Notorious Need Some Notorious Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleyflyer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
I had a really fun bash session today with my Notorious....but now I need some upgrades because I broke a couple of things. ;) I am still new so I would like some suggestions on what are the best upgraded shocks that I could get. I broke one of the bottom attach points on a rear shock. I would like to get a really good new set. Also, I bent the mount that the wing mount sits on...I would like to get a much better one of those.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rod ends are dirt cheap- I don't recommend upgrading to a more expensive break if you get my drift. Wing mounts are supposed to bend a few times before they break. If they didn't, you'd be breaking diff housings instead. In my opinion, the truck did its job. Grab some extra ends (tekno are an upgrade) and bash on

I’d get new front bumper . I broke 3 stock ones before getting a Tbone and without the front bumper he hinge pins fall out . The wing mount is designed to be a break point and the chap above said . I’ve broke 2 and now just run the wheelie bar . 25kg servo was my favourite upgrade. Made the steering much much more responsive.

Hey!

common recommendations tend to include an aluminium servo mount, hot racing have them (I’ve done this on my other 6s too)

I’ve busted the shock ends a couple of times now, I’m learning to accept it ? and have a few as back up I’ve also upgraded to steel shock balls for the arms (AR330206) the stock plastic composite ones seemed too loose and these seemed a bit more solid. Happy to be told otherwise! I’m still figuring it all out

I’ve given up on the stock wing mount and gone for tbone racing, and got the wheelie rear bumper from them too cos I got tired of snapping the stock wheeliebar, haven’t had a chance to break them as the weathers not been great but hopefully they’ll pay off otherwise off to RPM I go. One warning, keep an eye on the screws going into the school tower from the wing mounts, I’ve broken both and they’ve snapped off and now stuck in the tower- replacement on the way ...

I did get the tbone tower to tower brace on a whim, haven’t got round to installing it as heard mixed reviews on those effectiveness - again happy to be advised, plus not sure how easy it is to remove the existing brace

Hope it helps (check out my vids to see what antics have led to these upgrades)
I’d get new front bumper . I broke 3 stock ones before getting a Tbone and without the front bumper he hinge pins fall out . The wing mount is designed to be a break point and the chap above said . I’ve broke 2 and now just run the wheelie bar . 25kg servo was my favourite upgrade. Made the steering much much more responsive.
Servo itself is next

I’ve got the speed pinion in now as well - joy ? but great bashing on both 4s and 6s now

Hey!

common recommendations tend to include an aluminium servo mount, hot racing have them (I’ve done this on my other 6s too)

I’ve busted the shock ends a couple of times now, I’m learning to accept it ? and have a few as back up I’ve also upgraded to steel shock balls for the arms (AR330206) the stock plastic composite ones seemed too loose and these seemed a bit more solid. Happy to be told otherwise! I’m still figuring it all out

I’ve given up on the stock wing mount and gone for tbone racing, and got the wheelie rear bumper from them too cos I got tired of snapping the stock wheeliebar, haven’t had a chance to break them as the weathers not been great but hopefully they’ll pay off otherwise off to RPM I go. One warning, keep an eye on the screws going into the school tower from the wing mounts, I’ve broken both and they’ve snapped off and now stuck in the tower- replacement on the way ...

I did get the tbone tower to tower brace on a whim, haven’t got round to installing it as heard mixed reviews on those effectiveness - again happy to be advised, plus not sure how easy it is to remove the existing brace

Servo itself is next

I’ve got the speed pinion in now as well - joy ? but great bashing on both 4s and 6s now
I put a max 6 combo in mine today with a 22t pinion ?probs going to break it tomorrow ?

Tried and tested/trusted servo recommendations for the notorious? 25kg I reckon.... will probably also upgrade my typhon 6s with the same probably unless anyone thinks otherwise

Tried and tested/trusted servo recommendations for the notorious? 25kg I reckon.... will probably also upgrade my typhon 6s with the same probably unless anyone thinks otherwise
25kg was my choice and do not regret it . One of my favourite upgrades to the truck, made a world of difference. Had to set the end points to 70% or it stars knocking on esc and trying to punch through the mud guard

Get the Arrma HD shock rod ends. They sometimes are called Nero ends.

I broke the same thing yesterday. Ok, I hit a metal pole with only the right front wheel at about 50 kph. Anyway - LHS didn't have the stock or HD Arrma ones available so I got a set of Traxxas ends and pressed the plastic ball piece out of the stock one and into the traxxas end. It's heavier duty and fit well.

I'll order a couple sets of the stock ones or maybe the HD ones. I like having a cheap break point that I can have spares ready for.

Hey!

Servo itself is next

I've noticed if you upgrade beyond the stock wing mount you may run into issues when/if you upgrade the shock towers. M2C and JBI towers have smaller openings in the middle to up the beefcake factor so the bigger tbone/rpm mounts won't fit through. I ran into that problem on my typhon and notorious so I run the stock one on all my rigs but my street typhon that is still on it's stock towers.

