Nero ESC Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasherT

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hey everyone, I am at 15 runs now with my new Nero and The ESC does not want to stay mounted, I have cleaned up the surfaces and replaced the two sided tape a bunch of times now. Any thoughts on a good solid long term mounting method?

Mine came detached from the foam double sided mounting tape out of the box. The weight of the ESC is too much for servo tape. So far I've used heavy duty 3M duct tape that I folded over onto itself and stick that to the foam padding that was left over from the mounting tape. I planned to glue the inside folded over part but the tape seems to be doing well on its own. Got the tape at home depot. Also used the same tape to reinforce the inside of the body and repair other broken body parts on another buggy. Good stuff. I guess a good double sided tape would work too but I already had it on hand.

The rebranded hobbywing esc has 4 threaded holes in bottom ffor mounting. haven't done it myself but heard you can remove plate esc is mounted on, measure and drill holes and use screws to securely mount esc with 4 screws. The doublesided tape is holding up good on my Nero so far but once it comes undone this is how I'm gonna mount mine.

DIY-ESC-plate
Just 5mm aluminium to lift up the ESC a bit, therefore to get a little clearance to remove the shock screw.
Basically it was just designed for the Big Rock because the Nero already has a plate... but that is from plastic and has not enough material to cover the screws to fix the ESC to the plate.
I had changed the design a little to make it fit also for girlfriends Nero.
Onto the flat surface I had put a bit thermal compounds between plate and ESC but I think it was not necessary because the bottom of the BLX200 ist painted.

ESC.jpg
IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

DIY-ESC-plate
Just 5mm aluminium to lift up the ESC a bit, therefore to get a little clearance to remove the shock screw.
Basically it was just designed for the Big Rock because the Nero already has a plate... but that is from plastic and has not enough material to cover the screws to fix the ESC to the plate.
I had changed the design a little to make it fit also for girlfriends Nero.
Onto the flat surface I had put a bit thermal compounds between plate and ESC but I think it was not necessary because the bottom of the BLX200 ist painted.

Did you cut these yourself or did you have them made by someone for you? I am interested in getting one and wondering what my options are.

mine hasn't come off yet but would also be interested in picking one up.

I used gorilla glue sealant. Not the glue. I also tied down with fishing line. I no longer have any issues with my ESC coming loose.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I did remove the ESC and found a channel between the mount plate and chassis that I could run a small zip tie through to secure. Seems to work great after 6 good runs. I will post the pics!

Attachments

• 20170604_115105.jpg
    20170604_115105.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20170604_114411.jpg
    20170604_114411.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20170604_114422.jpg
    20170604_114422.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20170604_115105.jpg
    20170604_115105.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170604_114422.jpg
    20170604_114422.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 94
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I did remove the ESC and found a channel between the mount plate and chassis that I could run a small zip tie through to secure. Seems to work great after 6 good runs. I will post the pics!
@BasherT, looks great, I might have to try this out. I also noticed your shocks are in the outer most position. Some users have reported that changing the position to the third or fourth inner most post position helps with preventing shock rod bending and helps the shock perches clear the rocker arms. Not sure if you've changed the shock perches or still have the originals. I changed mine out to the Hobao hyper shock dampers kit (Part #90049) to help with clearance.

@BasherT, looks great, I might have to try this out. I also noticed your shocks are in the outer most position. Some users have reported that changing the position to the third or fourth inner most post position helps with preventing shock rod bending and helps the shock perches clear the rocker arms. Not sure if you've changed the shock perches or still have the originals. I changed mine out to the Hobao hyper shock dampers kit (Part #90049) to help with clearance.

Agree 1000% i moved the shocks and did the hobao perches as well. truck drives like an absolute dream and i haven't broken anything yet and I'm stupid with my truck.

@chevyrumble
Sorry for the late delay. I was very busy in the job (not in RC!;) ).
I made this ESC-Plate on my small cnc machine. Needs a lot of time with an 2mm cutting tool ;).
Actual I made these plate three times for my Big Rock, girlfriends and one colleagues Nero.
If I have more time, I´ll try to modify the Design to make this plate to reduce the weight. The actual design is too much massive.
Comes time, comes design change. :)
I just have Vcurve as cnc software, so if you know someone who can modify my data, you can get them from me.

The normal Nero have already a thin plastic ESC-Plate below the glue stripes. Its fixed by two small screws.
But it ist too thin to fix the ESC with screws.

I haven't had any issues with my shocks and I have been driving this thing hard on 6s however have not jumped the truck too much yet, Just getting used to the speed! I am planning to take it to the local BMX track or skate park and get some air so to speak! I will definitely make the adjustment suggested before doing so! Thanks for the advice!

Gorilla glue makes a great double sided tape. one is rated at 15lbs and the other one i saw is rated at 30. I picked some up this weekend at Walmart for around $6

the glue tape and specially the foam in-between is the main problem.
On my Big Rock the glue tape had given up. On girlfriends Nero the foam got loosen from the glue tape.
Both ESC´s have screws now.

Last edited:
Sure you can glue the ESC with super glue, but how to unmount it because of a damaging?
Also it is easier to loosen two screws and the ESC is removed from the car.
I tried also a tie zip on girlfriends Nero, but after unmount the ESC I wasn't be able to get it back into the small channel below the plastic plate.
So I made a new plate for her toy ;).
One more positive point of the plate are that we have now enough play to remove the shock screws without removing the ESC.

I had my ESC come loose after one session at the local track. 3M double sided tape held it down quite well. Now after running today, I noticed the thin plate the ESC is mounted to is loose. Going to tackle that seeing as I have to tear it down to find out why my center and front diffs are not locking and the servos just want to buzz.

So not to dig up an old thread but just an idea to toss around. I was tearing down my Nero yesterday and in moving the motor wires, I removed the small plastic strap like piece that's in part # 320246. I also had the ESC removed to screw it to the mounting plate and throw a zip tie around it for safe measure. Anyhow, this little strap looks like it'll line up almost perfect with the mounting holes for the ESC plate. You'd need to make some standoffs and get longer screws but I may just try it. I'll report back if I'm successful.

Attachments

• 320246.JPG
    320246.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 45
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back