Big Rock Nero "Controversial"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grihn

It's small, but it's fierce!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Infraction
  4. Outcast 4s
  5. Senton 6s
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Vendetta
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
I'm a bit of a sucker for unique things. Even the more common stuff I own, I can't leave alone until I customize it to make sure there's not one that's exactly the same. Because of this taste, the Nero has caught my eye as something that I might want to spend some money on if I can find the right deal, and in looking at some options that are currently on the market, I saw the truck referred to as "controversial."

What's so controversial about the Nero? What makes it unique? I know it uses (or can use) something called a "Diff brain" but I'm not sure what that is? So Nero owners, tell me all about the truck!

The controversial part is the cantilever suspension which Traxxas sued them for.

But from my understanding Traxxas didn't own the patent until after the NERO came out. Then they sued them. Thats the first arrma that caught my eye was the Nero. The bigrock specifically. But all 3 were cool just set up a little different.

We should just boycott Traxxas, lol. You can’t really stop them though, last night my friend bought a Traxxas Rustler as a first hobby grade RC.

If you find a decently clean one go for it I say! Unique to the truck in the sense to me is the twin plate style chassis as well. The cantilever suspension as others mentioned. And it did come with a much better esc and motor in my opinion then the 6S lineup today. Also like you mentioned the diff brain locking rear, center Or all 3 diffs for different driving experience. It’s a cool truck. I wish they still made them. I bought a fazon when they came out. I sold a fazon and Nero and I just have my Nero Big Rock left.

I'm a bit of a sucker for unique things. Even the more common stuff I own, I can't leave alone until I customize it to make sure there's not one that's exactly the same. Because of this taste, the Nero has caught my eye as something that I might want to spend some money on if I can find the right deal, and in looking at some options that are currently on the market, I saw the truck referred to as "controversial."

What's so controversial about the Nero? What makes it unique? I know it uses (or can use) something called a "Diff brain" but I'm not sure what that is? So Nero owners, tell me all about the truck!
This is me to the T! (y)
I also had the same question about the Nero as it caught my attention for its nice suspension.
It boggles my mind that Trx won that law suite as a cantilever suspension is a universal setup used in both rc's and real auto's. grrr

This is me to the T! (y)
I also had the same question about the Nero as it caught my attention for its nice suspension.
It boggles my mind that Trx won that law suite as a cantilever suspension is a universal setup used in both rc's and real auto's. grrr
Gotta love the "justice" system. There are people who've won settlements for far more ridiculous things than that! I recall a case of a young man who was trying to steal spotlights off of a high-school roof and fell through a skylight. He was permanently disabled and won a settlement for a few hundred thousand PLUS $1500/mo for the rest of his life. The settlement came because the skylight was painted over or tinted and not "visibly marked," even know the CRIMINAL was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.

Gotta love the "justice" system. There are people who've won settlements for far more ridiculous things than that! I recall a case of a young man who was trying to steal spotlights off of a high-school roof and fell through a skylight. He was permanently disabled and won a settlement for a few hundred thousand PLUS $1500/mo for the rest of his life. The settlement came because the skylight was painted over or tinted and not "visibly marked," even know the CRIMINAL was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.
Now that is nuts!

Nero's are still out there, be patient one will come your way. Some people sit on them because they are getting harder to come by. Ive seen really clean ones from time to time on Ebay and such when someone needs cash or just wants to thin the heard for something else.

The controversial part is the cantilever suspension which Traxxas sued them for.
Lay down suspension the fact that they have cantilevers is irrelevant.
But from my understanding Traxxas didn't own the patent until after the NERO came out. Then they sued them. Thats the first arrma that caught my eye was the Nero. The bigrock specifically. But all 3 were cool just set up a little different.
Nope patent filed back in 2008.
We should just boycott Traxxas, lol. You can’t really stop them though, last night my friend bought a Traxxas Rustler as a first hobby grade RC.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

So much misinformation being posted in this thread.

Actually you gotta love our patent system that allowed someone to patent the orientation of shocks on a toy car.

Last edited:
Lay down suspension the fact that they have cantilevers is irrelevant.

Nope patent filed back in 2008.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

So much misinformation being posted in this thread.

Actually you gotta love our patent system that allowed someone to patent the orientation of shocks on a toy car.
@slick2500 I was hoping you would set us(me) straight. Your knowledge of these things is impressive. Thanks 👍
Greed kills! 🤣
Uh, why is Traxxas still going? 🤔🤣

The Nero was discontinued because Arrma copied too many patented designs from the Revo. http://upshotservices.s3.amazonaws....d7f7/56d5601a-6358-4a64-86e0-9fa103b57b2a.pdf

The way the shocks were oriented in the chassis was an infringement on this patent. Again I think it was stupid that a patent was even aloud to be applied to something like this https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/37/d3/ea/2185b7ac416597/USD567886.pdf

Revo

TRAXXAS-Revo-Rot-RTR-3.3R-TQ-Wireless-12V-Lader-und-TSM-3050895-a269045.jpg

Nero

VZWDANRK6CVQVT98CBD4F4WY8TFE6CWZXANNG4EDWZZG4QGKUA.jpg

The steering setup while not being a direct 1:1 copy was close enough to infringe on this patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US7793951B2/en

Revo

qw35wfeesad.jpg

Nero

4536rfesred.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back