Kraton Need More Air Control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesbea

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Outcast 6s
I have an EXB that I put the stock V5 ESC/motor combo in with a 15 tooth pinion. When jumping I have a hard time getting it to backflip or even getting it back to level (when using throttle). It feels as if I run out of wheel speed to get the inertia I need for proper rotation.

Any tips on what I could do? I don't know if a different pinion would help or if a motor change is needed. I do not want to change my ESC out.

Thanks

A bigger pinion (depending on motor temps) will help. Heavier tires (again motor temps) will also help.

Watch some videos on technique too. There is a bit of finesse to it. A nice big curved ramp helps too.
Appreciate the help, any recommendation on pinion size?

Appreciate the help, any recommendation on pinion size?

I run a 15T on my heavier than RTR Kraton (M2C bits) and the motor seems to stay under 180F if ambient temps is less than 90F. I also have dual 30mm fans cooling my motor at the moment. I am also running the 4s Backflip LP tires and that helps reduce temps by like 20F.

I do bash hard though, lots of full throttle dirt/street mix, not just jumping it. Just jumping you can get away with bigger pinions. It's a matter of checking temps with your setup and seeing what your thermal limits allow.

Thicker center oil (I run about 300K) is also helpful with a snappier response.

Bigger pinion is the easiest way, but you’re going to run hotter doing so. Make sure you add some cooling to the motor. Be prepared to take breaks when the ESC thermals too. A better ESC/Motor would be more capable and run without the added heat.

I run 200k centre diff. stock blx motor and esc 14t pinion fully m2ced kraton 6s. backflips pretty easy but need some decent air

Hmm that's odd... What center diff fluid you run? I have a beast M2C K6s and when i ran a 15t pinion it flipped on command like nothing. I run 500k center diff and stock tires also so not sure why your not getting the same result? Now if your at full throttle already leaving the ramp its a bit harder as wheel speed is already pretty much maxed out but if not that thing should pull doubles all day like mine no problem.

I run a 15T on my heavier than RTR Kraton (M2C bits) and the motor seems to stay under 180F if ambient temps is less than 90F. I also have dual 30mm fans cooling my motor at the moment. I am also running the 4s Backflip LP tires and that helps reduce temps by like 20F.

I do bash hard though, lots of full throttle dirt/street mix, not just jumping it. Just jumping you can get away with bigger pinions. It's a matter of checking temps with your setup and seeing what your thermal limits allow.

Thicker center oil (I run about 300K) is also helpful with a snappier response.
That is a maximum effect LSD diff in tbe center of the Kraton EXB so it’s roughly 5x the effective fluid weight. Put 100k in the LSD diff and it will act like 500k.

My son had the same issue and it’s just gearing. 18t should do it.

That is a maximum effect LSD diff in tbe center of the Kraton EXB so it’s roughly 5x the effective fluid weight. Put 100k in the LSD diff and it will act like 500k.

My son had the same issue and it’s just gearing. 18t should do it.

Great point, I forgot he was running EXB diffs. My bad!

Here's some video running exact same setup 2050kv 15/50 gearing and with m2c chassis. You'll notice also I'm just feathering the throttle on almost all the flips as it has plenty or air control

My rtr V5 has no issues doing flips on stock electronic on 14t pinion punch setting on 5. Im running 60k,500k,30k on my diff. You have an EXB so stock diff fluids should be good. Try doing a throttle calibration. So your esc and motor gets the full range.

Your ramp contributes to that for sure.
Very little honestly, I can pull a backflip no problem off one of the small maybe 18-20" high rounded dirt jumps on my track, you'll notice in the intro to my video at about 12 sec. In 👍 also as I said I'm feathering the throttle off the ramp. If I don't gas it off my ramp it actually throws me to a front flip so definitely not what's causing me to backflip so easy it's the gearing, tires and 500k center diff fluid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back