Need help with setting pinion and spur mesh clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davmbar

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
I tried the trick i found online about putting a piece of lined paper between the pinion and spur gear to give the proper clearance. It doesn't look better than it was b4. I already damaged the spur gear once and i don't want to do it again. Does the clearance look correct? Thanks

Attachments

• 20180625_221239.jpg
    20180625_221239.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 873
Looks way loose from here. Rotate the spur so one tooth on the pinion is directly in line with an imaginary line drawn thru the pinion and spur shafts. Loosen the motor just enough to move it when tapped with a small screwdriver handle (or something similar) adjust for a slight click when you gently rock the spur back and forth. Don't rock it hard enough to rotate the pinion. Just enough to indicate the play. Tighten the motor back up to almost tight and re check. Sometimes they move when tightening. If it is still good rotate the spur to a couple of different places and check play at each one until you have turned it a full turn. If it is not too tight in any position put the final tighten on it and you should be good to go.

Yep, that's too loose. Do what @2fast4u suggests. You can move the motor until there is zero play when you rock the spur back and forth, then back it off a hair and check it for a "tick" of play when you rock the spur. Make sure you rotate the spur 1/4 turn at a time, then rock it to check for play until you work your way all the way around. Spurs/pinions can sometimes have high spots, and you want to find a happy medium so it's not too tight on the high spot and too loose on the low.

I tried the trick i found online about putting a piece of lined paper between the pinion and spur gear to give the proper clearance. It doesn't look better than it was b4. I already damaged the spur gear once and i don't want to do it again. Does the clearance look correct? Thanks
I agree with 2fast4u, your pinion gear mesh does look too loose, but always difficult pics to know for sure. The paper trick (1 sheet of lined paper) does not work on MOD1 pinions, but heard if you use 2 sheets of notebook paper, it works (but must be correct thickness paper). I've also heard on Mod1 pinions, if you use a pinion gear that is 2 sizes larger, install it & adjust mesh so it is very tight, remove "test" pinion, then put in the pinion you will actually use, you will have perfect mesh, but again, this could be just another old wife's tale to keep us away from this great hobby...LOL

However, 2fast4u & olds97-lss are both correct, it is best to set pinion/spur gear mesh by feel (just a bit of play where the spur gear can move a bit). Here's a Arrma TV video on how to adjust pinion/spur gear mesh:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/tv/channel/typhon/v74TZhMcW3k

Last edited:
Yep, way too loose. Another way to set the gear mesh is leaving just the smallest amount of wiggle at the tightest area of the gear. The gears doesn't usually run perfectly true so as you rotate the gears you will find a tight spot, this tight spot should have the smallest amount of play. The play will then increase at other parts of the gears but no where near the play shown in your picture.

Also, the paper trick only works with really thin notebook paper and it should be pressed in between the gears to get the right gear mesh. As you rotate the gears, the paper should come out like an accordion.

Best regards,
Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back