Typhon Need some help fixing an old typhon mega 550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0den

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
My son's friend gave him a broken Typhon mega 550 home. I always wanted an RC car, and I love building things... I've been fixing/rebuilding it the care. After buying batteries and charger, installing a new servo, motor, ESC, and "machining" a new grub screw for the pinion gear. I got it running pretty well.

I have a couple of questions that I had trouble finding the answers to. I would love some help... so here they go:

1) The front right tire is not aligned. Everything I read talked about turnbuckles, but the links don't have any adjustment, I don't see anything bent or broken, is there a way to fix this, or do I need different links? What should I be looking for?

D83282F2-B602-40AF-80BF-1EFAA1EE7616.jpeg
E284B4C9-AEB6-4FB0-8AA4-7755893FFDFD.jpeg
59E40905-D87F-4F64-9811-1C4C95347CCA.jpeg

2) I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on the motor/esc. If I went with the BLX motor and ESC, I believe I would need a new slipper clutch, motor mount, and pinions (about $160 at Jenny's RC). I decider to order a Hobbywing Max10-3652SL-3300KV so I wouldn't have to change everything up (i.e keeping the stock 91t spur gear and slipper clutch). I am starting to second guess my decision. What Would be the advantage of going with the components from Jenny's? Would I need to make other changes to support the larger motor? Is there another combo that people would suggest?
3) Just curious, I see a ton of after market parts for other companies, but not so many for Arrma (for example slipper clutches and spur gears). Why is this, or am I misreading the situation?

Thanks so much! This is a ton of fun!

My son's friend gave him a broken Typhon mega 550 home. I always wanted an RC car, and I love building things... I've been fixing/rebuilding it the care. After buying batteries and charger, installing a new servo, motor, ESC, and "machining" a new grub screw for the pinion gear. I got it running pretty well.

I have a couple of questions that I had trouble finding the answers to. I would love some help... so here they go:

1) The front right tire is not aligned. Everything I read talked about turnbuckles, but the links don't have any adjustment, I don't see anything bent or broken, is there a way to fix this, or do I need different links? What should I be looking for?

View attachment 173810View attachment 173811View attachment 173812

2) I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on the motor/esc. If I went with the BLX motor and ESC, I believe I would need a new slipper clutch, motor mount, and pinions (about $160 at Jenny's RC). I decider to order a Hobbywing Max10-3652SL-3300KV so I wouldn't have to change everything up (i.e keeping the stock 91t spur gear and slipper clutch). I am starting to second guess my decision. What Would be the advantage of going with the components from Jenny's? Would I need to make other changes to support the larger motor? Is there another combo that people would suggest?
3) Just curious, I see a ton of after market parts for other companies, but not so many for Arrma (for example slipper clutches and spur gears). Why is this, or am I misreading the situation?

Thanks so much! This is a ton of fun!
1) Nothings wrong, just a very large amount of toe. I have the same car converted to brushless. Yes, the toe seems like too much, but handles fine for me. You can buy the BLX turn buckles and camber links from jennys, so they are adjustable, then you can put it to your liking.

2)The BLX teeth on the spur gear and pinion are larger and stronger, so they won't strip as easily with 3s brushless. The slipper clutch is a better design. You will want a metal motor mount for the heavier brushless motor.

3)You can get a lot of upgrades. Hot racing makes a lot of driveline upgrades, and Arrma also makes driveline upgrades. Hot racing, GPM, and Integy make lots of misc aluminum upgrades.

When you start breaking parts, and you want to upgrade, hit me up and I can get you direct links.

Last edited:
Were you gifted a V3 Typhon Mega or earlier version? The V3 adopted some of the stronger gears of the 3S BLX line - knowing which version you have (and if you still have the stock parts) goes a long way to making power plant recommendations.

The toe out is normal. If it is just the right tire that is off, you need to center your steering horn. Pull it off of the servo, turn the radio and car on with the steering trim set at 0, center the tires, and reattach the horn. That will get it as centered as mechanically possible; use the steering trim on the radio to get it perfect.