I had a really fun bash session today with my Notorious....but now I need some upgrades because I broke a couple of things. ;) I am still new so I would like some suggestions on what are the best upgraded shocks that I could get. I broke one of the bottom attach points on a rear shock. I would like to get a really good new set. Also, I bent the mount that the wing mount sits on...I would like to get a much better one of those.

Keep it simple, replace the shock ends with plastic (stock d fine), better those break than something important ;)

Install an RMP bumper and wheelie bar in the back. Outcast bumper and RPM bumper in the front, have had some serious hits on this combo and it's very strong. Also, put stainless steel skid plates on top of all that...slammed into a tree yesterday and the only damage was to the light bar I'd literally just mounted ;)

20200808_143205.jpg

20200810_190444.jpg

20200810_180458.jpg

I need to get some skid plates ordered. The gravel, rocks and dirt here are pretty rough. I’ve already got it pretty marked up after half a dozen bash sessions.

I like the idea of a clean looking stock bumper with another in front of it. Can you show me how you mounted both? The EXB bumper looks excellent I was wondering if I could put one of those on.

B8D4F90A-3607-4A6B-864E-D3E5ACEFD473.jpeg

I need to get some skid plates ordered. The gravel, rocks and dirt here are pretty rough. I’ve already got it pretty marked up after half a dozen bash sessions.

I like the idea of a clean looking stock bumper with another in front of it. Can you show me how you mounted both? The EXB bumper looks excellent I was wondering if I could put one of those on.

View attachment 94714
It's basically a bumper skid plate sandwich. I didn't take anything off. I added the RPM bumper on top of the existing stock "bumper" that has the outcasts bumpers attached to it (fits in the stock bumper like it was meant to be there). Had to dremel the ridgesboff the RPM bumper to allow for the stainless skid plate to fit flat against the RPM bumpers skid plate.

20200816_082130.jpg

20200816_081759.jpg

20200816_082347.jpg

20200816_082854.jpg

Did the same on the rear minus the outcast bumper which I am looking to see if the stock front bumper will fit the rear soni can do the same in the rear but here's what that looks like right now:

20200816_083033.jpg

Interesting, thank you. Did you need longer screws?
The RPM bumper came with 16mm which you'll use two.of to replace the 14mm screws in the front bumper. I had to get some crappy screws too because I needed two 18mm screws to replace the very front two 16mm screws but all I could find were these garbage "alloy" screws that are 20mm. Anyhow, you can see the two 20mm screws on the very front, they are silver in color (and will be replaced with steel asap), and Fahey fit perfect through all that plastic and metal. Then going back change the two 14mm for at least a16mm screw, the back is 16mm all around, seems to work fine ;)

EDIT:

Here's the stuff I got:
Skid plates:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EILWUYA?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
RPM bumper:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XK72XSH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Outcast bumper:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06W9NSZ4G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Wheelie bar:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01NC24EDQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Last edited:

All you need to make a Notorious bullet proof, is everything. The number 1 and 2 on the list are a new chassis and chassis braces. It used to be that you could only buy these in the aftermarket from companies like Custom Rc Upgrades, M2C, GKA, Voltage Hobbies, Just Bash It Rc, Hot Racing etc. Now there is the EXB line from Arrma, which means you can order upgrade parts right from your local hobby store. Once you get the chassis and braces out of the way, towers and servo mount next. A new EXB front bumper or one from RPM is a great add on. Even shock standoffs can be upgraded through Arrma or M2C. So the question is, what's your budget and how far do you want to send your Noto?

All you need to make a Notorious bullet proof, is everything. The number 1 and 2 on the list are a new chassis and chassis braces. It used to be that you could only buy these in the aftermarket from companies like Custom Rc Upgrades, M2C, GKA, Voltage Hobbies, Just Bash It Rc, Hot Racing etc. Now there is the EXB line from Arrma, which means you can order upgrade parts right from your local hobby store. Once you get the chassis and braces out of the way, towers and servo mount next. A new EXB front bumper or one from RPM is a great add on. Even shock standoffs can be upgraded through Arrma or M2C. So the question is, what's your budget and how far do you want to send your Noto?

I’m not planning to make it my big send it rig. I have my EXB here still in the box for that. But I do want to bash it and not shred the chassis and it’s getting pretty scratched up from gravel, rocks and such. I think the skid plates make sense and the EXB front bumper. Maybe chassis braces but not worried about going too crazy. Don’t think I need to. If I start bending stuff I’ll upgrade. The EXB bumper looks very effective so that makes sense. In fact I can take a couple things off of my unopened EXB and order new ones. Hmmm.

Keep it simple, replace the shock ends with plastic (stock d fine), better those break than something important ;)

Install an RMP bumper and wheelie bar in the back. Outcast bumper and RPM bumper in the front, have had some serious hits on this combo and it's very strong. Also, put stainless steel skid plates on top of all that...slammed into a tree yesterday and the only damage was to the light bar I'd literally just mounted ;)

View attachment 94698

View attachment 94699

View attachment 94700
What does the rear bumper help with? Do you bash with the wheelie bar on? Thx

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back