Need tips and suggestions for paint!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Vorteks
So I am no newbie when it comes to art, I actually draw quite a bit(mostly in pencil) but I do know my colors, contrast, etc. I tried painting my Kraton 4s shell with Tamiya paint, but that stuff is too brittle for me. I also see others use Spaz Stix and Duratrax rattle cans. I prefer the rattle can route. Are there any other points I could potentially use that aren't over priced/gimmicky that I could get from say an auto parts, home improvement or department store? My biggest issue is waiting for Amazon or eBay packages to show up. 🤣 Could also use any suggestions on masking tape that I could also use for stencils and won't leave residue behind like my painters tape did.

Honestly man all the rust oleum spray paints work just fine for me its just real important to prep the body clean the inside of the rc body with warm water and dishsoap and to scuff the inside with like 200 and up grit sandpaper or evan a brand new dish sponge with the blue abrasive side and yea spay from a distance first coat you go to heavy on the first couple coats it'll crack and chip when you crash but i use the off white painters tape for taping off like from family dollar and

Maybe this will help

Maybe this will help
I have already seen it. Just asking what other members are using for paint, masking tape and their stencil process. Appreciate the feedback from both of you though. Didn't know I needed to scuff the inside though. I thought these shells were ready to paint out of the box. Now I know.

You can scuff and wash the body out with dish soap and wipe it dry with a lint free cloth and make sure its completely dry. You can use a red scotch brite pad to scuff.

You scuff to give the paint to bite on to. So you need to completely scuff it. Now the Krylon paint idk. I only use RC paint

Don't scuff the window areas if your going to leave them clear. And I've used normal decorators masking tape and it lifted during painting and caused issues. I now only use tamiya tape and never had an issue.

I use.. sometimes Plasti dip paints. 5 coats give or take , makes it easier to peal off and change the color. Plasti flexes and will take more in a crash.

Yea just a light to medium scuff nothing deep the paint will fill the scuff and yea give the paint something to grab on to and theres like a fine residual oil from the molding process and idk about krylon but honestly when you get the clear rc body and cut the wheel well you can practice on that material but like i said rust oleum makes spray paints just for plastic go to like walmart or home depot and read the cans and i also back my paint job on the inside with flex seal spray can prepping is crucial clean it real good and the first 2-3 coats put on super light ive never used any rc recommended stuff for my rcs i use hardware supplies and it comes out crisp
I used this to achieve this im not a big fan of like designs and what not like flames and all that stencil stuff id do like stripes or two tone lol im a classic guy or maybe a camo wrap like for a actual car there pretty cheep

Attachments

• 93A6889A-27D9-44DF-999B-9C2A9169F1A0.jpeg
    93A6889A-27D9-44DF-999B-9C2A9169F1A0.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 555975BE-306A-457B-AF7D-DAE6916C5060.jpeg
    555975BE-306A-457B-AF7D-DAE6916C5060.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 66
Yea just a light to medium scuff nothing deep the paint will fill the scuff and yea give the paint something to grab on to and theres like a fine residual oil from the molding process and idk about krylon but honestly when you get the clear rc body and cut the wheel well you can practice on that material but like i said rust oleum makes spray paints just for plastic go to like walmart or home depot and read the cans and i also back my paint job on the inside with flex seal spray can prepping is crucial clean it real good and the first 2-3 coats put on super light ive never used any rc recommended stuff for my rcs i use hardware supplies and it comes out crisp
I used this to achieve this im not a big fan of like designs and what not like flames and all that stencil stuff id do like stripes or two tone lol im a classic guy or maybe a camo wrap like for a actual car there pretty cheep
Dude that looks sick! Is that sitting on a Senton or Mojave? The body is awesome and I love that green. I already ordered some paint. Got a good deal on 3 cans of Duratrax paint and it's about the same price as the rustoleum. I cleaned the body and dried it thoroughly, just didn't scuff it. So that's why the paint chipped. It wasn't the Tamiya. It was my lack of prep work. But I'll know now for my windows. I'm probably just going to use the decals that comes with the kit. I'll paint them black from the inside though. Was going to tint them but decided not to waste the money. Appreciate your help though. You're a life saver on paint!

Dude that looks sick! Is that sitting on a Senton or Mojave? The body is awesome and I love that green. I already ordered some paint. Got a good deal on 3 cans of Duratrax paint and it's about the same price as the rustoleum. I cleaned the body and dried it thoroughly, just didn't scuff it. So that's why the paint chipped. It wasn't the Tamiya. It was my lack of prep work. But I'll know now for my windows. I'm probably just going to use the decals that comes with the kit. I'll paint them black from the inside though. Was going to tint them but decided not to waste the money. Appreciate your help though. You're a life saver on paint!
Its on a senton 3s and yea ive ruined a body before I figured all that out and thanks its a semi gloss hunter green & yea i kept mine windows clear i put a led on the roof of the inside lights up the rc its my show body well it was lmao its beat now

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back