Big Rock Nero, keep or remove diff brain system ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Talion
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Typhon 3s
sorry for the Big Rock prefix, couldn't post without selecting something

I need some advice.
In short, wanted a Nero a bought a nice used one with diff brain about a year and a half ago, ran it for a few times, what a beast on 6S, a bit much for my type of general bashing actually ?
It ended up on the shelf due to a bunch of factors, parts i.e

Now I started to go through it, the beast thing makes more sense now, 17t pinion and locked center diff. Diff brain card seem to work just fine but had a buzzing sound from the locked centerdiff and the front diff does not lock up, the only thing that works right now is the rear, locks and unlocks.

Took the front diff out, all nice except for a dead and stuck servo.Center diff, a bit worn pins and the plastic has worn againt the case, servos not dead but doesn't work and can be moved back and forth with ease.

Now for the advice, should I repair it or remove the diff brain and servos altogether, is it worth the eventual trouble of keeping the diff brain system ?

3_resize.jpg

IMG_9845_resize.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9853_resize.JPG
    IMG_9853_resize.JPG
    969.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9861_resize.JPG
    IMG_9861_resize.JPG
    823.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_9879_resize.JPG
    IMG_9879_resize.JPG
    757.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_9883_resize.JPG
    IMG_9883_resize.JPG
    798.5 KB · Views: 123
That's a nice Nero u got there!
I think it's down to personal preference, obviously the v4 rigs have no diff brain and drive just fine, on my BR the rear went out and I just replaced the diff servo £30 gbp, Ebay, it was because I wasnt changing the modes at a crawl and stripped it out, imo it's a nice thing to have,something different and keeps it original,if yr not bothered about any of that spend the money on upgrades and send it as it is??

sorry for the Big Rock prefix, couldn't post without selecting something

I need some advice.
In short, wanted a Nero a bought a nice used one with diff brain about a year and a half ago, ran it for a few times, what a beast on 6S, a bit much for my type of general bashing actually ?
It ended up on the shelf due to a bunch of factors, parts i.e

Now I started to go through it, the beast thing makes more sense now, 17t pinion and locked center diff. Diff brain card seem to work just fine but had a buzzing sound from the locked centerdiff and the front diff does not lock up, the only thing that works right now is the rear, locks and unlocks.

Took the front diff out, all nice except for a dead and stuck servo.Center diff, a bit worn pins and the plastic has worn againt the case, servos not dead but doesn't work and can be moved back and forth with ease.

Now for the advice, should I repair it or remove the diff brain and servos altogether, is it worth the eventual trouble of keeping the diff brain system ?

View attachment 74654
View attachment 74655
I say keep the diff brain and center lock mechanism/servo. That's what I did with my newly built Nero HD, cause it's the only one I ever lock/unlock. Never really locked the front or rear diffs in my Big Rock, so I deleted them when I built the Nero. Plus you end up with two spare servos and lock mechanisms.

I say keep it. keeps the value up there if you decide to ever sell and I always enjoyed that part when I owned mine.

I agree with keeping it ?, I’m in the process of doing maintenance on all three diffs (whole rig actually) and as much of a PITA it is to work on the reward is having something unique. I’ve had mine 4 years an it still impresses me every time I run it. Who knows, maybe it will be a collectors item someday, or it could just end up a obscure obsolete dust collector. How is yours going?

I agree with keeping it ?, I’m in the process of doing maintenance on all three diffs (whole rig actually) and as much of a PITA it is to work on the reward is having something unique. I’ve had mine 4 years an it still impresses me every time I run it. Who knows, maybe it will be a collectors item someday, or it could just end up a obscure obsolete dust collector. How is yours going?
Wether it becomes a valuable collectable or not isn't too important to me, but I'm glad I have two of them.

Pull the parts and shelve them. You still have a blast without the diff modules IMO. One of mine is the base version, (Non Diff brain) and I enjoy running it thoroughly.
EDIT:
Aww hell, I just realized this was an old thread... sorry.

Pull the parts and shelve them. You still have a blast without the diff modules IMO. One of mine is the base version, (Non Diff brain) and I enjoy running it thoroughly.
EDIT:
no worries, lol. i had forgot about this thread myself, ended up removing all the diff brain stuff and filled the diffs with silicone oil, works like a charm

no worries, lol. i had forgot about this thread myself, ended up removing all the diff brain stuff and filled the diffs with silicone oil, works like a charm
Did you put screws in the six diff lock holes of the case to prevent the oil from coming out?

EDIT:
The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Did you put screws in the six diff lock holes of the case to prevent the oil from coming out?
yes ofc :) sorry i forgot to follow up this thread. It did take while to do all 3, glad i did, really do like the truck a lot of better with some silicone oil tuned diffs and if i wanna try some diff brain switching i got another nero fully intact with all that stuff.

IMG_0144_resize.JPG

IMG_0158_resize.JPG

IMG_0341_resize.JPG

IMG_0261_resize.JPG

Glad I revived this thread now! I have a pair of Neros as well. One with, and without the servos. I'm about to break them both down for a thorough service. Good to know I can make my ND Nero more fun.

Glad I revived this thread now! I have a pair of Neros as well. One with, and without the servos. I'm about to break them both down for a thorough service. Good to know I can make my ND Nero more fun.
nice, yea i always wondered how those ND Neros are set up i guess the cups are grease filled and could benefit from some silicone oil imo, however i think there's only one diffcup available AR310558 so i do wonder how they solved that with the holes, please post some pics when and if you get yours apart.

nice, yea i always wondered how those ND Neros are set up i guess the cups are grease filled and could benefit from some silicone oil imo, however i think there's only one diffcup available AR310558 so i do wonder how they solved that with the holes, please post some pics when and if you get yours apart.
Will do! Just did my 1st center diff. Swapped out the grease in the Sketer and topped it off with 100k. Getting practice in for the Nero. Was pretty simple.

Will do! Just did my 1st center diff. Swapped out the grease in the Sketer and topped it off with 100k. Getting practice in for the Nero. Was pretty simple.
not to make this a Sketer thread but what do you mean swapped out the grease ? the center came with silicone oil right ?

Never could figure out how the grease stayed in the diff cups without the lock mechanism in place.
yes ofc :) sorry i forgot to follow up this thread. It did take while to do all 3, glad i did, really do like the truck a lot of better with some silicone oil tuned diffs and if i wanna try some diff brain switching i got another nero fully intact with all that stuff.

View attachment 197047

View attachment 197048

View attachment 197049

View attachment 197050
Nice! Did you have to tap the threads into the diff cup holes to get the bolts in.

Never could figure out how the grease stayed in the diff cups without the lock mechanism in place.

Nice! Did you have to tap the threads into the diff cup holes to get the bolts in.
Thanks. no, i didn't tap the holes, no need really in that thin alu, just a steady hand slow hand a good hex driver and they self-thread.
I used buttonheads 12.9 M2.5x4mm, shortest i could find yet too long, used loctite and made 'em just flush on the inside.

IMG_0157_resize.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back