Nero a good choice for me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo_Bravo

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on whether or not a Nero 6s BLX is the right RC for me. I hadn't driven an RC truck since I was a kid in the 90's. I'm talking with my neighbor around the corner and he breaks out a modded HPI Blitz. I had a great time launching it off the curb and popping wheelies. I did a couple of cringe worthy cartwheels as well. I was surprised by the power it had compared to my old 9.6v NiMh Tycos and had a silly grin on my face the whole time. My wife was there and decided that an RC Truck would be a great gift for me and suggested I look into one. Since then I started educating myself and learning about the industry and different RCs on the market.
I liked the Blitz, but didn't like the way the it hung up in tall grass, but it handled well and was quick. I considered the 4wd 6s Savage Flux but it was at the top of what I want to spend and I heard from an LHS that HPI had been acquired by another company and they were struggling to get replacement parts. I also saw several complaints about drive line problems with the Savage so I moved on. I read up on Traxxas and was really not impressed by what I heard. I had almost given up the hunt but then stumbled across the Nero and was very impressed by the design and the diff brain. That being said, even though the Nero with diff brain can be had for just over $400 right now I'm not certain its the best truck for me. I already have some expensive hobbies and don't have much free time between the job, kids and multiple home improvement projects that are underway. I'd like something durable and low maintenance, not because I couldn't fix something, but because I don't want to spend a bunch of time fixing a broken Truck. I also don't want to go down a rabbit hole doing a bunch of mods. I have a money pit in my garage already.
So, I have easy access to some large grassy fields and a quiet street. I don't see much bashing going on, but realize that stuff happens. I'm okay with minor component breakage from time to time and can appreciate a design where cheap, easy to access parts break first. I have heard about many of the issues with the Nero suspension design. I have read up on other issues but also hear the owners with the most complaints end their sentence with, "...but I was really, really bashing my truck."

Should I pull the trigger on a BLX with diff brain and 3s batteries? Consider something less expensive from Arrma or another manufacturer since I still need to buy batteries and a charger? Something that will handle better? Something requiring less maintenance? Should I limit myself to 2s batteries even though it doesn't cost that much more to go with 3s? Should I just wait until my home improvement projects are done and my son gets a little older so he can join in on the fun?

I've had my Nero for 9 months now and have't broke a thing on it. It is a awesome beast of a truck, it looks intimidating to work on, but if you don't push it you won't need to. Most breakages happen on high jumps or pushing it too hard with all diffs locked, if you don't do that you should be fine.
I drive mine mostly on 4s as it is fast enough for me, I only use 6s if I have a large open area.
I also have a Talion and I use that for racing on a track with friends, but for my type of bashing the Nero is still best.

I'm looking for some feedback on whether or not a Nero 6s BLX is the right RC for me. I hadn't driven an RC truck since I was a kid in the 90's. I'm talking with my neighbor around the corner and he breaks out a modded HPI Blitz. I had a great time launching it off the curb and popping wheelies. I did a couple of cringe worthy cartwheels as well. I was surprised by the power it had compared to my old 9.6v NiMh Tycos and had a silly grin on my face the whole time. My wife was there and decided that an RC Truck would be a great gift for me and suggested I look into one. Since then I started educating myself and learning about the industry and different RCs on the market.
I liked the Blitz, but didn't like the way the it hung up in tall grass, but it handled well and was quick. I considered the 4wd 6s Savage Flux but it was at the top of what I want to spend and I heard from an LHS that HPI had been acquired by another company and they were struggling to get replacement parts. I also saw several complaints about drive line problems with the Savage so I moved on. I read up on Traxxas and was really not impressed by what I heard. I had almost given up the hunt but then stumbled across the Nero and was very impressed by the design and the diff brain. That being said, even though the Nero with diff brain can be had for just over $400 right now I'm not certain its the best truck for me. I already have some expensive hobbies and don't have much free time between the job, kids and multiple home improvement projects that are underway. I'd like something durable and low maintenance, not because I couldn't fix something, but because I don't want to spend a bunch of time fixing a broken Truck. I also don't want to go down a rabbit hole doing a bunch of mods. I have a money pit in my garage already.
So, I have easy access to some large grassy fields and a quiet street. I don't see much bashing going on, but realize that stuff happens. I'm okay with minor component breakage from time to time and can appreciate a design where cheap, easy to access parts break first. I have heard about many of the issues with the Nero suspension design. I have read up on other issues but also hear the owners with the most complaints end their sentence with, "...but I was really, really bashing my truck."