Were you gifted a V3 Typhon Mega or earlier version? The V3 adopted some of the stronger gears of the 3S BLX line - knowing which version you have (and if you still have the stock parts) goes a long way to making power plant recommendations.
Thanks. How can I tell which version I have? The only marking I can find is the serial number:ATBG20040868.
Thanks!

Thanks. How can I tell which version I have? The only marking I can find is the serial number:ATBG20040868.
Thanks!
The pull tab on the motor module would have 1 round end if v2 or older and v3 has two round ends to grip onto.

ALL you can do with the ST question you have, is center the ST Trim better. You will have some undue Toe-Out, but this is par with that Mega setup.
By the time you are done, you will have easily paid what a New 3s 4x4 BLX would cost. IMHO. You might end up with a money pit there. Even considering the rig was a "Give Me". Free that it was.
Hey Have fun in the process at least. Hard to put a price on Fun.(y)

Thanks to @pug, it is either V1 or V2, it only has one round end.

So… what is the bare minimum upgrade to the drivetrain and motor, or will the max10 setup I have (3652 and 60A esc) serve me well?

BLX slipper/spur/pinion and motor mount. If it is the older version, the diff input shaft will be black plastic, if it is the newer version, it will be silver metal. If it is plastic, it will break quick with brushless power, so upgrade to BLX diffs and inputs. If it is metal, you are good to go.

BLX slipper/spur/pinion and motor mount. If it is the older version, the diff input shaft will be black plastic, if it is the newer version, it will be silver metal. If it is plastic, it will break quick with brushless power, so upgrade to BLX diffs and inputs. If it is metal, you are good to go.
Plastic diff input shaft :(

Is there a better motor/esc for the price of the BLX motor and esc at Jenny’s? What size pinion should I start with?

With the current setup and a 2s battery, I have it clocked at 19.5 mph, and I might have (I.E I totally) broke my gps bike computer when I put it in the car to get the speed, and crashed. I should add that to the cost!

Thanks again for all the help. Honestly, it might be about the same price to buy a 3s, but this is way more fun!

Plastic diff input shaft :(

Is there a better motor/esc for the price of the BLX motor and esc at Jenny’s? What size pinion should I start with?

With the current setup and a 2s battery, I have it clocked at 19.5 mph, and I might have (I.E I totally) broke my gps bike computer when I put it in the car to get the speed, and crashed. I should add that to the cost!

Thanks again for all the help. Honestly, it might be about the same price to buy a 3s, but this is way more fun!
Right there…’but this is way more fun!’ You are on track to have a blast with this hobby man. I started out with a mega granite and converted it to brushless using all stock parts off of Jenny’s. Initially I was completely intimidated by the most basic thing and now can pull it apart and put it back together with little thought and effort.

I probably spend 75% of the time working on my cars and only 25% of the time driving but that totally does it for me. It’s relaxing and eases my anxiety.

I now also have a Typhoon (mine), a Big Rock (wife’s) and Vorteks (daughters) as well as three voltages that I’ve upgraded here and there for the other kids and guests to play with.

But my original mega conversion is my go to car. I love that car.

Right there…’but this is way more fun!’ You are on track to have a blast with this hobby man. I started out with a mega granite and converted it to brushless using all stock parts off of Jenny’s. Initially I was completely intimidated by the most basic thing and now can pull it apart and put it back together with little thought and effort.

I probably spend 75% of the time working on my cars and only 25% of the time driving but that totally does it for me. It’s relaxing and eases my anxiety.

I now also have a Typhoon (mine), a Big Rock (wife’s) and Vorteks (daughters) as well as three voltages that I’ve upgraded here and there for the other kids and guests to play with.

But my original mega conversion is my go to car. I love that car.
Yup! I love building things, and learning new stuff. Case in point, the control board of my oven broke, couldn’t get a replacement. I learned to solder, how transistors work, jerry rigged the worn out ribbon cable, and got the damn thing working… well for a a few weeks.

