Nero For Work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefD

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Picked up the Nexo Diff Brain (Blue) to use for work.
We need to inspect some storm drains and other large piping and it is VERY expensive to have the TV crews come in and do it. 3000 feet would run about $10-$12K.

So, including upgrades, we are hoping to use the Nero (and have some fun doing it). The is what we are doing and how we are setting up the truck. I am still VERY new to RC, but have been doing tons of research. Take a look at what we are doing and using and feel free to chime in with helpful suggestions or opinions. I will post some photos as we get into the upgrades.

1. Nero 6s BLX, 4X4, Diff Brain
2. Venom Pro Duo 80W charger
3. 1 Pair Power Hobby Pro Lipo 5200mAh, 50C, 3S batteries (already planning to purchase 2 more pair and more powerful) - (need some help here for the longest lasting, highest power battery we can use).
4. Graupner Radio S1006.PRO.S mz-24 PRO 12 Channel 2.4G.HZ HoTT Color TFT Radio System Mode 1/2 (Silver)
5. Turnigy Twin Search Light w/ Pan and Tilt
6. RunCam OWL PLUS 700TVL FPV Camera OSD Wide Angle 150 Degree DC 5-22V IR Blocked Orange
7. RunCam 2 Mini FPV Action Camera FOV 170 Full HD 1080P 60fps Built-in WiFi APP (Orange)
8. Flysight Black Pearl RC801 5.8Ghz 7" HD Screen Diversity Monitor with Integrated Battery, 1024x600
9. Flysight Black Pearl RC801 5.8Ghz 7" HD Screen Diversity Monitor with Integrated Battery, 1024x600
10. Propan 2 pan/tilt

Probably need some help on swapping out the stock radio for the Graupner and connecting the pan/tilt kits and adding lights.

Okay, first test run. How do I SLOW this thing down? I need a slower take off and lower throttle speed. I THINK I can do this with the new Graupner controller, but can it be adjust on the car?

Okay, first test run. How do I SLOW this thing down? I need a slower take off and lower throttle speed. I THINK I can do this with the new Graupner controller, but can it be adjust on the car?

Adjust the punch settings down to 1, that will help with acceleration. Google blx200 punch settings and there are several videos to help.

4s would be slower, so (2) 2s packs but if your going slow the 6s setup will give you longer run times. Smcracing.com has some packs with higher mAh rating that will give you longer run times as well. First you need to slow it down.

Smaller, less teeth, pinion gear would slow it down as well.

Why on earth did you pick the nero for such a job?..

out of the gate i think you got the wrong tool ..krayton or outcast would have been better....lighter...fewer parts to go tits up when you are 3000 feet in...both of those vehicles can do everything the nero can...not to mention ease if replacing parts in the field..

but in the end its still loads cheaper than 12k...but once you goose the throttle with your admitted new to rc trigger happy finger and pop goes a drive shaft ...or you hose up the drive train in crawler mode....

better tie a rope to it...good luck dude...you will need it...

Last edited:
The truck will also run on 1x 3S pack and will be much slower. You will just need to get the Female XT90 'Loop' Connector (Arrma Part #AR390204) to make it work. The Nero is probably not the best vehicle for what you are really trying to do though. Don't get me wrong it's a great truck and a lot of fun, but the stock motor and ESC setup are built to go fast. The truck will cog a lot if you try to drive it slow. There are probably better options out there for what you are trying to do and they are probably less expensive too. To help with the drive ability at slow speeds you might want to look into a sensored motor and ESC setup. As I understand most if not all rock crawlers use sensored systems specifically because they have better control at low speeds.

Adjust the punch settings down to 1, that will help with acceleration. Google blx200 punch settings and there are several videos to help.

4s would be slower, so (2) 2s packs but if your going slow the 6s setup will give you longer run times. Smcracing.com has some packs with higher mAh rating that will give you longer run times as well. First you need to slow it down.

Yeah, I was reading that on another post too about the 2s packs. Might give that a try. smaller gear makes since too. At this point, I am so new to this, I have no idea how to do that yet. LOL! I will do the punch settings too, but that still may not do what I need by itself. Thanks!

out of the gate i think you got the wrong tool ..krayton or outcast would have been better....lighter...fewer parts to go tits up when you are 3000 feet in...both of those vehicles can do everything the nero can...not to mention ease if replacing parts in the field..

but in the end its still loads cheaper than 12k...but once you goose the throttle with your admitted new to rc trigger happy finger and pop goes a drive shaft ...or you hose up the drive train in crawler mode....

better tie a rope to it...good luck dude...you will need it...[/QUOTE]

LOL!! Because I had no idea how to start. I was looking at all the post and videos about how tough this truck is supposed to be and waterproof, etc. Too late to send it back now. So that leaves me becoming an RC experiment guy who is probably gonna get hooked like all of you are... Definitely will look into the batteries and pinion change. I'll look at the Krayton and Outcast too. I was already thinking about adding a heavy braided fishing line to the bumper just in case I need a wrecker.

Yeah, I was reading that on another post too about the 2s packs. Might give that a try. smaller gear makes since too. At this point, I am so new to this, I have no idea how to do that yet. LOL! I will do the punch settings too, but that still may not do what I need by itself. Thanks!

be sure to post things for sale here in the classifieds...

Oh man the Nero is such an overkill for what you need to use it for. Stop using work as an excuse for buying top of the line RC bashers!

LOL!! Because I had no idea how to start. I was looking at all the post and videos about how tough this truck is supposed to be and waterproof, etc. Too late to send it back now. So that leaves me becoming an RC experiment guy who is probably gonna get hooked like all of you are... Definitely will look into the batteries and pinion change. I'll look at the Krayton and Outcast too. I was already thinking about adding a heavy braided fishing line to the bumper just in case I need a wrecker.[/QUOTE]
Just get out and practice with it. With all the stuff your going to put on it your going to have to practice with that weight. The distance and I would assume some obstacles will just take some time. Adjust the punch control and practice. Have fun at work.

Very hard to slow this truck down to do the task your about to do. I would suggest looking into Rock crawling trucks. They are slow, Easy to control and most are water proof. I'm gonna do a lil research for you.

Looks like the Redcat 1/5 Clawback would be a great choice.

I just had a great idea to help you. Buy a Castle ESC and programming card. You can then plug it into your computer and set the throttle curve flat and low.

.. It´s depend of the target. Just slow down can be done by: changing pinion gear to a smaller one, using 4S, setting the endpoints of the transmitter and so on. I think the Nero is not bad for cam using because of its weight and suspension.
On the other hand, If you´ll using them for professional work, you need two persons. One which drive the car with cam (fpv) and the other which controls the video cam.
If you want to mount a cam on the car just for some picts, look for a SC-Truck and put the cam-proline body on them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back