Should I pull the trigger on a BLX with diff brain and 3s batteries? Consider something less expensive from Arrma or another manufacturer since I still need to buy batteries and a charger? Something that will handle better? Something requiring less maintenance? Should I limit myself to 2s batteries even though it doesn't cost that much more to go with 3s? Should I just wait until my home improvement projects are done and my son gets a little older so he can join in on the fun?

As a starter vehicle..absolutely not...

any of the other arrma vehicles will be just as fun..just as fast (1/8scale 6s versions)...less parts...etc.

my nero is totally cool..in fact awesome...but my outcast can do just as much..with less issues because many of us are not as good as we think..mid air corrections etc...nero requires a bit more care and caution when bashing..4x the parts and 4x the issues......senton..tallion..typhon..krayton..outcast...those cars can be bashed (or not) with alot less reservation...and all of them are just as capable...if not more..

so you got 2 different answers...in the end do what you want...but if nero is going to be your first Arrma vehicle...i can bet you you will be looking to get one of the others for the very reasons i mentioned...and parts avail??...we are all facing that now...

good luck..have fun...

I have a fazon and love it,but I only use it for racing. I don't bash or beat my stuff.i race it on 4 cells 6 is to much for racing. for you the outcast or kraton might be a better choise.

Wow that price is really tempting considering it was 600 when released! Ironic that the Outcast and Kraton are now more expensive! That being said the others might be right.. The Nero is pretty complicated and for a beginner the other trucks would probably be tougher and a lot more user friendly. Depends on how much you think you would enjoy the locking diffs I guess!

As a 40 year old who jumoed back into the hobby just last year i understand where your at. I started with a traxxas stampede 4x4, then a slash 4x4 and finally a Kraton, I am now looking to sell my Traxxas ones and get a Nero as well. For the price right now it's a pretty good deal. I spend way more on Traxxas 1/10 scale to get something that any of the 1/8 scale Arrma trucks could get me out of the box. Oh well, lesson learned.

If your not hard bashing, just grass and pavement I think the nero might be a good deal but fixing broken stuff will certainly be harder than on a Kraton.

Right!
The Nero on 6S is a heavy beast which will be controlled.
Just take a look in the forum and check the threads of the Nero...
If you have more than basic skills, you can try starting with 4S and set the punch level a bit softer.
Short time after that you want 6S but only if you have wide areas where you can drive.
On small places 4S is mostly enough.
But it is also correct that the Nero needs much more time to maintain.

Hi I brought a Nero 3 months ago. I love the truck. First the weight. It is heavy! It hurts you when jumping. It tends to land hard. But I have see people launch them. Ten feet high with a distance of twenty feet! But in a grassy field the weight helps. As far as to work on. If you remove 4 screws on each side. And unplug the 3 motor wires. The wire for the stearing servo. And the center diff servo. The whole thing slides out the bottom. And you have the heart of the truck in your hands. And I would start with 2 2 cell batteries. 3 cell batteries make the truck stupid fast!!! I haven't found alot tires that will keep up with it. Most balloon!! The diffs in the Nero are also large. I can't speak about the outcast. But I think the diffs in the Nero are larger? You can find parts cheap on eBay. I brought a extra front or rear diff. Complete for a couple of extra dollars. I would buy a couple of packs of axle pins. And rod ends. The new Neros have the big rock rod ends. And just like all RC bodies. They all need to be reenforced. And all of these trucks need lots of room to run. Even at 20 mph you can cover larg distance.

I have the Big Rock. I for the most part, love it. Its heavy and has a lot of power thus more likely to break something if your driving it like a stadium truck. It is heavier duty than the original Nero so that helped with some of the common breakage. I don't jump mine and like to do speed runs but was cartwheeling like crazy and that was beating up my truck. I finally got a wheelie bar and rarely cartwheel any more.
As for the batteries, I do 3s, you can tune down the esc to have less punch and you can use the remote to tune down the throttle end points. This is what I do when my nephews want to drive it, I can make it's top speed as slow as I want with the remote, kinda like setting a rev limiter.
The truck is some work to tear down but after you do it several times, it gets easier. If your not driving it like a stadium truck and jumping or doing 20 cartwheels, there's not much maintanence.
Arrma has a good warranty but it is a bit difficult to get parts if you need them fast, Tower Hobbies is the distributor and they seem to be out of stock and back ordered a lot lately.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back