With this RC thing, I already had to make my own grub screw, learn about ESCs, servos, brushless motors, center differentials, slipper clutches, and lipo batteries… And the community is awesome! My kind of hobby!

Yup! I love building things, and learning new stuff. Case in point, the control board of my oven broke, couldn’t get a replacement. I learned to solder, how transistors work, jerry rigged the worn out ribbon cable, and got the damn thing working… well for a a few weeks.

With this RC thing, I already had to make my own grub screw, learn about ESCs, servos, brushless motors, center differentials, slipper clutches, and lipo batteries… And the community is awesome! My kind of hobby!
Nice!! I went through all that as well.

Yeah, our washing machine just broke. I figured I could fix it… then realized I don’t like working on washing machines 🤣

Yeah, our washing machine just broke. I figured I could fix it… then realized I don’t like working on washing machines 🤣
Funny story, just moved, from a house with a broken oven to a house with a broken oven. A week into living in our new digs, the washing machine broke! In my next life I’ll become the Maytag repairman!

A7F6CCF0-F9EA-4015-8F65-6A5656A88099.jpeg

Out of curiosity, can the center diff from the 6s be installed in a mega?

Thanks!

Funny you mentioned washing machines. :LOL:
My better half is great at destroying any mechanical device and has grown accustomed to me fixing everything here. If I didn't I would be literally Broke. Not lying.
I am on my second $1400 LG washer and $800. Dryer. The warranty was expired. So I replaced the Pump 3 times.
I had to move the machine out side to take it all apart. To get to the pump, it is buried deep inside. Repair service Co. wanted over $400. to do it. The pump is only $85. The rest is labor. I spent the whole day and the whole machine was in parts all over my patio and yard. I even followed a Repair video to get me strarted the first time I did it. There were no short cuts. Every single panel , drum etc has to come off. What a joke.
I did this 3 times in 7 years. Never again. Hours to do it. A whole day. Dirty job also. I cleaned the drum liner while I was in there. What a mess those Front Loader clothes washers are. The last pump I had to do, I gave up and spent another $1200. on a new LG washer.:(
And wifey was mad that I didn't get the top end model again with features that she never even new how to use on the first washer. I told her to start going to a laundromat next time this happens.
I heard recently that house appliances have gone up 100% in price. Rediculous.:cry:

My better half is great at destroying any mechanical device and has grown accustomed to me fixing everything here. If I didn't I would be literally Broke. Not lying.
I am on my second $1400 LG washer and $800. Dryer. The warranty was expired. So I replaced the Pump 3 times.
I had to move the machine out side to take it all apart. To get to the pump, it is buried deep inside. Repair service Co. wanted over $400. to do it. The pump is only $85. The rest is labor. I spent the whole day and the whole machine was in parts all over my patio and yard. I even followed a Repair video to get me strarted the first time I did it. There were no short cuts. Every single panel , drum etc has to come off. What a joke.
I did this 3 times in 7 years. Never again. Hours to do it. A whole day. Dirty job also. I cleaned the drum liner while I was in there. What a mess those Front Loader clothes washers are. The last pump I had to do, I gave up and spent another $1200. on a new LG washer.:(
And wifey was mad that I didn't get the top end model again with features that she never even new how to use on the first washer. I told her to start going to a laundromat next time this happens.
I heard recently that house appliances have gone up 100% in price. Rediculous.:cry:
Wow, my washer isn’t near so complex. But to work on it would hurt my neck like hell and Id rather save my pain for playing with the kid, working on rc cars and so many things. Well, obviously I was saving it for playing with the kid yesterday…😂

View attachment 174091

Wow, my washer isn’t near so complex. But to work on it would hurt my fused neck like hell and I’d rather save my pain threshold for playing with the kid, working on rc cars and pretty much anything else.

Obviously, this time, it was for playing with the kid yesterday…

47476CED-EA5A-4D14-BDAC-9B44D949A6B5.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back