do)
2. Dremel ENGRAVING CUTTER 0,8 MM (108)

So there will be some pictures of victory!
View attachment 88416View attachment 88417View attachment 88418View attachment 88419View attachment 88420
There is some german screws you can get for the Kraton 6s I'm not sure if they offer a kit for the Mojave, but they come in 3 kinds stainless(junk) hex head (allan key also junk) or 6 lobe (torx). I bought a set of the 6 lobe for my Kraton and have never looked back. I hate the easy strip hex heads even with expensive tools they still can strip. The 6 lobes can still strip but have a less of a chance and out of all the screws on my car I only had one strip and it was cuz I was trying to cheat and use a smaller bit. HERES THE MOJAVE KIT https://rc-schrauben.de/Screw-kit-for-the-ARRMA-Fury-Mojave

As SrC suggested, get a set of MIP hex wrenches (mostly need the 2.0 and 2.5mm) and this sort of thing will be a distant memory.
It has been a long time since I have stripped hexes on my Arrmas

I understand its hard to justify the price of a set of MIP had drivers and driver tips. But not until you own a set, you wont understand it or justify the cost. There are many cheap tools that appear good. I have them too. No comparison.

FWIW I picked up a few Wera Hex+ tools from Amazon, they work great and are cheaper than MIP. Wera is pretty well trusted in regards to hand tools.

Lets face it, most tools cost less than MIP. Germany makes nice tools. Always did. Wera has been around. Never felt they were actually cheaper than MIP for drivers though.

There is some german screws you can get for the Kraton 6s I'm not sure if they offer a kit for the Mojave, but they come in 3 kinds stainless(junk) hex head (allan key also junk) or 6 lobe (torx). I bought a set of the 6 lobe for my Kraton and have never looked back. I hate the easy strip hex heads even with expensive tools they still can strip. The 6 lobes can still strip but have a less of a chance and out of all the screws on my car I only had one strip and it was cuz I was trying to cheat and use a smaller bit. HERES THE MOJAVE KIT https://rc-schrauben.de/Screw-kit-for-the-ARRMA-Fury-Mojave
Nice, thanks!
Tanks for many advises, will keep those in mind, as I will need a lot to upgrade.

Nice, thanks!
Tanks for many advises, will keep those in mind, as I will need a lot to upgrade.
Np that's what we are here for. The screw set is a bit pricey but is totally worth it imo. Not only does it come with every screw you need they toss in a ton extra, includes set screws too. The MIP hex driver set is great too I just hate hex heads and use torx all day at work so it was an easy choice.

Np that's what we are here for. The screw set is a bit pricey but is totally worth it imo. Not only does it come with every screw you need they toss in a ton extra, includes set screws too. The MIP hex driver set is great too I just hate hex heads and use torx all day at work so it was an easy choice.
Yeah, it's easier to make mistake with hex, especially when you need to undo arrma screw.

Yeah, it's easier to make mistake with hex, especially when you need to undo arrma screw.
Horizons factories aren't the best for their assembly skills, they like to tighten the crap out of their screws load them with locktite and are known for stripping the hex heads round. I know cuz one of my difs came with 3 badly rounded screws that I had to cut a slot in to remove. I got them to send me a new dif for it.

oh yea, we've all been their ??‍♂️ nice hob extracting those buggers ??
My german screw kit is top notch, germans make the best everything lol
Oh yea, especially when it comes to anything regarding metal. Those guys got the steal game on lockdown ??

I use a screw extractor like this. It has a left handed drill bit on one end and a screw extractor on the other . So far there hasn't been a screw that I couldn't remove.

Attachments

• IMG_20190502_133516_resized_20190502_013545353.jpg
    IMG_20190502_133516_resized_20190502_013545353.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 40
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back