Nero ESC Shutdown Under Load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubbl-A

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
So I've been running the Nero in snow a lot since the big dump in PA.

Yesterday while running in maybe 6in of really wet heavy snow, I could only hold full throttle for a few seconds before the ESC cut power just like when the you would hit low voltage cutoff. And few seconds later, i'm back to normal until I pin the trigger and after a few seconds it the same scenario.

Swapped in a fresh set of lipos and I got a little better but still happened. So I'm thinking with the Nero getting even heavier with the added weight of the snow, I'm overloading the stock electronics. Further testing, I drained 2 more lipos while staying to mostly the roads and minimal snow running and all was well with many full throttle passes.

What does everyone think? Time for a Max6?:woot:

max6 is too small,-> max8!
You are writing about snow,.. how was the temperature of the Lipo´s?
You know, within low temperatures, the capability of Lipo´s goes less!
It could be that the voltage was broken down and the Lipo-cut-off was activated.

Aren't the Nero electronics re-branded Max8 to begin with?

I noticed that when I ran in the cold I would get some rather disappointing run times. Like @lonee said the lipos don't like the cold.

max6 is too small,-> max8!
You are writing about snow,.. how was the temperature of the Lipo´s?
You know, within low temperatures, the capability of Lipo´s goes less!
It could be that the voltage was broken down and the Lipo-cut-off was activated.

Haha, but I thought the Max6 was the 8s/higher amp rated ESC...I'll have to look it up again.

I agree about the lipos in cold weather. Maybe with the cold combined with the load i'm placing on them I'm hitting the preset lipo cutoff as the lipos are dropping down voltage more aggressively. I bet if I could change the cutoff to something a tad lower this may not be an issue.

Also, the Lipos were just a tad warm.

Aren't the Nero electronics re-branded Max8 to begin with?

I noticed that when I ran in the cold I would get some rather disappointing run times. Like @lonee said the lipos don't like the cold.

That's what I though it was. Re-purposed Max 8.
Yes, I'll blow through 2 7600MAH 3S packs in no time running in snow and cold...

I have the same problem. But i think my RFI lipos are withbto low C rate. With stock tires is ok but slingshots it cutoffs.

Uups, yes, that was an mistake. I confused with the ESC for 1:10! Sorry for that.
Hmm, I had just one time an similar situation, but that was inferences from a damaged floodlight on our shocker field where we sometimes driving. In one corner of the field all of our cars has some stoppers, like fail safe. Curious was that not ever this happened. Just sometimes.
After repair the light, nothing happens with interferences and "irritations"! ;)

I have not more idea but the ESC was buggy.....

Regards,
lonee

I have the same problem. But i think my RFI lipos are withbto low C rate. With stock tires is ok but slingshots it cutoffs.

Yes, I was running the slingshots as well and the snow was making the truck really heavy. My higher "C" lipos did better than my lower ones.
Sometimes I think the stock lipo cutoff setting is set to high. So under high load, the lipos dip down to the cutoff setting momentarily and shuts the truck down.

*Edit* I just checked the Arrma site. Stock cutoff is 3.2v which is lower than I thought...

Uups, yes, that was an mistake. I confused with the ESC for 1:10! Sorry for that.
Hmm, I had just one time an similar situation, but that was inferences from a damaged floodlight on our shocker field where we sometimes driving. In one corner of the field all of our cars has some stoppers, like fail safe. Curious was that not ever this happened. Just sometimes.
After repair the light, nothing happens with interferences and "irritations"! ;)

I have not more idea but the ESC was buggy.....

Regards,
lonee

Haha! No worries!

Last edited:
Ok, I think I found what could be causing the cutoffs...
I noticed the pinion and spur mesh looked too tight. If the mesh is too tight I can definitely see that the ESC would struggle and overload. So I reset the gear mesh and put it back together and hopefully get a test run soon.
While I was at it, I re-routed the motor wires to avoid damage from rubbing the shocks.

Well, that was the issue.
Ran the Nero hard trying to replicate the problem and it just kept on going. Wide open passes through snow and no cutoff issues.
Now I know to make sure the pinion/spur mesh is perfect before I run!

Yea, give it a quick look.
I'm used to setting the mesh on my Kraton and Senton and it's very easy. The Nero is a bit different with it's cam style adjustments. So what I thought was a good mesh, ended up being too tight.

So I've been running the Nero in snow a lot since the big dump in PA.

Yesterday while running in maybe 6in of really wet heavy snow, I could only hold full throttle for a few seconds before the ESC cut power just like when the you would hit low voltage cutoff. And few seconds later, i'm back to normal until I pin the trigger and after a few seconds it the same scenario.

Swapped in a fresh set of lipos and I got a little better but still happened. So I'm thinking with the Nero getting even heavier with the added weight of the snow, I'm overloading the stock electronics. Further testing, I drained 2 more lipos while staying to mostly the roads and minimal snow running and all was well with many full throttle passes.

What does everyone think? Time for a Max6?:woot:

I've towed my 35lbs 2 year old on a sled at -5 Celsius for 10+min with my Nero 6s and 5600mah 60c lipos... Batteries were drained about 70%

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back