Nero down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dopeman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Raider
  3. Senton 6s
Went out for a little bash today and something went wrong. Flipped over, gave it a couple shots of throttle trying to self right like I've seen on the videos. No luck. Drivetrain got extremely loud and when I flipped it myself, it wouldn't move. Motor would spin, but that's it. Funny, when I started out, I was thinking about how much quieter my Nero is compared to my Senton. Any thoughts on what stripped? Still have all the teeth on my pinion.

Bone stock. Haven't modded anything. Probably my fourth or fifth run.

If the motor is spinning and the pinion is not............check the grub screw and see if the motor shaft is spinning inside the pinion.............which should be the case if the pinion is not turning with the motor.

The pinion is turning. I'm thinking that it isn't turning the spur gear. But I can't see any teeth missing on the spur either. Could the mesh be off now?

Can you look down in the body and see if they are in alignment? I looked on mine and can see in there barely............... If the pinion is spinning and the spur is not, I would believe it is an alignment issue..pinion not in line with the spur. If it were to be a mesh issue it would have to be wayyyyyyyyyyyy out there for the teeth not to engage with the spur and something would need to be broken IMO for that to happen.

Have you pulled the bottom skid plate/ belly pan to get a better look?

Last edited:
I pulled it off. Couldn't see anything out of whack, but I'm kind of a noob. Don't know what could've broken. It was on its back and I gave it a couple shots of throttle then something went south.

check one by one.
Motor -> OK
Pinion -> OK
Center diff -> gears locking pins??
The other diffs -> ?
Is one pin into the driveshafts broken-> ?
Driveshaft snapped out-> ?

One by one and you will find the reason.
Maybe take the exploded view picture to mark what you already checked.

Pulled the drive train. It was easier than I thought, we'll see if I can get it back together. Got a good look at my spur gear. A bunch of the teeth look chewed up. I ordered a new one from tower so, fingers crossed.

Glad you found your issue. You'll be fine getting it back together!!! Remember if you have any doubts, always take pictures during dis-assembly.

Glad you found your issue. You'll be fine getting it back together!!! Remember if you have any doubts, always take pictures during dis-assembly.

Good idea. Too late. I'll try to remember that next time.

Okay, I replaced the spur gear. Problem solved. Nero is mobile again. Potential problem though, driveline sound a lot louder now. Used to be so quiet, now it's noisy. Excess gear noise? Sounds like my Senton now. Did I set the mesh too tight? Will this give me mechanical problems or just noise? Should I try to take it all back part and adjust it? Should I just drive it and se what happens?

Had a similar problem myself, noticed heavy landings on its roof is enough to move the center gearbox on its adjusting cams, putting pinion/spur mesh out, loctited the cam locking bolts, hoping that does it

To adjust the pinion gear to the spur gear-> put a thin peace of paper between the gears and fix the motor mount.
Afterwards take out the paper by turning the gears. Normally you should have a good distance between the gears.
I do mostly maintain new gears with a technical fluid with PTFE.
Do you got the right modul of tooth? The Neros have Modul 1.

....No more ideas now... it´s too late here for brainstorming..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back